General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie skills question

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 12:52 AM
Aces N Eights
Default RE: Newbie skills question

I just can't keep the ENDO as I had hoped on the Heritage. I guess it is too heavy.That and the whole burn-out thing while standing next the bike.

Only kiddin'
Very good advice here.

07HC

Old 03-24-2007, 01:38 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: bsea

Excellent advice all around here. I know when I was more of a newbie (still not ready to call myself experienced yet) my biggest breakthrough was learning about the friction zone and the fact that the clutch did not have to be all the way out, like on a car. Once I understood that, I was on my way. The other thing that helped was learning to drag the rear brake while I am in a turn. That helps to decrease the turn radius as well as providing stability.
Bill
Ditto.
I find that feathering the rear brake helps quite a bit and also working the friction zone.
The good point of dragging the rear brake alittle is, if you start going too wide you wont panic and grab the front brake to slow down.
Remember any chimpanzee can ride fast. It is slow controlled riding that requires skill, which you get with practice.
Tom.

Old 03-24-2007, 03:08 AM
Tralfaz
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: petemac
The thing that used to make me the most nervous was coming to a stop on a steep hill. I was always afraid I'd stall the engine and roll back into the car behind me.
Move to Texas. Then you will not have to worry about hills.

I should echo what quite a few people here have said about practice in a parking lot. After I too the MSF course and got a motorcycle, my first week or so was spent heading through my neighborhood to a school parking lot nearby and just working on tight turns and stops. It was definately a good thing since a 550lb, 1200cc Sportster takes more to stop and turn than a 330lb, 250cc Honda that they use in the courses. Since then I sometimes head out to a long parking lot outside some sports fields nearby and try to work on quick stops from higher speeds (higher being 30-40mph).

I'll have to work on which gear to be in for a running turn since I figured, as was confirmed, that shifting in the turn might not be the best idea.

Old 03-24-2007, 09:12 AM
skyhead
Advanced

I have to say the most important skill to master is the panic stop for me. I always seem to apply the rear brake more than I should. Luckly I have not had to practice this skill in real life yet, but I know I will have to sometime. I plan on attending the motorcycle safety course again because I have a new bike and I could use the refresher

Old 03-24-2007, 09:34 AM
Peekaboo Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: EasternSP

ORIGINAL: BigJfxdwg

The hardest skill for me is the wheelie, still haven't quite got it on the WG, but I used to do it on dirt bikes. I think I need more power.

But seriously, take the basic course and practice, A LOT.
Well yeah BigJ, Ya gotta scoot further back on the seat and yank up on the handle bars as hard as ya can while ya dump the clutch on full throttle. You should be able to get the front end off the ground at least an inch or so.
...or completely lose your grip and at least do a spectacular faceplant.

Old 03-24-2007, 10:10 AM
easyglider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Safety course,safety course,safety course.Can't say it enough.Get the slow speed manuvering down and ride ,ride,ride other than a safety course the best thing is experience.

Old 03-24-2007, 10:18 AM
Mikeeeeeeeeee
"Moderator & Connoisseur of Ice Cream"
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: whaap

ORIGINAL: whitetrash

Start in 1st,shift to 2nd right away before completion of the turn

[IMG]local://upfiles/27482/18147F2789274E509E116EFACBBDF638.jpg[/IMG]

Shifting gears while in a turn is not a good idea. You're inviting the added chance of breaking traction with the rear tire.
Do not shift while in a turn.

Old 03-24-2007, 10:24 AM
Mikeeeeeeeeee
"Moderator & Connoisseur of Ice Cream"
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is the proper procedure. But do #1&2 as quickly as you can!
1. Take the MSF course ASAP
2. But the Ride like a Pro DVD and practise it.

3.Sitting at stop you should have your left foot out holding up the bike AND YOUR RIGHT FOOT ON THE BRAKE.
4. Give it throttle and release the clutch partially until it engages and pulls you forward KEEPING YOU FOOT ON THE BRAKE.
5. Use the brake/friction zone (partially engaged clutch) to negotiate the turn into trafffic and then when you are pointed in the right direction, let off the brake , out on the clutch and go.

Once you take the course and see the DVD you will understand.

ALSO - DO NOT LOOK DOWN!
LOOK TO THE END OF YOUR TURN AND THE BIKE WILL GO THAT WAY.
The bike follows your eyes and head.

Old 03-24-2007, 12:50 PM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd have to say the hardest thing to learn for many new riders, is learning to stay alive on the road. This is argueably more difficult for older new riders as they have developed habits from driving cars for years....like being comfortably protected in their cage or getting used to 'being seen' on the road.

As a new rider of two (or even three) wheels, you have to learn, or re-learn, to 'predict' what others on the road are going to do or where they are going to go, and proactively take action to put yourself in a safe place on the road and to make yourself be seen by other drivers.

Old 03-24-2007, 02:00 PM
Biggol
Road Warrior

+1 to the "going to a parking lot" posts. And like Kiltimon said, go to the same lots at night also.

I spent about 3 hours one night in a parking lot with a couple tight Stop sign right and stop sign left turns. After that I chose a couple hours one day to practice riding through a bank parking lot. The multiple turns, atm lanes and frequent stop signs make for learning good slow speed manuvering.

Good luck and glad to see you aren't out there burning it up. It's much easier to ride at speed than it is to do slow manuvers. Sometimes I still don't look through U turns enough and it takes a little longer than it should. Had a scare coming down an off ramp one day also merging a bit quicker than I meant to. Just keep practiceing. And try to put yourself into a practice situation frequently (once every couple of months!) until you get some of the good habits built into .. well.. habits.

Quick Reply: Newbie skills question