General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

house robbery

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 04:12 AM
pauly711
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default house robbery

Ya know, it's finals week (yes, I am 37 and getting a degree) and relaxing having a beer or 2 or 3 and reading the Anubiss post that has spewed so much vitrol that it got my hackels up and now I will vent on an issue.

Two weeks ago sometime between 1am and 5am someone entered our garage and stole my mountain bike, circular saw, dremel tool and wait for it...ready about 5-8 lean cuisine frozen meals! Don't that last one beat all? Never mind that they passed up high end impact tools and actually moved a more expensive sawsall to get to the circular saw. They entered via my neighbor's unlocked side gate (he's a LEO) and jumped the block wall entered the unlocked garage back door (more on this in a tick) collected the stuff, then undid the main garage door from the chain drive, opened it up, and out they went. They even unscrewed the sensor floodlights in the front yard as well as my neighbors flood lights. Well, needless to say, I was pissed!! Still am. I just want to give someone a beatdown!! Well, at least someone who deserves it. Because of the food stolen, we figure it was some crack head junkie. Even when my garage door was opened, you could not see any of the stuff that was taken. Now for the unlocked door, this door is used often and of course we never thought about having any issues. We have 2 dogs that can hear a cat tip-toe across the yard but can't hear someone jump the wall and enter the garage? Worthless dogs, I tell ya! Naw, love the lazy dogs. So now I got all the lockes re-keyed and got some sealed lights and got the alarm system working. I never had a house with an alarm, but might as well us it just for the simple fact that my m/c (locked up nice and tight) and other valuables are still in the garage. Plus my honey feels safer with the alarm. My neighbor even locks his gate now and told his kids if they need to get inthe back yard climb the gate. Even though we think it's random there's a hint or feeling that we were targeted specifically.

I'm off to bed!
Paul

Old 03-22-2007, 04:18 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: house robbery

That sucks. At least it wasn't too expensive.
When I was in high school (long time ago), we got robbed.
The guys hung out and made lunch!

Old 03-22-2007, 04:43 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

You can never be too prepared and always have to have your guard up. It's insane, but that's the world we live in. Rely on yourself and be prepared to take care of business if necessary.

Old 03-22-2007, 04:56 AM
bcox
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Forget the alarm, waste of money, it'll just scare them down the street to the next unsuspecting victim with lean cuisines in his garage. What you need is a nice comfy lawn chair and a shotgun.

Old 03-22-2007, 05:12 AM
ChiefGator
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They have been in there and now they knao what you have. Be extra careful and alert over the next month. They may come back with a truck while you are gone...

Old 03-22-2007, 08:30 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: bcox

Forget the alarm, waste of money, it'll just scare them down the street to the next unsuspecting victim with lean cuisines in his garage. What you need is a nice comfy lawn chair and a shotgun.
Sorry to disagree, but having the alarm and scaring them off your property is exactly what you need to do. Also, in case of a breakin while you are home, I strongly recommend keeping a loaded pistol in a very handy place and everyone in the house should be familiar with using it. I keep one in the family room, one in hallway, one in the main bedroom, and one near the front door. I will protect my family and my property with deadly force.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:16 AM
Roses
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have two dogs that would lay there asleep while someone broke in and murdered me and raped the wife. However, let a cat fart outside and all hell breaks loose. That is why we love them and motorcycles. It is the idea that they are good for something not that they really are. LOL

Old 03-22-2007, 10:32 AM
shvlhead
Intermediate

my house and garage are connected, I leave the door leading to the garage open so my dogs ( hercules a pit rotty mix and daenara a rotty german sheperd mix ) can go in and out. the neighbors know from expeirence my dogs arent friendly andno one comes close. good fences and mean dogs make good neighbors. as for keeping a pistol I have several but pistols are bad for home defense. your best bet is a short barreled pump 410 shot gun, you don't have to worry about the bullet going through the wall and killing your kid by mistake.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:35 AM
Bigfoot
Tourer

This sucks! I feel your pain. I gave in and got a monitored alarm for the hose and garage. When I am home I have my 16" Marine Remington 870 12GA, but I am not home all the time. Yes the one inch slug it fires will still go through the walls, but not like a .45 will and we have no kids yet.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:39 AM
jerseyjeff62
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

they must not have been "cat burlgars" lol. hope your locking your doors now.sound like a typical crack head

Quick Reply: house robbery