General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Harbor Freight Table Lift thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 05:49 PM
lowebudget
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Harbor Freight Table Lift thread

I know theres a ton and I feel like Ive read them all but I had a question as to what guys were using as the "service" jack on the lift when they want to drop the rear pan so that they can take the rear wheel off? Also i'm guessing when you take your front wheel off youre not using the table? Sorry if these questions seem silly but all I've ever had is a floor jack and was looking at getting a table lift. Thanks in advance!

Old 02-13-2014, 06:03 PM
BikerV
Road Warrior

I have a "Handy Industries" lift. However Those nice scissor jacks are like $100 at swap meets. I use one of those along with the Handy lift. To take off the front wheel use the scissor jack under the bike and two ratchet straps from the rear of the bike down to the lift to remove the front wheel. Plus I never did use the stop plate that keeps you from rolling the bike too far forward, All it does is get in the way and make the front wheel harder to get off. As my late Harley mechanic friend used to say, "If you need to rely on a stopper to keep the bike from rolling too far putting it on the lift, then you shouldn't be working on bikes".

Last edited by BikerV; 02-13-2014 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:25 PM
bigjames4xl
Tourer
Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

I use an automotive scissors jack and a 1x4 treated board. When I do the front tire I put it in gear put the jack as far forward as I can and jack up the front, loosening the straps as I raise it. I also put a set of straps rearward for safety. I start with the front tire in a chock and remove it after jacking the front up. Works for me.

Not that good a picture but maybe you'll get the Idea.

Last edited by bigjames4xl; 02-13-2014 at 06:29 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:31 PM
08Nighttrain
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I too use an automotive Jack but I went ahead and welded a piece of 3/8 plate steel to the top of it so it is 6" wide and around 20" long. Made a base for it to but never even used it, really stable.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:53 PM
charloo
Cruiser

not sure what your budget is like but I'm eyeing a lift from direct lift, 645.00 plus tax and the shipping quote was 150.00. A friend has the HF lift and says it works pretty good, I'm choosing to go with the lift as its run on air and plan to get a lot of use out of it.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:56 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

I really want this table but my garage is almost too small for the two bikes I have and I just don't have the room.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:53 AM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I got this harbor freight jack on sale, and with a coupon... I figured if it didn't work out I didn't spend too much money, but so far it has been a really great piece of hardware. Some of the welds I did gouge out and re-do on the tabs where the lock bar goes for peace of mind but they were probably fine to begin with. Just remove the handle when you're working on the scooter.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:52 AM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,872 Likes on 9,333 Posts

This is a Flat Jack. Wide plate and folds down for the lowest of lowriders. Very stable. I put the bike up on the table then slip this under the bike and I can take both wheels off.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:01 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,840 Likes on 3,179 Posts

On the front wheel, I do it on the ground using an automotive jack to lift the bike at a point directly across from the side stand (basically under the right floorboard.)

Old 02-14-2014, 07:14 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by EasternSP

This is a Flat Jack. Wide plate and folds down for the lowest of lowriders. Very stable. I put the bike up on the table then slip this under the bike and I can take both wheels off.
Very similar to what I use. I have a HF lift table, have about $300 into it total.

I never mounted the stop that came with it instead mounting a Bike Pro chock on it. Works great.

I had a scissor jack to lift the bike up for wheel removal but it tended to slide on the tabletop. Plus there was no good secure way to hit the frame on my wideglide. So I got a small lift like you have in above pic. I got a Titan table lift.

Quick Reply: Another Harbor Freight Table Lift thread