General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommended reading for ALL Harley-Davidson enthusiasts

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 11:04 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Recommended reading for ALL Harley-Davidson enthusiasts

By going to the dearby Barnes and Noble, or Borders, etc. you can find some really nice hardback books, that are really nice to have and read withcoffee at the table in the morning, or at night. In reading these books, you can really learn alot about the history of "our" MOCO! Case in point....the shovelheads in the early to mid 70's really were JUNK! Actual stories of new bikes on the showroom floor with pans under them to catch the oil leaks. The internal struggle between AMF management and the union, caused alot of sabotage to happen to the bikes, and it caused alot of folks to go to imports. It was hard to ignore the Honda CB750/4 when it came out in 1969, it was light years ahead of the competition! The MOCO has fixed those problems now...but reading about all of this stuff, gives you an appreciation and understanding of the Anti-Harley crowd. Also neat to see all the different variations of the V-twin. I recommend:

"The Harley-Davidson Century" by Barnes and Noble books.

And...if you are a chopper guy (I am, at heart), Chop Fiction, the Billy Lane book is a cool book to have...

Any body else have any neat ones to get?

Joe

Old 03-20-2007, 11:16 PM
Drtbag
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Recommended reading for ALL Harley-Davidson enthusiasts

Thanks! Good suggestion.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:25 PM
Mac57
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: traveler

By
"The Harley-Davidson Century" by Barnes and Noble books.

Joe

I agree. That is a good read. Here's another one.
"The Harley Davidson Reader" by Motorbooks. It includes writings by Hunter S. Thompson, Sonny Barger, Arlen Ness, Peter Egan and a number of other well know writers. The forward is written by Jean Davidson. Fantastic photos and animations as well. Got mine at Borders, but any good book store should have it.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:30 PM
Alien Spyder
Grand HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not much of a reader but I got a hard cover book for Christmas from my neighbor and I just cracked it open for the first time last week. The book is called "H-D The American Motorcycle" by Allan Girdler.

It was an excellent read. It's kind of a chronological hostory of H-D. It starts with the 1909 Model 5 and works it's way up through important milestones of the bikes. I learned a lot about how the Harley Davidson motore evolved into what they are today. There were also a lot of great pictures and illustrations.

A guy at work recently brought in an Indian larry book and I started flipping through it just out of bordom. It turned out to be an awesome book. It was Called "Indian larry Chopper Shaman".

I can't upload the pictures of the books because the upload keeps timing out! [:@]

Old 03-21-2007, 12:19 AM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the heads up

Old 03-21-2007, 12:30 AM
yoopermjm
Tourer

thanks traveler, just ordered the HD Century.

Looking forward to a good read.

Mike

Old 03-21-2007, 01:30 AM
capt42a
Road Master

Not a book about Harley Davidson but a story about an adventure on a motorcycle through South America" Two Wheels Through Terror ", written by Glen Heggstad. Excellent book.
capt42a

Old 03-21-2007, 01:54 AM
kiltiemon
Outstanding HDF Member

Ha Ha!!!! Doods... I'm a Librarian... I just go "ILL" for books, take them home, let them "fall" into my "replicator" aka "scanner" and read them in full color at a later date...!!!

For "one time use" only, of course!!!

Jim aka kiltiemon... (of course, the rest of you could do the same... Just ask your library's "reference desk" to do an "ILL" for you... and as Dr. Lehrer would say... "Plagerize, let no one else's work evade your eyes... remember why the good lord made your eyes... just plagerize, plagerize, plagerize!!!")

Old 03-21-2007, 02:14 AM
chopperz71
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

"Hells Angel" the Sonny Barger story. Awesome read. And Traveler, I look foreward to all of your posts just to see the white pants chick. I stare for at least 5 seconds every time.

Old 03-21-2007, 03:24 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: chopperz71

"Hells Angel" the Sonny Barger story. Awesome read. And Traveler, I look foreward to all of your posts just to see the white pants chick. I stare for at least 5 seconds every time.
She's sweet huh? notice, no sag or camel toes....aahhh a thing of beauty. I'm kind of a T&A connseiur.......

Joe
[&:]

Quick Reply: Recommended reading for ALL Harley-Davidson enthusiasts