General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting a Bike after it's been Sitting

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 10:42 PM
Detroit Iron
Tourer
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Starting a Bike after it's been Sitting

A friend of mine has a couple 2003's that have been sitting at least five years. One is an 883 and the other a big twin. Are there any concerns with starting them after this long? Or, can I just put in new batteries and hit start?

Thanks for the input.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:23 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,326 Likes on 1,452 Posts

I'd dump about 1/2 oz of Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder and let it sit for a few days. This will give it time to saturate and soften any rust that may have formed on the piston rings and/or cylinder walls. Good luck with the bikes.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:20 AM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While you let it soak with a little oil or MMO fogged into the cylinders drain the tank and put in some fresh fuel.

After sitting overnight turn it over with the plugs removed for a few revolutions several times to move some oil through the lifters/pushrods and the oil galleries. You should ground the plugs by snapping the spark plug wires in place and set or have some one hold the base of the plugs against the head or fins to ensure you don't mess up the ignition system while you turn it over.
The ignition system may be protected but not sure on the 2003 models. You for sure won't cause damage if you ground the plugs in any case.

Pop the plugs in and crank it. If the fuel is fresh it should start and you will see oil pressure quickly. If you hear any top end noise for 20-30 seconds its the lifters pumping up but I'm betting they will pump up when you turn it over with the plugs out.

Let us know how it goes. I used this method on my 1996 FLSTN after it had sat for nearly a year and it fired no problems.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:49 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,931 Likes on 2,443 Posts
Default Few things

+1 on the Marvel and that you must change the fuel

Make sure no critters are on your mufflers - trust me on this
Check the aircleaner and intake throat for nests

Me - i'd also change every fluid immediately after you get it started.. Theyre long past shelf life

Old 03-20-2014, 11:15 AM
flibuoy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

All good advice. You don't hear about Marvel much anymore...but it is the answer to freeing up rings etc. put it in ....then just put it in gear and turn motor a bit by moving bike a few times for a couple days. Then go to using battery to spin it over with plugs out a couple times. New gas, maybe with techron added to it, check for critter nests, put the plugs in, fire it up, let it warm good, change fluids in all the holes, ride it easy for a mile or so. Be prepared to see some gas/oil leaks from dried o rings that may or may not go away.

You Might get away with short cuts...but I doubt it

Old 03-20-2014, 12:05 PM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 223 Posts

Remove the plugs and spray in a little fogging oil. A spray will coat the walls all around evenly. Some roll the bike back and forward and spray in a second time and repeat the back and forth. Don't pour a lot of oil or anything else in the cylinder. There should be no rust in there. None. If there is, you'll need an overhaul. All you'll really need is to coat the cylinder walls to restore the lubrication so the piston rings slide with ease on the surfaces. Drain the oil and refill using a new filter. Drain the fuel tank. Put in a new battery. With the plugs still removed crank the engine for three or four cranks. Spray in a little more fogging oil. Crank it agan and let it sit while you do the rest. Remove the air filter and either clean it or replace it. Put in about a gal of fresh fuel. Replace the plugs. Now you're ready to start it up.

Last edited by Bingee; 03-20-2014 at 12:05 PM. Reason: error
Old 03-20-2014, 12:25 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,186 Likes on 6,716 Posts

Assuming the batteries are dead or close to it... If you have to jump start them, don't run them for too long until you get new batteries. It stresses the charging system, and you will end up having to replace the regulator, stator, or both before you get a full riding season out of them.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:45 PM
usraptor
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lastly, before you get ready to take it for a ride, check the tire pressure even if they look okay. The pressure will be minimal if they're not already flat. I'd also replace the tires ASAP even if they have good tread. Dry rot is not your friend and is not always visible.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:50 PM
billatstarbrite
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5-year old fuel is only good as a weed killer. Dump it and put in fresh fuel with an octane booster or Star Tron. MMO? Adding oil to fuel is only going to degrade the combustibility of the fuel, which is the exact opposite of what you need to get these babies up and running again.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:52 PM
Antonio Balls
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,774 Likes on 836 Posts
Default Marvel Mystery

Originally Posted by flibuoy
All good advice. You don't hear about Marvel much anymore...but it is the answer to freeing up rings etc. put it in ....then just put it in gear and turn motor a bit by moving bike a few times for a couple days. Then go to using battery to spin it over with plugs out a couple times. New gas, maybe with techron added to it, check for critter nests, put the plugs in, fire it up, let it warm good, change fluids in all the holes, ride it easy for a mile or so. Be prepared to see some gas/oil leaks from dried o rings that may or may not go away.

You Might get away with short cuts...but I doubt it
As a pilot and airplane owner I can tell you the old timers at the airport always add MMO to the crankcase AND their fuel. Although not an FAA approved additive most airplanes do not fly that frequently and the feeling is MMA keeps the engine primed and moist.

Quick Reply: Starting a Bike after it's been Sitting