General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Setting up a old livestock trailer for hauling bikes

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 06:40 PM
MOSTWANTED
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setting up a old livestock trailer for hauling bikes

Last fall I inherited a old livestock trailer from my grandpa. It is a 1971 according to the title and is in useable condition. So far I have just used it to move a few things and storage. I put a tarp over it to cover the open sides to keep the weather out while it sits. Anyway I have been thinking about how I could set it up to haul bikes if needed. The main concern is with tie downs. It has a wood plank floor made of what I think are 2x6's. It is 16' long. What are my options for tie downs? The other concern I have is axle maintenance. Where/ how do I find bearings and such on this old of a trailer? What kind of tires should I look for?

Although I would love a nice fancy enclosed toy hauler I can't really afford one. I have some ideas to "enclose" this livestock trailer and give it some cool paint job or something but I haven't decieded cuz u never know I may want to haul me some critter some day so I might not want to go overboard. lol Anyone else done something like this?

Old 02-06-2014, 06:54 PM
edilgdaor
Banned
Received 6,611 Likes on 3,880 Posts

Originally Posted by MOSTWANTED
Last fall I inherited a old livestock trailer from my grandpa. It is a 1971 according to the title and is in useable condition. So far I have just used it to move a few things and storage. I put a tarp over it to cover the open sides to keep the weather out while it sits. Anyway I have been thinking about how I could set it up to haul bikes if needed. The main concern is with tie downs. It has a wood plank floor made of what I think are 2x6's. It is 16' long. What are my options for tie downs? The other concern I have is axle maintenance. Where/ how do I find bearings and such on this old of a trailer? What kind of tires should I look for?

Although I would love a nice fancy enclosed toy hauler I can't really afford one. I have some ideas to "enclose" this livestock trailer and give it some cool paint job or something but I haven't decieded cuz u never know I may want to haul me some critter some day so I might not want to go overboard. lol Anyone else done something like this?
First thing I'd do was get a bumper sticker that said "THERE ARE NO PISSING RACE HORSES IN THIS TRAILER". If you've ever been behind a livestock trailer that started gushing fluid while you were on a motorcycle, you'd understand.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:55 PM
Guitardude
Club Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Etrack and the associated rings from harbor freight is the easiest and cheapest way to go, couple that way a good wheel caulk and your good.

I just went with biker bars from B&W trailers, pricey but so so simple and the security they offer is amazing! No straps to worry about.

I have an old stock trailer that I've thought about doing this with for three bikes, semi enclosed but easy enough to make fully enclosed, give it a fun paint job and watch the looks!

Old 02-06-2014, 06:58 PM
phillyrube
Road Warrior

I've got a couple Pingel wheel chocks you could throw in there. Let 'em go cheep.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:00 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

I recomend re wiring the whole thing as well. Good idea to re perpose a trailer.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:23 PM
Freebirdsride1
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Haul Two Iron Horses in the 16' Harbor freight has the removable wheel chocks, hide away tie down rings and tie down straps all in one stop. You can remove all the bike chocks and haul livestock a multipurpose trailer HEE YA

Old 02-06-2014, 11:39 PM
kirbyblue
Tourer

Originally Posted by Freebirdsride1
Haul Two Iron Horses in the 16' Harbor freight has the removable wheel chocks, hide away tie down rings and tie down straps all in one stop. You can remove all the bike chocks and haul livestock a multipurpose trailer HEE YA
I was going to buy one and do just that. semi open, room for some gear, add some cool paint. dobe deal

Old 02-07-2014, 12:29 AM
KUB
Extreme HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by kirbyblue
I was going to buy one and do just that. semi open, room for some gear, add some cool paint. dobe deal
only if you haul the old moo glides !

the stock trailers should work great a little heavy for the tow vehicles. the wheel bearings should be stock due to axle sizes so should not be a big problem pull the wheel and repack the bearings. also you got a dry place to bed down if ya needed too !

Old 02-07-2014, 12:48 AM
MOSTWANTED
Road Captain

Yeah, I have a F250 powerstroke to pull it with. I had the idea to put sheet metal over the open area and rear door. I would need to reseal the roof again and there is alot of rust in the sheet metal. Maybe bed liner material like linex or even resheet with new metal. For now though, new tires, serviced bearings, and tie down points will make it usefull if/when I need to move bikes.

Old 02-07-2014, 01:21 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I would pull the bearings out and inspect them, if they look good clean them up and repack them. If not it should be no problem finding replacements. Make sure to check the races to. If you want simple hold downs I have seen some heavy duty ones at Fred Myers for a really decent price. If the 2x6 flooring is solid you can drill thru it and mount your hold downs, I would be sure use a backing plate or some large fender washers on the bottom side. If possible check out Cycle Gear for wheel chocks, I have picked up a couple of heavy duty ones there for the same price as the light weight cheapies sold at Harbor Freight

Quick Reply: Setting up a old livestock trailer for hauling bikes