Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

camera ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 10:39 PM
spider2
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default camera ?

I want to buy a camera to mount on my triglide. Any suggestions on what camera and where to mount it? Photos of your setup welcome.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:41 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

GoPro. Can mount those things anywhere!

http://gopro.com/

Old 02-11-2014, 06:29 AM
peg20
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It depends on what you want it for. If you want to record your rides in order to remember them/upload to youtube or whatever, then you want a different camera to if you are wanting to record for evidence in the event of an accident or whatever.

For recording rides, I hate the GoPro because of the stupid shape. It looks like a small brick and stands out wherever you try and put it. I bought the Drift HD. It's all black and has a discrete cross-section so can be mounted pretty discretely.

If recording for evidence, then look at the reviews on http://www.techmoan.com/

Old 02-11-2014, 07:23 AM
bcbueller
Advanced

Check out the www.replayxd.com camera . hands down the easiest to use and they do have a wifi modle about to hit the market

Old 02-11-2014, 08:25 AM
painey
Road Warrior
Received 220 Likes on 110 Posts

I also use a drift HD, quality as good a GoPro but easier to mount.
See pic below, fits nicely between riding light and headlamp, no vibrations

Old 02-11-2014, 09:20 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by peg20
If recording for evidence, then look at the reviews on http://www.techmoan.com/
For making home movies of your rides, I agree with Go Pro.

If anybody is mounting a camera on their bike to record evidence, and they aren't a police officer or a private detective, they need to stop riding a motorcycle. Seriously, I don't have much respect for the "dress for the crash" nuts, but to go as far as mounting a camera to record your crashes means you need to sell the bike and your collection of armored clothing and get opn with driving your prius.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:32 AM
deano360
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by brenn
For making home movies of your rides, I agree with Go Pro.

If anybody is mounting a camera on their bike to record evidence, and they aren't a police officer or a private detective, they need to stop riding a motorcycle. Seriously, I don't have much respect for the "dress for the crash" nuts, but to go as far as mounting a camera to record your crashes means you need to sell the bike and your collection of armored clothing and get opn with driving your prius.
you can always use the camera as a learning tool, i my self would put one on my bike for different reasons and for several reasons..

1) would be to do the home movie thing

2) would be to review the ride, so i can see what could be hazards that we avoided (the learning tool part)....

3) for evidence as to what happened, if something happened on the ride and by doing so protecting us from legal action, we have proof

its sad that a person has to think of such measures, i drive truck and see many things that a camera would be a benefit.... and up here in the pacific NW and where we enjoy riding, there could be anything happening on the rides even to the point of having proof for other bikers in the event of something happening like a hit-and-run

Old 02-11-2014, 10:16 AM
Recycled
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This Sony Action Cam was a gift. It mounts on my bike in seconds, can take photos or video, controled by remote mounted on the bars or worn on the wrist. It has stability control to smooth out the image as well as WiFi. It isn't quite as obvious as the Go-Pro cameras being shaped somewhat narrower. I have yet to take it for a test ride mounted on the bike being winter but have used it several times in other venues. Works great! Comes with a ton of accessories (not all shown in the pic).

Attached Thumbnails camera ?-sony-action-cam-006.jpg   camera ?-sony-action-cam-001.jpg  
Old 02-12-2014, 10:17 AM
HpyRider
Advanced
Default Camera

I understand the new Go Pro+ is very good close up but not good for landscapes or far views and that the old model is much better for picture quality for far off views. Would the Drift HD be the better purchase for far off picture quality or has Go Pro+ corrected the problem?

Old 02-12-2014, 10:34 AM
goodie85
Novice

gopro ftw, things are flawless we have 4 of em for our race cars

Quick Reply: camera ?