General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

smoking.. Cigarettes

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 08:36 PM
EK5858
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: smoking.. Cigarettes

Here's my story, I am 39 yearsand smoked from the time I was 17 until Oct 10th of 2004. On that day I had 2 heart attacks and had to be rushed to the hospital. The doctor was very clear with me and said I was there becauseI smoked 2 packs a day. NO other reason. Now my mom has oxygen 24/7 and her life will end much sooner than it should because she smoked for40 years. No heart disease in my family ever. I am the first. Tell me they don't kill. Thank the good lord above I was given another chance to ride

Old 03-22-2007, 08:37 PM
Guilty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have to want to quit in order to quit. The hardest thing about quitting smoking is the addictive nature of the drug...nicotine. I tried for 20 years to quit smoking and never once bought a carton of smokes because I was always "going to quit". Finally one day my daughter, she was 4 at the time, said that she didn't want me to die from smoking...that did it, I finished my last pack and never took another drag off a cigarette - she's 10 now and I can honestly say that I am a non-smoker. I along with all of the other smokers who have quit, can not stand the smell of a cigarette. I can be sitting on my bikeat an intersection and smell the smoke from a car 50 feetaway...sorry, but the smell is aweful. My wife quit smoking 5 years before I did and I don't know how she put up with the smell without complaining. Persevere and stick with it and remember youhaven't quit until you've quit, cutting down doesn't cut it. In a very short time you will stop the constant morning hacking, coughing up flem, and having the harsh voice of a smoker. Food will taste better, you'll probably drink less alcohol...for awhile anyhow, cause we all know that smoking and drinking go together. The best way to quit smoking is to just quit. Good luck, I hope that you are successful, it is not easy but you can do it!

Old 03-22-2007, 08:38 PM
Sam
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know, these stories help.........keep going

Old 03-22-2007, 08:41 PM
Shagg
Intermediate

Thanks for posting your method/doctors reccommendation/perscriptions. I have been smoking since I was 9. I am only 31 now, but experiencing many of the same effects/symtoms. I'll let you know what steps I take. Let me know how yours are working. Thanks.

-Shagg

Maybe this will become the quitting smoking support thread!!!![sm=signs003.gif]i

Old 03-22-2007, 08:43 PM
brillowolf
Cruiser

One more thing, it was a thread like this that helped me out when I did have the occasional temptation. Everytime I thought I had reached a milestone I would bump the thread with my thoughts and progress. I would occasionally go back and read them, and it seemed to give me that little bit of extra strength. It also makes you accountable to yourself, and others. There is a desire to keep coming back to let people know that you still haven't touched one of the nasty little things.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:53 PM
keninnj
Cruiser

You are far from old but you had better quit them poison sticks or your gonna be .....
I used Nicorette gum for 4 years. One night I put a piece of it on my night table, the minute I woke up I started to chew. Chewed the stuff for 4 years, but WAY cheaper than radiation. Go join a gym, get in shape and change your out look. Sorry if I am coming off harsh but this is it baby. No second chances on this planet.
Good luck to you…I am rooting for you from a distance. YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Old 03-22-2007, 08:53 PM
Wldtat
Cruiser

Like many of you, I started young 10 to be exact. 1 year ago today, I threw my last remaining half a pack in the trash and haven't had one since. Like was said before, you have to want to quit or you wont.

It also helps if you bribe yourself with a new Harley

Old 03-22-2007, 08:57 PM
Hagar the Horrible
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My turn. I started as a kid 10-12 whatever, problably didn't clinton until 12-13. Quit in the seventh grade for a while, quit on a couple new years for a day or two. Went to Hypto twice. First 6weeks, second as soon as session left I literally ran to the store and lit up. Tried the gum when it first came out, tasted like pepper. And got a dose of Welbutrin which was useless. I wa s kidding my self with Marlboro 72's and smoking them 1/2 way and flinging them out.Ok Now I'm 50 on my second marrige and kids 7&5. 7year old asks when am I gonna stop smoking cause it isn't good for you. That I guess put the desire to quit but notmuch else. NewYearsI am at the only sandwich /Pizza joint and a flyer had an ad for COLD LASER THERAPY. I went on line and it said it wouldhelp me quit and without gaining weight. $325.00 $25 off with the coupon on the flyer.

So what the hell, I figure if it works for at least 6 week I'm even so I go. 2, 20 min painless sessions with no lectures, just a slight addiction explination and leave the ciggys with the laser lady.

According to the quitometer, 25 per day @$5.00 per pack it is now a few days past 2 months, Get this 1600 ciggys not smoked and $400 in my pocket. Well not bad. The bad news is I was grouchier than normal for a week or two andI was up to a carton of Oreos and a hershey chocolate bara week until this week when I decided to give up cookie cold turkey. 3 days and withdrawls equal or stronger than the smokes.

If I had quit when my daughter was born I would have saved enough for a Road King. or $18,000+

I don't know if the cold laser therapy really did it or was a plasebo and I don't care because I am not smoking, I can be in the presence of smokers and don't need one. Would still like one but can get through it without any effort. You might wanna check it out.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:07 PM
raporte
Outstanding HDF Member

I can honestly say this is the best thread I have read to date. I'll spare the novel but know that I am behind you guys..and girls, I hope...all the way. Smoking might be the hardest of all to quit. I hope all our successful and continue to share the word. I have never smoked (60 next week) and have been rooting my whole life that others can kick the habit. Just doing the simple math should do it........almost $5 a pack. That could go right into the gas kitty, or chrome kitty, or end-of-the-month-take-mama-out-to-dinner kitty!

I am so behind everyone. Best of luck toward your no more coughing life!!!

Old 03-22-2007, 09:10 PM
TUCK
Advanced

I quit back in 1998 after over 20 years smoking. It's just like some of the members have said. You have to want it. I look at it as a classic case of mind over body. I laid them down and never went back. Never even came close. It's one of the best things I've ever done for myself and those who care about me. As a bonus, THINK OF THE MONEY I'M SAVING!
Good Luck!!

Quick Reply: smoking.. Cigarettes