General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Redwood Run 2014

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 01:07 PM
airborne96delta
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldskewl

I usually setup camp and then go riding until the night time activities start. Epic riding bands and people all around on that run.

OS
I can understand fights when you get a bunch of drunk fools around each other, but how about thefts? Thought about doing the same, but wanted to dump all my bags in the tent before heading out. Are people pretty cool about staying out of your stuff or is theft a problem there too?

Old 05-12-2014, 02:48 PM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,922 Likes on 3,290 Posts

Originally Posted by airborne96delta
I can understand fights when you get a bunch of drunk fools around each other, but how about thefts? Thought about doing the same, but wanted to dump all my bags in the tent before heading out. Are people pretty cool about staying out of your stuff or is theft a problem there too?

A good rule of thumb is to never leave anything you couldn't live without if it got lost or stolen. Jackets and gloves can be replaced but to be honest, I've never even heard of someones stuff being taken at this run.
Most people are just down to earth folks having a good time letting loose.

Last time I was there I parked my tent right next door to the HMAC camp... I bought a case beer and dropped it off with 4 bags of ice. Told them I was leaving didn't know when I would be back.. Came back the next day and everything was there exactly like I left it.. in fact, they parked bikes in front of my tent to keep people from blocking me in and moved them out of my way so i could pull up with my stuff...

As my daddy always told me... Respect, give some, get some.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:08 PM
st john
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

For me what you people call "old School Runs" is still going to the Yuma prision Run. I was at the Redwood run when it was "really" old school when it moved so did I. Do not get me wrong I am sure it is still one of the top runs on the west coast, CA but hey $130 really? I would think that is more old school on a BMW or Rushmore.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:21 PM
macafly
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We've never camped out at the entry the night before, as we wanted one last night in a motel in Eureka before the party marathon begins. We'd get to the bike lineup at the entry about 7:30 AM and the gates opened about 9:00 AM. I think they open earlier now.
Shade is definitely recommended for the tent spot and there's quite a bit of it on the grounds. I like the far end, about 1/2 way up the hill, enough away from the stage and the vendor area at the top to be relatively quiet. Everyone is very respectful of your belongings and I've never seen/heard of anyone getting ripped off. In fact, once you get to know your neighbors you'll all agree to keep watch over each other's stuff.
If/when I go next time, I'd like to do some day rides. But it's a long trip down and back from Seattle and we're there to drink, smoke and enjoy the sights and sounds.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:24 PM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by st john
For me what you people call "old School Runs" is still going to the Yuma prision Run. I was at the Redwood run when it was "really" old school when it moved so did I. Do not get me wrong I am sure it is still one of the top runs on the west coast, CA but hey $130 really? I would think that is more old school on a BMW or Rushmore.

Runs anymore are full of weekend warriors... The redwood run still has a mystic and keeps a lot of those unwilling to mingle with real bikers out. Those that do show up head out when the sun go's down which is fine cause that's when the party gets started.
French's camp was nice but you didn't have the river. River view ranch is much better. My first RWR was in 83... Yes, it was much more rowdy back then but so was I.
OS

Last edited by Oldskewl; 05-12-2014 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:45 PM
airborne96delta
Advanced

Originally Posted by macafly
If/when I go next time, I'd like to do some day rides. But it's a long trip down and back from Seattle and we're there to drink, smoke and enjoy the sights and sounds.
It's a 600 mile ride up for us, but if I don't take the OL out to see something while we're up there it will definitely be the last time. Lol. J/k, but she doesn't party as much as I do and going for a ride through the redwoods would make it fun for both of us. I'm all about the adventure getting there and the party afterwards, she's like "suffer through the ride up to see something cool".

Old 05-12-2014, 03:53 PM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member

"The ride" is the redwood national forest... Trees that were 80 ft tall when Christoper Columbus sailed to America. The whole area has a magical feel... Lot's of places to walk and check things out, exhibits and old growth trees.. Nothing like riding on a hot summer day with trees 300ft tall towering over you.
Music, bars, food and beautiful women everywhere.... Not much to dislike

OS

Old 05-12-2014, 03:57 PM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member

Airborne....

The last 100 miles there is very cool.. lots of stuff to look at.. the closer you get the more bikes you see... Trust me, if you go once you will go again... It's a trip to remember.

OS

Old 05-12-2014, 04:00 PM
airborne96delta
Advanced

Before I forget, thanks everyone for the informative replies. I'm a lot more jazzed about planning for this run than I am about work at the moment. Chomping at the bit to get the hell out of here for a while.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:02 PM
airborne96delta
Advanced

I'm looking forward to it OS. I've never been that far north in Cali before.

Quick Reply: Redwood Run 2014