General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie skills question

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 08:57 PM
kiltiemon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Newbie skills question

It is a wise man, indeed, who understands just how much he does NOT know!!! Don't pass up opportunitys for classes. Get Jerry (Padillo"'s?) DVDs (Ride Like a Pro, etc...) (He's a really GREAT guy and very much dedicated to keeping you alive... I think it may be a personal quest for him!!!). Practice... Do it in private so no one sees your mistakes, perhaps... because you DON'T even want to THINK about Screwing up in front of a Cager!!! Practice!!!

Jim aka kiltiemon

Old 03-22-2007, 09:03 PM
EasternSP
Banned

Received 24,867 Likes on 9,332 Posts

Along with the clutch action, ya have to look where ya want to go. If you are looking at the road in front of the bike, that's where you will feel like you're going. If you are turning right, look right down the road. Same with turning left.

The Ride Like a Pro DVD emphasis this particular point.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:14 PM
rreffner
Cruiser

You need to practice developing your skill within the friction zone. Set in a chair with your hands on the imaginary bars. Open and close your left hand (clutch hand), by turning your right hand to and fro. Do not open your left hand by itself. The right hand controls the opening and closing of the left hand. After a spell, try the same thing while sitting on your bike (not running). Get the idea? Ok, now get yourself to an open parking lot or deserted country road and practice stopping and going. You don't need too much right hand. Be sure t keep your head up and eyes straight ahead. Hope this helps.

After some time, find a hill that you can stop on. Right foot on the brake, let the clutch slowly out with a little throttle.

Keep up the practice and after awhile it will become second nature.

Be sure to wear your protective gear and refrain from taking passingers until you develope the skill to where it feels naturale.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:18 PM
kiltiemon
Outstanding HDF Member

Ken is SPOT ON regarding the "looking where you want to go" and keeping your head up!!! I experienced an ERRIE experience one evening "rounding round a roundabout" (you, know traversing round a traffic circle). I'd ridden that roundabout many times in the daylight and had no probelm at all... At NIGHT, I couldn't seem to get the bike to turn, and I had to straighten out the wheel and hit the brakes because I was headed right into the curb. Problem??? It was because I was looking to where my headlight was pointed at the time and could NOT see where I SHOULD be looking, which was further INTO the turn!!!

According to friends here, it's a common problem and really illustrates that which our instructors in the state classes tell us!!! Look at the point to which you wish to go!!!

Jim aka kiltiemon

Old 03-22-2007, 09:43 PM
tgando
Intermediate

Great advice.New owner of 07 RC.Listening to the vets.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:45 PM
BigJfxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The hardest skill for me is the wheelie, still haven't quite got it on the WG, but I used to do it on dirt bikes. I think I need more power.

But seriously, take the basic course and practice, A LOT.

Old 03-23-2007, 12:13 AM
EasternSP
Banned

Received 24,867 Likes on 9,332 Posts

ORIGINAL: BigJfxdwg

The hardest skill for me is the wheelie, still haven't quite got it on the WG, but I used to do it on dirt bikes. I think I need more power.

But seriously, take the basic course and practice, A LOT.
Well yeah BigJ, Ya gotta scoot further back on the seat and yank up on the handle bars as hard as ya can while ya dump the clutch on full throttle. You should be able to get the front end off the ground at least an inch or so.

Old 03-23-2007, 12:19 AM
bsea
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Excellent advice all around here. I know when I was more of a newbie (still not ready to call myself experienced yet) my biggest breakthrough was learning about the friction zone and the fact that the clutch did not have to be all the way out, like on a car. Once I understood that, I was on my way. The other thing that helped was learning to drag the rear brake while I am in a turn. That helps to decrease the turn radius as well as providing stability.

Finally, I haven't seen anyone recommend that you get a copy of "Motor Lessons". This is an excellent skills and practice guide from Harris Neil which is based on several lessons from the Harley-Davidson Police Motor Course. A simple email to MotorLessons@Ricochet.comand he will email the guide to you free of charge. Some of the practice drills in this book have helped me a lot. Good luck, and ride safe.

Bill

Old 03-23-2007, 12:29 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Get the ride like a pro dvd......I got it for Christmas. Excellent. Then get a MSF course right away before you develop too many bad habits. Then get some orange cones & a parking lot & practice until you puke.

Old 03-23-2007, 12:36 AM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: 4merRacer

Here's something that works for some of the people I've worked with. Find a flat, level surface (vacant parking lot). In first gear, slowly let out the clutch without giving it any gas. If you do it slowly and smoothly enough, you can get the bike rolling and coast along in first gear without giving it any throttle input. Once you get the hang of that, find a grade (upper level of a parking garage and use ramp going from one level to the next). Then repeatedly practice starting from a dead stop. As for turning, ya just gotta do it lots!!! Take the MSF course if you haven't already. If you have, remember/refresh the basics of turning.
That sounds like an excellent wayto start.Good advice!

Quick Reply: Newbie skills question