General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

house robbery

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 11:03 AM
Gerard
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: house robbery

I'm glad to see you are taking the proper precautions now... i.e. alarm system, locking doors etc. Most people go through life thinking that it will never happen to them but when it does, it really hits hard and openstheir eyes. And never underestimate the value a good dog. I can honestly say if it weren't for my 2 dogs in my backyard, both my ex girlfriend and I would be taking dirt naps right now.

Old 03-22-2007, 11:06 AM
Biggol
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: jerseyjeff62

they must not have been "cat burlgars" lol. hope your locking your doors now.sound like a typical crack head
I was thinking the same thing. Chances are they didn't take the saw to pawn, they took it because they have a place in mind they need to get in to and that saw is going to help them. The meals you can trade other crack heads for the drug. Crackheads (when they burglarize) will take the most random crap because it's useful to them beyond a quick buck or two.

Bicycle, obviously useful to a crack head. Dremel? Heck yeah, small portable drill with heads small enough to bore out small door and window housing screw. etc.

Sorry to hear about this. They will come back if they were happy with the risk vs reward of your place. One of the places I used to work I had to fortify/rebuild after crackheads kept coming in. I added a steel layer to the front door. I added expanded metal to the windows. I locked down everything on the inside. I put a bead of weld on the fence bolts to prevent them taking down the 8' fence w/ 1.5' razorwire.. For each new fix i'd make, they'd come in and tear more up. I hung up fake security cameras, they stole them. Finally I stripped the place bare and there hasn't been a problem since.

Old 03-22-2007, 11:58 AM
Beeracuda
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love living in the country, but I have been burglarized 3 times! The first time, they caught the guy and he got life as a habitual criminal. I got the majority of the stuff back. The second time, I got nothing back. They pretty much cleaned out the house, except the guns.

Prior to the third time, I installed an alarm. They did get my computer and the satellite box, but that was it. The sheriff's deputy was close and was at the house, with two blown tires, in less than 4 minutes. He went across the railroad tracks (and these are rough) so fast, he blew both back tires. Unfortunately, the guy or guys were already gone and he could chase anybody anyway.

Since then, my renter has set the alarm off so many times, I afraid that they won't be in any hurry to get there if I do have another burglary.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:33 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

"pistols are bad for home defense. your best bet is a short barreled pump 410 shot gun, you don't have to worry about the bullet going through the wall and killing your kid by mistake. "

For in the house, I use light loads 38 caliber with wad cutters. I prefer pistols to shotguns because even a short shotgun can be awkward in up-close encounters and it's easier for the bad guy to grab. Just my preference. Use whatever makes you comfortable. Just keep it handy and loaded.

Old 03-22-2007, 01:36 PM
06ultra
Elite HDF Member

Well that suck's, hope they catch them. Last week they broke into my daughters boyfriend's parent's house. Even came back the next day for anoher load.

Old 03-22-2007, 02:17 PM
HogBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah that sucks. I have pistols, but favor a slide action pump for home defense. A LEO told me once that they (home invaders)can't hear a pistol ****, but the sound of a shotgun slide working is audible (and unique). They might feel they can dodge a bullet, but a shotgun blast is a whole 'nother story. I thought that sounded pretty logical to me.

Old 03-22-2007, 02:31 PM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 30 Posts

ORIGINAL: rh8234

ORIGINAL: bcox

Forget the alarm, waste of money, it'll just scare them down the street to the next unsuspecting victim with lean cuisines in his garage. What you need is a nice comfy lawn chair and a shotgun.
Sorry to disagree, but having the alarm and scaring them off your property is exactly what you need to do.
ill tell you from experience that the only things alarms do is notify the police that someone has broken into your home. the time it takes for the alarm monitoring company to be notified and then for them to notify your police dept. and then the police dispatcher put the job out to the officers- the burglary has already been done and the criminal is on their way.

alarms are a waste of money.

Old 03-22-2007, 02:33 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

track the tools down at the pawn shops. Girl at work; her daughters bike was stolen. she started hitting all the pawn brokers and found the bike. Police came and found the offender. she got her bike and he got time.

Old 03-22-2007, 02:55 PM
Katie
Elite HDF Member

The babysitter we had for my oldest daughter's wedding, made a Wonderful haul of old family jewellry, vid games, movies, etc, but what got her caught was the food she took. Specifically a giant bag of marshmallows. Yup, roast-over-the-fire marshmallows... her bf came over one day shortly after & asked if we wanted some marshmallows for the kids, as he had no idea why his gf would have bought them; he Hates them.... he ended up going thru his place & it was he that called the cops & even pressed charges against her. The cops found out our stuff was ina pawn shop out of town & I got most of it back.
Somehow I don't think you can trust Anyone anymore...

Old 03-22-2007, 03:45 PM
Gerard
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Domestic Violence

ORIGINAL: rh8234

ORIGINAL: bcox

Forget the alarm, waste of money, it'll just scare them down the street to the next unsuspecting victim with lean cuisines in his garage. What you need is a nice comfy lawn chair and a shotgun.
Sorry to disagree, but having the alarm and scaring them off your property is exactly what you need to do.
ill tell you from experience that the only things alarms do is notify the police that someone has broken into your home. the time it takes for the alarm monitoring company to be notified and then for them to notify your police dept. and then the police dispatcher put the job out to the officers- the burglary has already been done and the criminal is on their way.

alarms are a waste of money.
My house has an alarm but I don't bother to have it monitored for the reasons you described. But what alarms will do is not let them take all afternoon to clean out your house. Since they don't know if my system is monitored or not, they should get out fast.

Quick Reply: house robbery