General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie skills question

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 07:41 PM
my06NT
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie skills question

For all those new to riding like me, what is the hardest skill to master for you? For me its taking off from a stop and turning left of right, still having trouble with the right clutch to throttle mix while taking a turn. I am worried I will give to much gas and go wide into oncoming traffic, and have stalled it a few times in practice. Anyone have any helpful tips?
Thanks for any help.

Mike.

Old 03-22-2007, 07:46 PM
jharp
Tourer
Default RE: Newbie skills question

Just lots of practice. Maybe take a riders course, that way you can practice on someone else bike, just in case. You need to pratcie in a empty parking lot or somwherebecause when your out on the road you'll need all your skills and concentraion watching out for the cagers.

Jim

Old 03-22-2007, 07:53 PM
ChicagoJ
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Practice practice practice, preferably on one of the states rice burners. Depending on the size of your bike and the size of you it seems most people have trouble with riding at very slow speeds. I know when I first started that and gravel were very tricky for me, gravel still can be.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:00 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 8,425 Likes on 4,354 Posts

Ahhhhh, I think you may be thinking you have to let out the clutch all the way by the time you have gone a few feet. That will cause the skill problems you mentioned! That clutch is one tough hummer, and you've got so much torque in your bike that it'll drive you nuts if you are engaging it to 100% too quickly. Go ahead and slip it some more as you gain speed... particularly on slow speed turns from a stop. Then you can gain more confidence cause you won't be worrying about stalling or too fast a start... it's a Zen thing.
ORIGINAL: my06NT

For all those new to riding like me, what is the hardest skill to master for you? For me its taking off from a stop and turning left of right, still having trouble with the right clutch to throttle mix while taking a turn. I am worried I will give to much gas and go wide into oncoming traffic, and have stalled it a few times in practice. Anyone have any helpful tips?
Thanks for any help.

Mike.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:08 PM
ChicagoJ
Road Captain

[quote]ORIGINAL: Big Sled

Ahhhhh, I think you may be thinking you have to let out the clutch all the way by the time you have gone a few feet. That will cause the skill problems you mentioned! That clutch is one tough hummer, and you've got so much torque in your bike that it'll drive you nuts if you are engaging it to 100% too quickly. Go ahead and slip it some more as you gain speed... particularly on slow speed turns from a stop. Then you can gain more confidence cause you won't be worrying about stalling or too fast a start... it's a Zen thing.
[quote]ORIGINAL: my06NT

That's a fantastic way to put it...a Zen thing. That's dead on. Zen and the art of motrocycle riding

Old 03-22-2007, 08:25 PM
recross
Tourer

I believe we're talking friction zone here....cltuch/throttle regulated at the same time...clutch is not fully released and the throttle is either at a steady rpm or on the increase....it's a touchy/feely thing pratice ina lot until you get the hang of it...before you know it..it'll be second nature....BC

Old 03-22-2007, 08:26 PM
4merRacer
Road Master

Here's something that works for some of the people I've worked with. Find a flat, level surface (vacant parking lot). In first gear, slowly let out the clutch without giving it any gas. If you do it slowly and smoothly enough, you can get the bike rolling and coast along in first gear without giving it any throttle input. Once you get the hang of that, find a grade (upper level of a parking garage and use ramp going from one level to the next). Then repeatedly practice starting from a dead stop. As for turning, ya just gotta do it lots!!! Take the MSF course if you haven't already. If you have, remember/refresh the basics of turning.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:29 PM
police stroker
Cruiser

Look into the dvd by Jerry called Ride Like a Pro it's a good vid that shows you some basic skills. It shows youhow togo practice to get better and keep advancing in your skills. You'd be amazed at what you cando with your bike if you practice. Be safe riding out there and keep the shiney side up!

Old 03-22-2007, 08:33 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Take the MSF basic course. What we taught (when I was teaching) is to slightly lean the bike in the direction you want to turn and also turn the front wheel in the same direction before you take off. Find an empty lot and practice this as much as you can. Also, you don't have to let the clutch out completely. You can feather it but again that takes practice. If you haven't taken the basic course it would be well worth your time and money

Old 03-22-2007, 08:48 PM
firemankrug
Outstanding HDF Member

The MSF course helped me quite a bit and I bought Ride Like A Pro IV, it has some great tips on how to master the slow speed maneuvers. And practice, practice, practice.

Quick Reply: Newbie skills question