General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decided to step down (work)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 08:35 PM
erockguide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decided to step down (work)

I have worked for Verizon Wireless for about three years. After a year and a half as a sales rep, I quickly proved I could hack it, as I was in the top 1.5 percent of sales reps in the company in regards to quota attainment. The next logical step was management, so I took that step. Over the last ten or 11 months, my quality of life has steadily gone down hill. At all hours of the day and night, I would get calls from direct reports, higher managers, customers, etc, all with problems they expected me to fix. I also found that I would have to be on conference calls, to talk about action plans, progress, processes, etc. All the while I was thinking: If I put this much effort into actually doing real work, we would not need these calls, yet, I had to spend 10 hours a week talking about doing stuff. It was as if instead of actually doing, I was forced to just talk about doing. I found myself working almost 80 hours a week. I also made more money as a rep, with far less stress.

Well, for the last 2 to 3 months, I worked to "swallow my pride" and admit I was not cut out for management. Yesterday I finally decided to do it. I talked to my boss and said I felt more effective as a sales rep. About an hour later he called me and said everything was good to go. He made the needed adjustments in the district and I could return to being a rep.

The last two days have been very exciting. I find I'm without stress (despite the fact that my current direct reports are not producing at all). I look forward to the first when I officially move back into my rep role.

It's almost like breaking up with a bad girlfriend. It's sorta hard to do at first, but once it's done, wow! Relief. YOu can now move forward, regardless of how many emails you will get from peers (current managers) saying you suck.

I'm so excited to get back to what I know.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:39 PM
EK5858
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Decided to step down (work)

It isall about being happy and doing what makes us happy. Good choice to return to bliss.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:58 PM
dogtownmax
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

rank can be a convolution.

dont let the title sucker you into less pay, more hours, and extra stress.

being a producer is often way better than managing the people who produce things. if youre a good salesperson, and dont mind the financial vagueness that sometimes entails, then do it. save being a manager for when you dont like doing sales anymore, if that day comes.

in most of the tech companies i have been in, the salesfolks have made bank.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:06 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

Good for your company. Many won't let you go "backwards".
Often the best salesmen don't make good managers and sometimes
the best managers weren't the best salesmen.
Best of luck to you.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:18 PM
erockguide
Cruiser

I really like Verizon. I found the company on accident. They do care about their people, who therfore care abuot customers.

I could have quit and worked for someone else. But this company really cares about it's human resources. I'm really happy that they let me step down. Kudo's to them. I will stay for as long as they let me. Verizon bought my house, my Harley, allowed my wife to own two horses, and rescued us from extraordinary debt.

Hats off to good companies!

Old 03-22-2007, 09:24 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: erockguide

I really like Verizon. I found the company on accident. They do care about their people, who therfore care abuot customers.

I could have quit and worked for someone else. But this company really cares about it's human resources. I'm really happy that they let me step down. Kudo's to them. I will stay for as long as they let me. Verizon bought my house, my Harley, allowed my wife to own two horses, and rescued us from extraordinary debt.

Hats off to good companies!
Hell, instead of sales and management, perhaps 'Marketing & Advertising' would have been more to your calling?

Good luck to you in your return to what it is you feel you do best!

Old 03-22-2007, 09:27 PM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: EK5858

It isall about being happy and doing what makes us happy. Good choice to return to bliss.
I totally agree...I got pretty far up there and foundI was much happier on a lower rung. Stepping back takes a lot of self-awareness good for you

Old 03-22-2007, 09:31 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Not to put you down, but this "General Harley Davidson Chat" forum is starting to resemble "Dear Abby". What does this have to do with riding Harleys? You could have at least mentioned your ride. If you can't handle the stress of management, so what? Do you enjoy riding?

Old 03-22-2007, 09:40 PM
camshaft
4th Gear

I didnt mind reading the thread, we've allbeen unhappy a times with work. Just think......riding will be so much more enjoyable now that the quality of life has improved!!!

Old 03-22-2007, 09:40 PM
erockguide
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: txfxstrider

Not to put you down, but this "General Harley Davidson Chat" forum is starting to resemble "Dear Abby". What does this have to do with riding Harleys? You could have at least mentioned your ride. If you can't handle the stress of management, so what? Do you enjoy riding?
Tell me ghost rider.... What forum should this go in? I visit two forums on this board: ths one and southwest. That's it.

I love my ride. I ride nearly everyday. Now it will be even better.