Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Training Wheels for Your Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 11:57 AM
Riding Vintage
Former Sponsor
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Training Wheels for Your Harley?

Before Harley came out with the Servi-Car, a Californian company sold a kit that added two small wheels to the back of a standard motorcycle and a tow bar to the front. Back then it was marketed to service stations, but I've seen some modern day trike conversions which definitely use the same basic design.

Check it out on the HDForums homepage: Harleys at Work: The Cycle Tow

Old 03-14-2014, 12:12 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

Those wheels are huge! On the newer version of the trike conversion kits, I know someone who has one and swears by it. I guess if you're a little uneasy and unsure about 2 wheels, it'd be the thing to do. At least they can be removed as your confidence got better.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:44 PM
stockglock1927
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think trikes are goofy but everybody is different. that's what makes life interesting.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:40 PM
Steady Eddy
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I stopped by Rubber City Harley in Akron yesterday. On the showroom floor I saw a new Ultra with a "Insta-Trike" training wheel kit installed. Now, I know that it's "whatever trips your trigger" , but I would be embarrassed to be seen on any bike with 4 wheels.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:47 PM
slozomby
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steady Eddy
, but I would be embarrassed to be seen on any bike with 4 wheels.
i dunno. a spyder with a trike kit might be kinda cool.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:27 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Wait till you guys get to be 80+.
I'll be out riding in the wind on my TriGlide grinning from ear to ear while you're sitting on the couch trying to remember what it was like riding a motorcycle drooling on yourselves and looking "goofy".

I bought a TG a couple years ago and have had more fun then all the bikes I've ever owned, almost12 in the last 45 years.
Don't knock it if you haven't tried it. I volunteer every year for my dealers demo rides. And just about everyone that signs up to ride the trikes, can't even get out of the parking lot......even after watching the mandatory video.
So don't think you're too smart to ride one. I'll guarantee you'll have a problem before you get a block away.

As the years roll on by, you're going to see many more 3 and 4 wheel bikes on the road due to the aging riders. Of course you're going to have the faux riders that will give up riding before they will consider going to 3or4 wheels - which is a good thing - it's cleaning out the gene pool for the rest of us.

Now I hope you guys aren't calling wounded vets and other haddicapped riders, goofy for not riding on 2 wheels are you????

FYI, There are 3 or 4 "bolt on" kits available not counting a dozen actual trike conversion kits.
1 Voyager - large wheel bolt on
2 Tour Pac - small wheel bolt on
3 Ghost Wheels

Old 03-14-2014, 02:51 PM
stockglock1927
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
Wait till you guys get to be 80+.
I'll be out riding in the wind on my TriGlide grinning from ear to ear while you're sitting on the couch trying to remember what it was like riding a motorcycle drooling on yourselves and looking "goofy".

I bought a TG a couple years ago and have had more fun then all the bikes I've ever owned, almost12 in the last 45 years.
Don't knock it if you haven't tried it. I volunteer every year for my dealers demo rides. And just about everyone that signs up to ride the trikes, can't even get out of the parking lot......even after watching the mandatory video.
So don't think you're too smart to ride one. I'll guarantee you'll have a problem before you get a block away.

As the years roll on by, you're going to see many more 3 and 4 wheel bikes on the road due to the aging riders. Of course you're going to have the faux riders that will give up riding before they will consider going to 3or4 wheels - which is a good thing - it's cleaning out the gene pool for the rest of us.

Now I hope you guys aren't calling wounded vets and other haddicapped riders, goofy for not riding on 2 wheels are you????

FYI, There are 3 or 4 "bolt on" kits available not counting a dozen actual trike conversion kits.
1 Voyager - large wheel bolt on
2 Tour Pac - small wheel bolt on
3 Ghost Wheels
I would never call a wounded vet or any other handicapped person goofy. I never said that. all I said was I think the bikes are goofy. I have the upmost respect for vets and my wife is a POHI elementary school teacher
(physically or otherwise health impaired) and most of her kids have cerebral palsy or other major disability.

I gota say that the Can Ams look kinda cool. not $20,000 of cool though.

Old 03-14-2014, 03:10 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you were to add these to your bike you better check out your state laws regarding the extra 2 wheels. Here in Washington, a motorcycle with these extra wheels moves the bike from a two wheeler to a 4 wheeler. Therefore it doesn't fit under the 3 or 2 wheel laws. With 4 wheels comes a whole bunch more regulation, IE seatbelt, steering wheel vs. handlbars etc...

Found this out when I had attended a motorcycle law conference.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:20 PM
Crazy Biker
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Yellotang
If you were to add these to your bike you better check out your state laws regarding the extra 2 wheels. Here in Washington, a motorcycle with these extra wheels moves the bike from a two wheeler to a 4 wheeler. Therefore it doesn't fit under the 3 or 2 wheel laws. With 4 wheels comes a whole bunch more regulation, IE seatbelt, steering wheel vs. handlbars etc...

Found this out when I had attended a motorcycle law conference.
Do ATV's have seatbelts and steering wheels?

Old 03-14-2014, 09:13 PM
slozomby
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Biker
Do ATV's have seatbelts and steering wheels?
ATVs arent street legal. thus no requirement

Quick Reply: Training Wheels for Your Harley?