General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

down she goes....

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 03:26 PM
nb472
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Default down she goes....

Stopped by the bowling alley to check on my daughter yesterday. Parked the bike and set the security system ( hardley ever use it ). Came back and jumped on without turning the secutity off. Lights are flashing, so I shift to the left and use both hands to reach deep in my right pocket to get the fob. Down she goes. This parking lot sits right in front of a WENDY'S. Two boys run out and ask if they can help me. I say " No thanks I can get it " HERES A TIP: put the bike in gear before lifting. Back down she goes.
I'm sure the people in WENDY'Swere completely entertained, but nothing hurt excepta bruised ego.
Been riding two years and have read that sooner or later it's gonna happen. I had been thinking of taking the engine gaurds off like a friend had done for a more sporty look. Not now. It's very trammatic to see your bike on it's side.

Old 03-24-2007, 03:30 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: down she goes....

I'm glad you and the bike survived o.k. Nothing like playing to an audience is there?

Old 03-24-2007, 03:56 PM
recross
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya gota hate the learning curve....BC

Old 03-24-2007, 04:19 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd just DIE!!!!

I almost dropped my bike about two weeks ago out by the front gate of my property. I live in a small rural town and my house is on a dirt road (yes a nitemare to keep my bike all sparkly, but I do my best!). The entrance at my front gate is uneven and dirt, so it's a real challenge if I get home and the damned gate is closed (usually open most of the time if someone is home). One day I stopped outside the gate and due to the uneven ground my footing wasn't great and the bike started going over to the right!!! How I stopped it from going all the way down I have NO IDEA, but I put everything I had into it and 50% more and hurt my right wrist in the process, but I managed to stop the fall and then miraculously managed to pull her back upright again. She was leaned WAY OVER TO THE RIGHT and the footboard was flexed upward slightly on it's pivot as a result if that gives you an idea.

I saved the bike from a fall and hurt my wrist in the process, but it was worth it and I'd do it again 100 times if I had to to save my Baby!!

Old 03-24-2007, 04:23 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Years ago I was straddling my Yamaha Venture Royal while I was finishing up at a gas pump. I was putting my credit card back in my wallet and the bike started to gradually lean over. For some reason I was pretty lackadaisical about it and kept putting the stuff back in my pocket, while I was trying unsuccessfully to keep the bike from leaning further with my legs. When I finally grabbed the bars to hold it upright, it had leaned beyond the point of return. All I could do was let it down gently. I didn't have any problem getting the bike back upright, due to adrenalin rush from the embarrassment.
I can pretty much guarantee that once you do something like that, the lesson is learned. That should be the last time for me and you to have a bike fall over.
I have wondered what kind of damage would happen to my Fat Boy if it fell over, since it has no engine guards. It will also go further over on its side without the guards , making it more difficult to stand back up.
Tom

Old 03-24-2007, 07:30 PM
Dave_E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to here that, hope the damage is minimal.

Old 03-24-2007, 07:33 PM
onthedish1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If nothing more than your ego is bruised, be grateful, and bruised ego costs little to fix and is easy to live with.

Old 03-24-2007, 07:36 PM
nb472
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Friend once told me "once it starts to go and gets beyond the point of no return, just let it go. The bike can be fixed, your ankle, knee, or back can keep you out a long time." Hard thing to do, but true.

Old 03-24-2007, 07:37 PM
LowriderFXRS
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I watched a guy drop his kick-start Sportster three times one night trying to start it. He was parked outside a tavern,drunker than a war lord, and about every 5th kick it'd fall overon its side. Little did he know the cops were sitting across the street watching the whole show. He finally got it started, roared off down the street and they had him pulled over and arrested within two blocks. All that work for nothing.

Old 03-24-2007, 07:45 PM
djamann
Club Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last year I was riding mine home in February (winter 2006 was great compared to 2007) and decided I needed my glove. I was out in the country and just pulled over and started reaching into my saddlebags for my glove. Reached too far and let the bike lean too far. Next thing I knew, she was going over and I couldn't do anything about it. I was able to set her down gently on the highway bars so no damage. And I was out in the sticks so no one saw me Now if I need something from my saddlebags, I put down the jiffy stand, get off my bike and get what I need. Once is bad enough, twice is [sm=lame.gif]

Quick Reply: down she goes....