General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Boy or????

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 09:21 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Fat Boy????

A stock Fat Boy is one of the least likely bikes that Harley makes for the fitting of saddle bags. Because of the shotgun configuration of the exhaust pipes the bike will only accept small bags that to me look rather out of place on the bike. Of course if you're not considering adding bags or if you're considering changing the exhaust system then that excuse is out the window.

It's a matter of personal taste. I prefer bags and windshield. I would go for the Heritage Classic or the Softail and add bags and windshield.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:25 PM
hssatx
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

drrandall, I had the same exact dilemma you currently have. Was leaning towards the Fatboy or maybe a RKC but when I went to the dealer to talk, I laid eyes on a Heritage Softail Classic......that was all it took. Couples of hours later the deal was done. I have not regretted it. The saddlebags and windshield are a big advantage, especially if you'll be riding 2 up. These accesories already come with the Heritage Classic. Best of luck.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:41 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I've owned a lot of Harley's since back in the 1970's, but my '03 Softail FatBoy is a real 'Jack Of All Trades'.

With the detachable bags, windshield, and sissy bar/luggage rack you can go from 'cruise mode' to 'tour mode' almost instantly.

Cruise Mode:

Tour Mode:

Old 03-22-2007, 09:42 PM
fatboy44
Outstanding HDF Member

A decision you have to make yourself, obviously. Take em both for a spin, that will make it really easy for you. Then buy the one you like best.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:55 PM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much is it do ya think to change the handle bars? Where would I find the styles?

Old 03-22-2007, 10:01 PM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member

you may not even have to change the bars... I have been debating just swapping out the riser. Harley has a pullback riser that will work with the stock bars AND you shouldn't have to change any of the cables to work it out. It would put them up about 1/2" and back about 1". May not seem like a lot reading it... but feels a lot different.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:02 PM
PaFatboy
Tourer

Like everyone says, go with your GUT !!! I changed the handlebar situation with 2up-2back risers, $50, next is the seat. Ride a fatboy in a cross wind before you buy, it might change your mind. Solid wheels are cool looking, They suck on a windy day, like today I was blown around more than I like. I still like my bike and get alot of compliments on it.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:03 PM
fatboylust
Road Captain

I had 32k miles great miles on my Fatboy and spent $3000 trying to make a Road King out of it; still no regrets. $100 will set the stock handle bar right, just replace the stock risers with the same risers used on the softail standard. A little lift and a little pull back, which only required a gentle stretch on the front brake line cures.

FBL

Old 03-22-2007, 10:06 PM
RandyM1911
Tourer

I vote for the Fatboy, but, then again, I'm biased... You won't be disappointed with a Fattie, they're a lot of fun to ride and handle great. Mine's an '04 and I haven't regretted my decision for a minute. But, at the end of the day it's all about what works for you. Rent a couple of different models and pick the one that you like best. You really can't go wrong with any of them.

You can find bars at any of the big online catalog stores. J&P, Dennis Kirk, Drag Specialties, etc., or at the HD site. A lot of folks say they just add an inexpensive set of pull-back risers (around 4") to the stock bars and that works for them. I think I've read that the ones from the Deluxe work great.

Good luck & let us know how you make out...

Old 03-22-2007, 10:16 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

My FatBoy has the Softail Deluxe risers, and they make a huge difference in comfort on long cruises...

I believe they are 3.5" pullbacks, and I didn't have to change out the stock cables.

Now I can lean back when cruising, and the stock handlebar is in a perfect, natural position.

Quick Reply: Fat Boy or????