General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why a Harley vs others?...honest opinions please...no flaming.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 01:34 PM
Pacemaker
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Why a Harley vs others?...honest opinions please...no flaming.

I almost bought a Victory bike, it was cheaper.[/align][/align]My wife and son wanted me to buy the Harley RK. My son said,"Dad, buy theHD then you won't have to explain why you bought a Victory."So I went with the RK and I love it, since I bought itin 2001 I have done so many long road trips.[/align][/align]When my son got rid of his sport bike I talk him into a RK, Iexplain sowe can do some road trips together, he bought a 2005 RKC. He loves it, we have done eight road trip to together and theyare best times ever. [/align][/align]His friends were making fun of him after he bought his RKC, saying he has an old man's bike, That's because they all have sport bikes (Crotch rockets.) In their eye's all HD'sare anold man's bikes. [/align][/align]Since we beenridingtogether his friends tell him, they wish their dads was into riding.[/align][/align]In 2006two of his friends bought their Harley's,now his other friends talk about buying Harley's too.[/align][/align]

Old 03-20-2007, 01:56 PM
GADave
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Resale - yes. Soul - yes. Just nice lookin' - yes.

But the reason I ride a harley is the ride. I'm talkin' big twins and have only ever rode a V-Rod once (didn't like the feel, but then I'm into cruisin' not draggin' knees and really don't care about top-end speed). Nothing like the torquey low-end power and smooth, powerful acceleration without bustin' gears all the time.

No metric I've ever been on (and I've been on quite a few)feels and rides like a Harley. Are they good bikes, no doubt. But if you ride like I do nothing else even compares.

My buddy got a brand new Honda something last year(1300cc cruiser). We swapped bikes once and rode about 50-75 miles on each others scoots - he had never ridden a Harley before. He didn't want to swap back and I did. Felt like I was workin' like a dog to keep up when I was on his bike - changing gears all the time - tinny sounding and feeling motor - gotta keep the rpms up - uncomfortable seating position, etc. I never could "relax" on his bike like I can on mine... he said exactly the same thing when he reluctantly crawled off my heritage. Something like... "DAMN! I know why people like Harley's so much now, just kick back and ride"... he now aspires to own a Harley once he can afford it.

Old 03-20-2007, 02:59 PM
MidnightRider
Intermediate

Why ride a Harley? Let me explain. Number 0ne reason is Heritage. American heritage. If you were riding in the sixties and seventies, it didn't matter if it leaked..oops, I mean marked it's spot, It was a Harley. And you were proud of it. In 1984 I worked for American Honda and drove my 70 FLH to work every day. I got bad mouthed by other mechanics every single day. "out dated V twin..engine of the past , etc". Now people who don't know motorcycles can't tell any of them apart. Harley from Hondafrom Kawaski. If you can't beat em'......The Japanese do it right, no question,dependable and good looking. What they strive for and will never have is American heritage. The only other bikes that come close are the now defunctand soon to be revived Indian and the belly up Excelsior Henderson. (Of which I have one). In the teens and twenty's they were the big three. Harley, Indian and Excelisor Henderson. American heritage. I speak for myself only. America Heritage

Dale

Old 03-20-2007, 03:27 PM
NYNickET
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: franciscojose

ORIGINAL: NYNickET

i rode/ride metric for almost 25 years. my 2 boys ride 90cc's now.

picked up my first Harley last November.

can't say why but it's different. just is. i waited too long to get her.
I am in love with your bike man!!! What is that exactly?

2007 Night Train w/ V&H pipes. . . . . i luv er too!

Old 03-20-2007, 03:50 PM
Dinger
Road Master

If it looks like a Harley but it isn't a Harley, you'll be riding a bike that you wish was a Harley.

I've owned many Kawasaki street bikes, Z1s, Z1Rs, KZ1000s the old two stroke tripples. Those were the only Japanese bike to have during the 70's.When the Metric Cruisers got popular, I couldn't stop laughing at the goofy designs and the guys who would buy them as they were a superior machine.

A Metric Cruiser is dependable transportation. I have a car for that purpose.

Old 03-20-2007, 04:56 PM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Riding a Harley really can't be explained to someone who has never riden one. It MUST be exprieced.

Old 03-20-2007, 05:48 PM
dstockton
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For me it probably had to do with my dad riding me around on his Duo Glide back in the early sixties. He was Navy and that was ouronly trasportation at the time. He was stationed at Pearl and later on in CA.Great riding areas. I've had many metric bikes and still have a sport standard Suzuki 1200 Bandit sharing the garage with my Ultra Classic. While all the major brands are good competent motorcycles, they don't really hit the target I'm looking for when I want a relaxed touring ride. I owned one of the first year Gold Wings, and I know they are good bikes, but they no longer resemble a motorcycle to my eyes.

Old 03-20-2007, 06:20 PM
jskelington
Road Captain

I'll race your 1800cc suzuki with my 1584cc Dyna............in 20 years.....DOH!

Old 03-20-2007, 08:04 PM
markdt
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take both out for a test ride and buy what you like. These are 2 very different motorcycles . Can't even compare the two. Like comparing a vette to a hummer. Bought mine because I love the v twins and Harley makes the best. Lots of part available to customise and price was great ..Mark...

Old 03-20-2007, 09:35 PM
05HC
Intermediate

Do yourself a favor and save time and get a harley. You will always want one and your lady will want you to have one. When you are out on the metric and see groups of harley riders and the ladies are all decked out in the h/dthreads, she will notice. I think you will eventually want the more traditional hog instead of the v-rod. Just experience talking here, been there and done that. Good luck on your decision and ride safe!

Quick Reply: Why a Harley vs others?...honest opinions please...no flaming.