General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Service Plans

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 07:01 PM
Snort
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Service Plans

Are the Extended Service Plans worth the money? I'm picking up my new RK Classic in the morning and I'm sure this will come up. I don't even know the cost of them, I made my deal at 6:00pm last Friday when the dealer was about to close and didn't go any further with them.
Thanks

Old 03-22-2007, 07:17 PM
69z28
Road Warrior
Default RE: Extended Service Plans

I bought it on my Road King just for the peace of mind.A lot of people say it's a waste of money though.

Old 03-22-2007, 07:20 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've never had one and have yet to regret it. If I understand the procedure correctly, you can turn it down now and consider it later while your bike is still under it's original warranty. I'm not 100% sure of that but it might be worth checking into if you're undecided at the time of the sale.

Of course the time of sale might be a good time to negotiate "down" the cost of the plan.

Old 03-22-2007, 07:28 PM
BeerDaddy
Intermediate

I have it as well. The cost for the 500 mile and 1000 mile service make up for allot. Also with the plan I get priority maint,free pickup and delivery. I think the plan is good if you have it in the deal. I can’t afford the regular service out of pocket. So it’s just my preference.

Old 03-22-2007, 07:36 PM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: BeerDaddy

I have it as well. The cost for the 500 mile and 1000 mile service make up for allot. Also with the plan I get priority maint,free pickup and delivery. I think the plan is good if you have it in the deal. I can’t afford the regular service out of pocket. So it’s just my preference.

If I understand correctly, you are implying that the regular service checks are covered under the warranty.

They were not when I had the plan on my 2003. Usually around $150.00, minimmum, for all the scheduled warranty intervals. As my year took 2,500 mile interval checks, I was shelling out a ton of cash.

I had no incidents that needed use of my Extended Warranty while it was in effect.

Old 03-22-2007, 07:47 PM
MarkM
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought one when I got my 05 wide glide. It was $1200 for an extra 5 years warranty coverage past the 2 years that comes with the bike. I'm hoping I don't ever need it, but for a couple hundred a year, I figure it's worth it. I plan on keeping the bike, and it should have close to 100k on it when the 7 year mark approaches. From what I know, it's not hard to run up a $1200 repair bill if something major goes wrong. It has a $50 deductible, but doesn't cover routine maintenance. So far, I've had 2 primary leaks, covered under the original factory warranty. Looks like it might be a chronic problem, so after next month it'll still be covered at about $250 a shot to fix. I think if you plan on keeping the bike for a while, it's not a bad idea, especially if you're not able or don't want to do a lot of repairs yourself. I know there are different plans, but mine is also transferrable or partially refundable if I sell the bike before 7 years is up.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:22 PM
4merRacer
Road Master

Big difference between extended warranty and service plans. My service plan was $2k for 3 years which included an extra year on the warranty. I've already used about $2300 in services and have almost a year left on it. If you're going to use the hell out of it, it's worth it. If you put 5k miles on the bike a year, probably not worth it.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:22 PM
LRonHoover
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thing is going in two directions.

The Extended Service Plan

&

The Extended Warranty.

I think the EX Service Plan is good if you don't want to the Maintenance (changing the oil and all that) yourself and depending on your dealer, don't mind missing your bike for a few days. Some of them get very backlogged even with appointments. Some of them can crank them out fast. I've been to a couple of dealers that will sell you the EX Service Plan no matter what year your bike is. HOWEVER, if you don't plan on riding much, it will be a monetary loss for you.

The EX Warranty Plan is a whole other bag.Some people like it for the peace of mind andsome avoid it. Choice is yours

Old 03-22-2007, 08:26 PM
noturstandardglide
Intermediate

I never buy warranties--waste of money.

Old 03-23-2007, 12:56 AM
surveyor
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: BeerDaddy

What 500 mile service. I was told the first service was at 1000. Am I missing something?
Thanks

Quick Reply: Extended Service Plans