General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

house robbery

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 03:50 PM
UmpOne
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: house robbery

Were any of the Lean Cuisine "Glazed Chic"my wife loves those. It could have been her, I'll check the garage to see if any of those items are sitting around.

Just Kidding - sorry for your loss. Did you file an insurance claim?

UmpOne

Old 03-22-2007, 04:07 PM
pauly711
Intermediate

Did you file an insurance claim?
The bike was worth $500 and the tools totaled ~$150. So to file a claim with a $500 deductable and w/o receipts forthe tools- bought 8 years ago not worth it. I did however have the serial # for the bike and gave it to the police. The police around here are pretty vigilant about pulling people over that are riding bikes at 2am since most if not all are out looking for a fix or up to no good. Have looked at local pawn shops, but hind sight is 20/20 where funny thing is that these were the few of the tools that I had not put a personal ID on them just in case this happened.

Old 03-22-2007, 04:32 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: Domestic Violence

ORIGINAL: rh8234

ORIGINAL: bcox

Forget the alarm, waste of money, it'll just scare them down the street to the next unsuspecting victim with lean cuisines in his garage. What you need is a nice comfy lawn chair and a shotgun.
Sorry to disagree, but having the alarm and scaring them off your property is exactly what you need to do.
ill tell you from experience that the only things alarms do is notify the police that someone has broken into your home. the time it takes for the alarm monitoring company to be notified and then for them to notify your police dept. and then the police dispatcher put the job out to the officers- the burglary has already been done and the criminal is on their way.

alarms are a waste of money.

I won't argue with that if we're talking about seasoned professional burglers. They can get in and out quickly. The noise the alarm makes though, can scare off the teenager type home invaders. When my house was robbed a couple years ago, it was kids that just took things they could stuff in their pockets like jewlery and cash. If I'd had the alarm at the time, it might have spooked them off. I'll continue wasting my money. In two years time, it has cost me only a fraction of what I lost in the burglary. Also, if I'm asleep and somebody breaks in, it will wake me up right now so my pal S&W can take care of them.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:40 PM
bcox
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

All kidding aside I think alarms are a good idea. Any means of security IS a good investment. Especially if you have a family to protect, but I'm still afirm believer a shotgun is your best bet for when you are home.

Old 03-23-2007, 12:23 AM
toyrider
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate to ask, but do you leave your garage door open when you are home ? Majority of the time, it would be someone who is familiar with the neighborhood either from relatives, friends, etc. and saw what you had, or saw items of ease and value. The reason they stole the bike, circular saw, etc is these items can be sold rather quickly.

Keep in mind that if you are targeted once, you are mostly likely to get hit again, since they were successful. Amazing we live in a world were people think they are entitled to one's hard earned property. I am a believer that a thief if convicted, should have his fingers cut off.

Good luck and see if your items are somewhere nearby, they may be closer than you think.

Old 03-23-2007, 01:15 AM
Crushertx3
Road Warrior

well since I have been in the alarm business since 1971 I cant agree with some of the comments made here
I am glad to see you had your system reactivated if you need the name of a reliable tech in your area let me know as I have a former associate that is near you .
you never said if it was a monitored system or not I can also help out in that area if needed .
A good 2-way voice system is the way to go for a monitored system also I prefer wireless but the company that I am with now prefers hardwire .

I do hope the San Berdoo cops catch them but knowing your area I seriously doubt it
I used toservice systems in your area when I lived in Corona