General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Makes you wonder...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 10:24 AM
CoyoteQuick
Supporter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Makes you wonder...

Have you ever thought what go through drivers minds when they are behind the wheel of an automobile? Are pedestrians, construction or we bikers? Where are bikers safe from those who are ignorant, for instance...this happened to me on
January 7th of this year..

I park my bike by the front door of 7-11, I come out of 7-11 with a sandwich and beverage...only to raise my arms and yell "HEY, HEY!"...

My bike was the only vehicle in the parking lot...but that didn't help either...

An SUV came in like he was going for his personal parking spot...the one my bike was occupying...and ran my bike over...I would go so far as to say he was aiming...and call it ...MURDER

He tried to convince me to stand the bike up and follow him to his body shop...um yeah sure NOT! He couldn't understand why I was so pissed off, after all that's why he has insurance.

Just like folks that don't have pets...they just don't get it. I can explain it to him but I can't understand it for him.

But wait...there's more...he's telling his insurance company that it was his son...in a totally different vehicle that hit the bike, took off and that he came back to console me and that I'm defrauding the insurance company by saying I was on the bike and have I injuries... Updates to follow...

Makes you wonder...-forumrunner_20140218_082347.jpg

Old 02-18-2014, 10:50 AM
gamble71
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 29,137 Likes on 9,675 Posts

that would have resulted in an *** whoopin... woulda just told the cops I didn't have time to think... all I saw was dude walkin at me.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:26 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

Yeah, first thing you should have done is call the cops and get the whole thing documented.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:28 PM
Roadie53
Road Captain

Damn man,that sucks! Did the person behind the counter back you?
Hope the store has video and things work out for you.

Not real sure how I would have reacted,I just hope that doesn't happen to me.

The only bike in the lot......damn.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:31 PM
slozomby
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you were near the front door the 7-11 should have it on video.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:42 PM
Frostbite
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,746 Likes on 1,669 Posts

Always hard to think of when it happens, but the first thing to do is PICTURES! LOTS of pictures! Make sure to get a clear one of the license plate and the driver. Like they say, a pic is worth a 1000 words.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:55 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,763 Likes on 2,531 Posts

Amen on the photo doc. then send it to their ins. and get the police involved if they will in a private lot. This BS about "why I have insurance" is just that, BS! There is very little personal accountability in this country, it's just not being instilled in todays society. Okay, I'm done.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:55 PM
CoyoteQuick
Supporter
Default Shoulda...Coulda...Didn't....crappers!

Well, Cashier doesn't want to get involved however she did back up what I said when his insurance companies special investigator dropped by...but...because she doesn't want to get involved, they can't or won't use her as a valid witness. As far as cameras, I talked to the owner of the store and he said that the coverage only goes to the edge of the counter.

I wish I would have called the cops but stupid me, thinking that because it's on private property with no traffic control, I didn't think they could have done anything except have us exchange info. That is making me bite myself in the *** because I went to the Police station and spoke with the desk Sargent and he stated a report would have been made and the run-around could have been avoided.

And hell yes I was pissed, even though he had bey by 100 lbs, I got up on and I know I seen fear in his eyes, there wasn't an expletive that I didn't know that didn't out of my mouth.

As far as my personal can of whoop-***, if I had been packin' and so much as put my hand on it....he might have pulled his out feeling threatened and followed through.

What adds to the mix is that I didn't have my reading glasses so I trusted him to write down his info....when I did see the info, I could barely read it. Took two hours with his insurance company to figure it out who he was and what the policy number was.

So let this be a lesson, even if it is on private property...CALL THE COPS. If you can't see to write down the insurance, driver license and registration, get some you trust to do so and/or take pictures of the documents

Updates to follow...

I created a claim through my insurance and we've already started the work....$5000 + in damage

Old 02-18-2014, 01:09 PM
SilverEagle50
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I learned a lesson similar to this with my son's car (someone backed out and hit him). Use that camera on your phone. take a pic of the vehicles, take a pic of the driver (owner of the vehicle or not), and especially take pics of his driver's license and insurance card. All of these things will take the chaos out of the situation. I teach Driver's Ed at my school and now teach these steps in that class.

and never let them tell you to "take it somewhere that they know" or "don't call the cops because of this or that reason". The cops can't do much on private property, but they can write a report that the insurance will have to take into consideration.

Coyote, I think you may have already, but turn this over to your insurance. They will pursue the driver and his insurance with way more weight than you ever can.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:25 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

Well...you can barely see a bike in a parking lot when it sitting there alone. All of that empty space is a distraction.

Good Luck and sue his ***

Quick Reply: Makes you wonder...