General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome buttons????

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 05:04 PM
PlanoRider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrome buttons????

I was in two of the local (North Texas) HD dealers lately and I noticed in one they had done the chrome treatment on the controls and also the buttons, start, turn signal.....

At the other dealer they never did the buttons just the housings. I asked the salesman why and he said. "Don't ever chrome the buttons!!! Its a BAD idea! They will short out!"

Does this agree with the experience anyone here has had with chrome buttons????

Old 03-20-2007, 05:11 PM
R_Einan
Road Master
Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts
Default RE: Chrome buttons????

Ummmm, no. I chose to only do the housings and not the buttons because that is the same style that my grips are; chrome housing and black insets. Besides I believe the 'chrome' button covers are chrome plated plastic not aluminium or another metal.

RE

Old 03-20-2007, 05:12 PM
Sam
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe that shop had a bad experience.....but it must have been a fluke. I work at a dealership and we put a ton of these switches on and have never had a problem. In fact I have them on my bike (not in the picture below).

Old 03-20-2007, 06:24 PM
Manish_Hawg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think what the guy meant at the Dealer is, you can take your switch housing off, and have them chromed, but you can't have the buttons chromed. But why would you want to chrome the buttons when they are about $16. Like R_Einan said, they are chrome plastic parts.

Old 03-20-2007, 06:27 PM
v2in
Tourer

My SG has Black housings with chrome buttons and screws. Just to be a little different.

Old 03-20-2007, 07:04 PM
metal_mike
Road Warrior

i actually have a set bought from ebay and theyre not quite like the harley ones...theyre actually hard chromed...meaning instead of vacuum-formed plastic chrome[like the toy makers use] these are dipped/coated w/ copper...then chrome plated !

havent installed them yet...but they look cool and they sound like metal when the clang together in the bag....i'll post a review when theyre intalled

Old 03-20-2007, 08:17 PM
Heritage07
Road Warrior
Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

I think the chrome buttons are over kill. For one you can't even read what they say. They look chinsey too!I like the contrast you get with chrome switch covers. Just my .02

Old 03-20-2007, 08:38 PM
kmrutledge
Cruiser

I have them on mine and they look really good (IMO ). I will tell you this, Those
things were a pain in the a** to put on. Mabey it was just me but about half way through
I wished I'd paid the dealer to put them on. I do like them, they look awsome on my bike.

Old 03-20-2007, 08:45 PM
Manish_Hawg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I like them too, but mine are still in their package. I will install them when I do the handlebars

Old 03-20-2007, 08:47 PM
FXSTI Guy
Banned

Same here...kept the stock black housingsand installedthe chrome HD switch covers (turn sigs, horn, high beam, kill and start)...I like the look and have had ZERO problems in over 2,000 miles...that salesman is an idiot.
ORIGINAL: v2in

My SG has Black housings with chrome buttons and screws. Just to be a little different.

Quick Reply: Chrome buttons????