General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

smoking.. Cigarettes

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 09:19 PM
hssatx
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: smoking.. Cigarettes

Congratulations Bull, stick with it and kick the habit. My Dad died from lung cancer three years ago. Wouldn't quit when the doc told him to. Quit from one day to the next when doc told him he had no more than 18 mos. to live. Too little too late......wh had him for abot 2 more years before the cancer took full control. He suffered much during his last days. Not a day goes by that we don't wish he were still here. You can beat the habit, you owe it to yourself and to your loved ones. Wishing you the best.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:23 PM
Bluerose

You can do it!! But they are right you have to want to do it....

Took me at least a dozen times trying to stop....then a bad trip to the doctor (not to different from yours). Unfortuately the doc didn't want to try CHANTIX yet (he wasn't convinced then now he offeres it) and it turned out I was allergic to the patch!

I'm at 5 months and 5 days now...do I stil want a cig?? Oh yeah some days I really do...but it passes. I sure do feel a whole lot better though without them

Good luck!

Old 03-22-2007, 09:42 PM
Sam
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lets keep this thread going, if we can fill 8 or 9 pages on Harley underwear......we can definitely keep a thread going that may actually help people, me included(not that finding out everything I ever wanted to know about underwear wasn't important[sm=insomnia.gif])

Old 03-22-2007, 09:45 PM
fatboy44
Outstanding HDF Member

Just lost my best friend to lung cancer last year. He "only" smoke a pack a day. He was 44. I chewed tobacco for 16 years, tried like hell to quit after that and have finally kicked it and started working out/running. etc. It scared the crap out of me.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:52 PM
BaD
Novice

I been smoking since I was 19 and Im 29 right now. I have tried to quit a few times without much success.
I know I need to quit,sometimes Iwake up coughing.. and really feel like **** at times.(mainly after a cig)
I have a few boxes of those patch things, I bought them.. but never used them. The only reason I bought the patches and never used them is because I really enjoy beer. I fear that beer will make me want to smoke.... and I have no intention of giving up on beer.
I do not want to be a smoker when I turn 30. (June 07)
I know it can be done, but damn it if a cig dosent just feel right after a few beers.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:56 PM
99superglide
Tourer

Holy Smokes!!! 3 1/2 packs a day, wow!!
Conservitivley speaking,if you are awake 12 hours, that's a ciggarrete every ten minutes.
Ireally can't bash you for smoking because I smoke to. When I found myself smoking 2 packs a day I told myself this is getting out of control and expensive. From that point on I always asked myself do I really need another one already and from that point on I've beendown below a pack a day again. My wife quit in December using one of those nicotrol inhalers and hasn't had a smoke since. I'll be 40 soon and I hope to quit altogether this year. Looking back on my life I know starting smokingwas was the biggest mistake I ever made and have told all my kids this many times and they don't smoke so I hope they keep it that way.
Your absolutely right about the Oxyegen mask thing in combination with a diet of morphine while you wait to die has got to be the worst way to go.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:02 PM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member

To make the choice to stop smoking is not easy. But once you make that choice, and get through the first 10 days (10 days for me) you will wonder, "why did I wait so long"? (I sure did)
And everyone here is correct. The only person you should stop smoking for is you.

Below is a link to the "QUITMETER"

Enter your info and it will give you a running total, to the very second.

For me:
26 weeks, 6 days, 33 minutes, 51 seconds...since my last smoke
4,324....cigarettes not smoked.....based on 23 cigs a day
$864.80....money saved....based on $4.00 a pack

LINK:
http://www.quitmeter.com/index.php

Old 03-22-2007, 10:14 PM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior

BTW Thrillseeker, what's Cheese Fish..it doesn't sound very good[sm=icon_rofl.gif]........sorry, couldn't help myself
lol, you know, those Pepridge farm fishies

Old 03-22-2007, 10:15 PM
PaFatboy
Tourer

I guess I'll say a little something on the smoking subject. I don't and never did (I played around at about 12-14 yrs. old. I didn't like it so I didn't start. My Dad was a life time smoker, quit after a heart attack. That being said, Both of my sons smoked, one quit (wife made him) the other still smokes.

I just buried a friend 2 weeks ago, Yep it was lung cancer(lifetime smoker). By the time the Dr. got him to quit, he did Chemo etc. It slowed down then came back BAD and FAST. I guess everyone quits ONCE, usually when they die. "YOU CAN QUIT" THINK OF PUTTING THAT MONEY IN YOUR BIKE over a years time it adds up. I have faith that you can overcome those things!

Old 03-22-2007, 10:19 PM
Jorgy1347
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I qit three years ago with the help of ziban. I liked to smoke but I wanted to quit. It wasn't easy but the ziban was what did it for me. It's been three years and I still get the cravings but they fade in strength as time goes by. I wish you all the best, good luck.

Quick Reply: smoking.. Cigarettes