General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why a Harley vs others?...honest opinions please...no flaming.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 09:12 PM
franciscojose
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why a Harley vs others?...honest opinions please...no flaming.

Ok, soI am very much in love with Harley. Local dealorship has a nice '04 Orange / Black V-Rod for sale. It's not that it is "overly expensive", but I decided to check out other makes (girlfriend made me...lol). For example Suzuki has a C90T. This is a totally decked out 1500cc touring bike. Cost is out the door without dealing, $11,400. They have a "V-Rod" equivalent 1800cc bike for $12,300 without dealing.

Don't get me wrong, I am not going to just go buy another make just because it's cheaper. But truth be told it is something I have to consider before investing this kind of money into a bike. What made you all decide to get a harley instead of another make which quite frankly gives you "more bang for the buck" ? I am not looking for a harley bs. the world debate, but honest and good opinions please.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:20 PM
fatboy44
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Why a Harley vs others?...honest opinions please...no flaming.

Do what makes you happy, but remember you are on a Harley site. Ride them all and buy what you want. Harleys are not for everyone!

Old 03-19-2007, 09:25 PM
bay13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post this in the V-rod section if you haven't, Most on the forum are not V-rod riders, it's a specific brand of HD and is different than the rest, so I'd give them a shout and see what they have to put into the conversation.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:26 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Ever since I can remember my escapist dream has been to jump on a chopper Hog and ride off into the setting sun and leave all the petty bullshit behind. Well, my dream is at least somewhat come true.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:29 PM
blacktrain
Advanced

I had a shadow and bought my 1st harley this year. Shadow is a nice bike, but now after having my harley, for only about a month, I wouldn't go back. There are alot of things that a harley is that the others are not...sound, style, history, every accessory imaginable, ect. There just more unique, and with all the accessories, you can make it unique to your liking. You will find that more people take intrest in your ride when it is a harley. I'm not knocking metrics, but once you own a harley, you will see what the hype is about.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:30 PM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 177 Likes on 89 Posts

Harley v others? There are no "others"

Old 03-19-2007, 09:34 PM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

In my opinion, you buy what you like. Price can be a problem, save more or whatever it takes.Deals can be found on new used bikes from private owners, avoid the dealerships.In my opinion, Harleys have a feel and sound of thier own and the chrome/paint and quality are second to none. If you buy the bike you truly like, you will be happy. In not you will always be wantingyour#1 choice. The import crusers are nice bikes, riding brand B is better than not riding. Again, it all comes down to what you like and what you can afford.

2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Left to my own devices, I'd have probably bought a metric when I started back to riding three years ago. But my wife INSISTED on Harleys - yep, one each. So I went along to get along, and we bought both the bikes and the Experience. SHE WAS RIGHT! There's something special about a Harley - everywhere we go, people want to talk to us. They had a Harley, want a Harley, or have friends who have one. People are honored to give you directions! Women swoon, men envy, kids want to adopt you......
We are at a point in our lives where we can afford to ride what we want. There are faster, quicker, lighter and cheaper bikes out there, but nothing that gives me the pleasure of my Road Glide. To each his/her own. I don't look down on those who ride other makes, but the Harley is worth every penny to me.
If the bikes all cost the same, what would you buy? The satisfaction lasts far longer than the payments.

jbnl163
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It can only be understood by riding one. Personally, I would not buy a VRod, it's not a traditional Harley, but they do look fun to ride.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:44 PM
akenaten
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO the Vrod is more competitive with a Yamaha Warrior or V max. Or even the Suzuki Bandit,Triumph Speed Triple,and the like. It's actually closer to Japanese bikes than other Harleys. Not trying to put it down either. I'd love to have a Vrod. But it's a very different bike from the Big Twins(Electra,Softtail etc..)and different from the only TRUE Harley: the Sportster.
Just kidding folks. Don't get into an uproar!

One place where I'll disagree with a lot of people here is that I think the Vrod is every bit as much of a Harley Davidson as any air-cooled bike they make.

Quick Reply: Why a Harley vs others?...honest opinions please...no flaming.