General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding Gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 12:49 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: Riding Gear

Here is what I wear.

Old 03-23-2007, 12:57 PM
smittyp83
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: rotorhead

I am looking to purchase some riding gear and I was wondering what most of us Harley riders wear? The perception of the Harley garb is the half helmet, engineering boots, chaps and black leather jacket, so far I have all the gear with the exception of chaps and engineering boots. Is there a good place to order engineering boots? I dont think I am ready for the chaps.
Don't get too caught up in "perception", like with the engineering boots. I've been looking at new boots for a while and, while I like the look of the engineers, they are generally too narrow for my feet and I'm leery of the soles not being grippy enough. There's a lot of really, really good gear out there and a lot of really, really crappy gear out there, so look before you leap.

Old 03-23-2007, 01:14 PM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

We went with the Milwaukee Motor Co. boots. The back zipper is a great addition for easy on and off and they have solid construction and were about $20 cheaper than the HD boots.

I wear boot, chaps, leather HD jacket w/venting, vented fabric gloves with leather pads and armour over the knuckes (Triumph) for protection, a full face AGV helmet w/sunglasses. Waiting to see how it feels this summer when it really heats up here down South. Bug was kind enough to turn me on to "Draggin Jeans" and I might get a pair of those to ride in over the summer instead of wearing my chaps andI have a black HCG half helmet which may replace the full face if it should become too hot. I purposely got one with really good venting intending to wear it during the summers too, but we'll see.

Old 03-23-2007, 01:32 PM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boot Barn always has good prices, and sales. Of course you will want to try on boots. Go to a couple local places, find what you like, and the right size. If they have good prices, get it there... if not, get it at Boot Barn http://www.bootbarn.com/

I have all the leather stuff... and wear it. But I am starting to figure out that although leather is probably the best option for protecting you if you go down - there are more comfortable, warmer or cooler, options out there for riders. So, get what works for you and don't get caught up in trying to fit in some sort of image.

Old 03-23-2007, 01:38 PM
RageWithTheMachine
Stage II

Dude, go get chaps, you wont regret it.

Old 03-23-2007, 02:06 PM
PaFatboy
Tourer

Me,Jackets: FXRG (cold weather) HD perforated (warm). Gloves: FXRG (cold) Fingerless (warm). Boots: HD 8in. lace ups, HD premium Chaps, HD vented 3/4 helmet w/flip-up shield. and a partridge in a pear tree.

Old 03-23-2007, 02:10 PM
PaFatboy
Tourer

OH, I forgot, the wifey: HD Jacket w/blk suede flame inlays,Hd premium chaps, HD 10" lace up boots, HD gloves,HD helmet. It about broke me buying all that in one week, Mine then hers. I guess the dog is next, I'll buy her "pleather".

Old 03-23-2007, 03:32 PM
dogtownmax
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: rotorhead

I am looking to purchase some riding gear and I was wondering what most of us Harley riders wear? The perception of the Harley garb is the half helmet, engineering boots, chaps and black leather jacket, so far I have all the gear with the exception of chaps and engineering boots. Is there a good place to order engineering boots? I dont think I am ready for the chaps.
dude, you gotta think about this stuff more personally. forget what the rest of the "Harley riders wear". lots of em barely ride anyway, and the costume for your fair weather barhopper is very different than the serious gear a daily rider wears.

think about what you would want to wear if you crashed. full suit of armor no? then think about what stuff you are actually willing to wear, after all a full suit of armor doenst do shiggity if its gets left at home. where you make the bargain is up to you, depending on riding style, conditions (urban vs country, all weather vs just when its nice, etc).

i will make one suggestion though. full face helmets do a much better job of keeping your teeth and jaw from getting messed up if you crash on your face than open faced helmets. ive seen it first hand. most harley folks dont wear fullface helmets, so if you are not used to doing your own thing, that could be a prob.

as for chaps, an alternative is cordura riding pants, or overpants. they look less "village people", protect your junk better, and if you ride in the rain many of them offer some water resistance. you prob wont see any other harley dudes wearing them, so if you are not comfortable being different, they may not be for you.

Old 03-23-2007, 04:25 PM
firefighter3666
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What to wear when riding.... all depends on where you are riding and the weather conditions.

I currently have alarge foot locker of riding gear, and used to spend the time it took my Sportster to warm up as an opportunity to dig out what I needed for the days ride.Different days will require a different set. Think: dry vs. wet, bar hop vs. day ride, organized ride vs. solo ride, toy run vs. bike week,cold day vs. warm day.

The current contents of my riding gear collection:

Perforated mesh textile jacket with removable armor (black and silver w/ reflective)
Textile jacket with vents, zip out vest liner,and removable armor (Joe Rocket, white an black)
Leather racing style jacket with vents and zip out full liner (unknown brand, 9 year old jacket that is now a faded black color)
HD Heated Vest
Textile waterproof overpant(black)
Carhart unlined bib overalls (black)
Carhart "arctic" lined bib overalls (black)
Leather Chaps (black)
HD Engineer style harnessboots (black)
REI Waterproof oversocks
Fleece winter insulated socks
Fingerless leathergloves (black)
Full finger textile/leatherglove (black)
Full finger leather glove (black)
Gauntlet style gortex insulated glove (black)
Neoprene lower face and nose mask (black)
Neck gaitor
Thick cotton "do rag" (black with union logo)
Thin cotton "do rag" (black with jack daniels logo)
Denim cutoff vest with patches
Half Helmet with zipout earflaps (blackwth offensive stickers)
Half Helmet (black without offensive stickers)
SHOEI full face helmet [RETIRED DUE TO BAD DROP, BOUNCE, and ROLL]
ARAI Vector full face helmet (flashy graphics)
Panoptix transition lens glasses
Oakley sunglasses
Yellow lens "shooting" glasses
Disposable Earplugs
SHURE Sc2 Noise Cancelling Ear Speakers
iPod Mini loaded with 70's and 80's rock (and some Jimmy Buffett for rainy days)

I think you get the idea. Add to this a collection of Harley and Motorcycle Ride T-Shirts and some jeans my girlfriend insists are not suitable for daily wear, and the amount of riding gear starts to add up.

I will mirror the views some prior posts - it's should be more about comfort and safety than about the look. I will admit that at certain times I will sacrifice personal safety for appearance. When it occurs, it is a deliberate decision and I'm willing to accept the consequences of my vanity. As a driver of fire trucks and ambulances, I highly recommend you select the highest level of protection that you will use consistently. While down in Daytona I couldn't help but laugh at the kids on Sport Bikes with their backwards baseball cap and a $600 full face helmet hanging off the side of the bike. It's great that you spent the money on the helmet, but it doesn't work if it doesn't get put on your head.

Old 03-23-2007, 04:30 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

In my Marlon Brando days (the 50's and 60's) I had engineer boots. To me now, they are too clunky. Go to a good boot shop and try on a pair of Ariat boots. They are a plain toe boot with excellent soles that really are good when it comes to anti skid/slip. I have dropped bikes in the past because of the soles on my boots and once you've done that it becomes a more important issue.

Also among the pro-helmet crowd (I'm one) there's a saying: Put a $10.00 helmet on if you have a $10.00 head.

Quick Reply: Riding Gear