General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Setting up a old livestock trailer for hauling bikes

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 01:56 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,014 Likes on 12,003 Posts

Originally Posted by soft 02
Good idea to re perpose a trailer.
Original purpose of the trailer isn't changing, sounds like it will still be hauling hogs.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:01 AM
MOSTWANTED
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
Original purpose of the trailer isn't changing, sounds like it will still be hauling hogs.

Lol. It was never used for the 4 legged varity afaik. We had cattle up until around 2001. Since then it has only been used as a cargo trailer and storage. The inside is clean too and no weird smells except for maybe when my teenagers use it as a hang out.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:26 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good idea. Never thought about this before. Definitely could be done. Let us know how it turns out.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:29 PM
sunderhill
Road Master

Received 203 Likes on 90 Posts

PICTURES!!!!! Don't forget to post pictures when you get it serviceable

Old 02-07-2014, 08:57 PM
alhd
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having owned many horse and stock trailers, I highly recommend a very good inspection of the floor. It may look all right but remember its been soaked for years in a very corrosive fluid. Last thing you want is for the floor to let go with a bike in there. Floor rot is an issue in wooden floor stock trailers.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:17 AM
Sharpie
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I am re-purposing a 1976 galvanized boat trailer right now myself. I have been using a HF wheel CHOCK for a year now. It was only $24.99 with the coupon in Southern Thunder this month. 24898344 is the discount coupon and the item is 69026. It is very heavy duty and rolls up as you drive into the chock. There is an even heavier duty one for $42. They also sell light duty ones that are no more than a piece of conduit bent into a chock shape. You can order the chock online using the discount code and have it delivered to your house or picked up at the store.

I am putting an 2" extruded aluminum deck panels on my galvanized boat trailer so I never deal with rot. I'm using large eye bolts in the frame corners for tie down points. I just had the bearings/races and grease seals replaced in the hubs and will replace the tires and maybe the rims as well. I took aluminum truck tool box off my truck to mount on the front to put stuff into it for travel. The tool box also blocks oncoming debris that may strike the bike otherwise. New lights and loading ramps. I will post a thread on my project later but just giving you ideas of conversion and that conversions can be done.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:34 AM
AK97fxdwg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitardude
Etrack and the associated rings from harbor freight is the easiest and cheapest way to go, couple that way a good wheel caulk and your good.

I just went with biker bars from B&W trailers, pricey but so so simple and the security they offer is amazing! No straps to worry about.

I have an old stock trailer that I've thought about doing this with for three bikes, semi enclosed but easy enough to make fully enclosed, give it a fun paint job and watch the looks!
Never heard of them but just checked them out. Very cool! I've got a horse trailer that we will use to haul bikes if/when needed and this could be just the thing. Thanks for the recommendation!