Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st day battery no good, Trike 2014.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 09:35 PM
TwinCooled
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucket list Trike
Took out battery and delivered to Harley Sweetwater in Nasty City. Service manager gave me a funny look with all of the other mechanics. Who is this guy telling us he wants a new battery, finally convinced after they put it on a battery tester. No problem. Purchase a new battery charger for the tender plug. $60, new style charger 800 amps, discontinued the old ones for $40. Got new cover, catalog and looking at getting a set of fender bras and chrome rear bumper. That is it for now.
Al
Congrats on your new ride!

Old 02-19-2014, 09:46 PM
oldwarrior
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucket list Trike
Took out battery and delivered to Harley Sweetwater in Nasty City. Service manager gave me a funny look with all of the other mechanics. Who is this guy telling us he wants a new battery, finally convinced after they put it on a battery tester. No problem. Purchase a new battery charger for the tender plug. $60, new style charger 800 amps, discontinued the old ones for $40. Got new cover, catalog and looking at getting a set of fender bras and chrome rear bumper. That is it for now.
Al
Think you mean the 800mA Waterproof Battery Tender #66000004, same one I have for my Slim.

800 amps would blow the doors off the garage.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:40 AM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 15,621 Likes on 4,898 Posts

Originally Posted by kingomtn
Paid $60 for a $49 hd list price accessory that is less than $40 most anywhere else?
odd..
I also do not understand what has happened to battery quality, I've concluded it's designed obsolescence. What used to last 5 to 6 years now gets 4 at best.
batteries are powering a lot more stuff these days. more draw, more consumers, more things with memory. fuel injection, stereo's nav units more lighting, theres quite a difference from the cars and bikes from 6,8, or 10 years ago. that all takes a toll on the battery

Old 02-20-2014, 02:38 PM
Extricator
Advanced
Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

I am a service manager for a landscape equipment distributor and some of our equipment we distribute now uses the AGM batteries. These batteries are actually better than the wet cells for many reasons. The problem with them is many people are replacing them for no reason. Once a glass matt battery discharges below 80% you can NOT recharge them with a standard battery charger. You will need a charger that has a AGM setting on it or you need to put a regular wet cell battery in series. You need to fool the standard charger.

AGM Battery Charging Facts: If your charger does not have an “AGM” setting on it then
you’ll have to trick your charger into sensing the AGM battery. An AGM battery can discharge
over 80% of it charge and still be good. Normal wet cells can not discharge 80% of their
charge and still be good. Therefore older chargers are designed to not turn on when a
battery is deeply discharged. To make an old charger sense the presence of an AGM battery
you will need to hook the AGM battery in series (positive to positive, negative to negative as
shown below) with another battery that still has at least 10.5 volts. The charger will now
charge both batteries at the same time. Leave it on charge a couple hours and if the AGM
battery is still actually good, just deeply discharged, it will come right back to life.

Here is also a good read on AGM batteries http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/g...y/viewall.html

Old 02-20-2014, 04:11 PM
Big Trev
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
Motorcycle battery makers recommend a charging rateof no more the 2 amps.

I have gotten more than eight years on AGM motorcycle batteries with great consistency.
All very well and dandy, and the output of the charging system on your bike is ???????

Old 02-20-2014, 04:16 PM
Big Trev
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Extricator
An AGM battery can discharge
over 80% of it charge and still be good.
What would the voltage be, at 80% discharge?

Old 02-20-2014, 04:45 PM
DDuess
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Big Trev
What would the voltage be, at 80% discharge?
80% charge would be about 11.6 volts on a lead acid battery.

On another note, I haven't had a problem with getting an AGM battery to take a charge, the new ones I have had wont hold a charge, working fine on a daily driver, but going flat if undriven for a week or more. I AM aware of parasitic loads, and I have checked, no excessive parasitic load exists, proven with a flooded cell battery working just fine. I also have old AGM batteries that work just fine, 8-10 years old, it is the new ones (Optimas and Excide spiral cells) i have purchased that are not worth the money spent.

Old 02-20-2014, 04:55 PM
Big Trev
Road Captain

Originally Posted by DDuess
80% charge would be about 11.6 volts on a lead acid battery.

On another note, I haven't had a problem with getting an AGM battery to take a charge, the new ones I have had wont hold a charge, working fine on a daily driver, but going flat if undriven for a week or more. I AM aware of parasitic loads, and I have checked, no excessive parasitic load exists, proven with a flooded cell battery working just fine. I also have old AGM batteries that work just fine, 8-10 years old, it is the new ones (Optimas and Excide spiral cells) i have purchased that are not worth the money spent.
Thanks

Old 02-20-2014, 05:04 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,610 Likes on 5,708 Posts

Originally Posted by harleycharlie1992
No, He meant 800 amps, and when you aren't using it for that, it doubles as a welder!

An 800 amp welder costs about 35 grand...

Old 02-22-2014, 09:12 PM
Bucket list Trike
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
for a tender, i'm thinking maybe he meant 800 milli-amps?
Sorry for the wrong term used. Milli amp is correct.

Quick Reply: 1st day battery no good, Trike 2014.