General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential Bike Business - Your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014 | 07:18 PM
Jason Oates
|
Tourer
Default Potential Bike Business - Your thoughts?

I was talking to a buddy of mine and he thought that a potential business idea would be to have a "delivery" or "on-site" bike service. A basic example would be to either 1) bike service with bike pickup and return delivery, typically same day (with simple services like fluid changes), or 2) a custom trailer/hauler that allows someone to perform semi-basic services actually on-site, or near the customers site for a quick return. Incentive is for the non "do it yourself" people, winterize/de winterize bikes, things of that nature.

What are your thoughts? In a busier market (like Northern Va for those of you know) could this be a feasible business for those who prefer the independent shops and don't have the time/experience/tools necessary for some jobs?

Last edited by Jason Oates; 03-12-2014 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03-12-2014 | 07:53 PM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member

Mobile maintenance/service...

Works for automobiles. We have mobile mechanics here. Craigs list has ads for mobile bike mechanics here also. It could possibly work. Good luck if you decide to go ahead with the idea...

Old 03-12-2014 | 07:55 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Take a look on Craigslist sometime and see how many guys are trying to do outcall bike service & repair on the fly , our area there's 4 or 5 a week easy ...........

Old 03-12-2014 | 08:33 PM
Antonio Balls
Stellar HDF Member
Default Go For It

Originally Posted by Jason Oates
I was talking to a buddy of mine and he thought that a potential business idea would be to have a "delivery" or "on-site" bike service. A basic example would be to either 1) bike service with bike pickup and return delivery, typically same day (with simple services like fluid changes), or 2) a custom trailer/hauler that allows someone to perform semi-basic services actually on-site, or near the customers site for a quick return. Incentive is for the non "do it yourself" people, winterize/de winterize bikes, things of that nature.

What are your thoughts? In a busier market (like Northern Va for those of you know) could this be a feasible business for those who prefer the independent shops and don't have the time/experience/tools necessary for some jobs?
This is America where you can do anything you want (at least for now). Seriously, if you have the capital, desire, capital and experience as well as capital then why not?

Old 03-12-2014 | 08:42 PM
Missle
Intermediate

There is a guy or 2 that have a business like that here in Raleigh/Durham area. I have seen them at a few local bike show/events. They have a large trailer set up like a garage with lift, to do rapairs and such. Not sure how well they do.

Old 03-12-2014 | 08:56 PM
13dino
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Gaining credibility as an onsite bike service should further business success toward bike pickup and serviced bike's return. Effective advertisement and word of mouth should keep you busy if in the right area.

Hope ya do well!

Old 03-12-2014 | 09:03 PM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member

There are several mobile mechanics around here that do work at your site. I have used one on my motocross bike with good results. I have not used the mobile Harley mechanics. SJ Ron