General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why a Harley vs others?...honest opinions please...no flaming.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 11:18 AM
kishstl
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Default RE: Why a Harley vs others?...honest opinions please...no flaming.

I always haddirt bikes as a kid, I've had Yamahas, Suzukisand Hondas. In college had a Honda CB360T, couldn't afford anything else. Always had my eye on a Honda CBR600 crotch rocket. Finally broke down and bought one in '94, went riding one afternoon and hooked up with a group of guys on Harleys at a watering hole and took his bike for a spin. Sold my bike 3 monthslater for less than 1/2 price 1.5 years after buying it.Bought a'97 Heritage rode it for 7 years and sold it for about60% of what I paid. (not what I'd added to it). I have never looked back once and wished I had another bike. I used to ride motorcycles, now I'm a biker. BIG DIFFERENCE.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:35 AM
3dynaP
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First buy what makes YOU happy.

That said, I used to have a Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Fi, that is one sweet bike. 26000 happy trouble free miles. I have a 2003 Dyna Defender now. I'm happy with it also.
My experience with the metrics was that if I ever needed a part, it had to be ordered. That becomes frustrating, at least it did to me. Granted, with my Vulcan, needing a part was a rare event.
Harley has a fantastic dealership network. Much better than the metric network. When I have needed parts, they have almost always had it on hand. Not accessories all the time, but repair parts. Some accessories had to be ordered. There is more maintenance on the Harley. (not sure about the V-rod though)
Then there is that engine rebuilding program. You run the **** out of the engine, which takes a while, upwards of 100,000 miles. You can send your engine into Harley and they will rebuild it for you. (for a price of course)
You will hear some bitching about Harley parts and accessories being more expensive. That has not been my experience. They seem to be about equal.
Would I ever go back to another brand? Who knows, I'm not one to say "I'll never go back." Never is a long time. But I do like my Harley.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:36 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had all kinds of rice burn in my life. If they get some years on them were are the parts?

1000 kaw three months for gears. Get from Japan by boat. fast
750 yam rebuild every year. Faster
920 yam fix start monthly electric problems $$$$

This is the short lists. And don't try to get any money out of them they are trash after a couple years. I will stay with harley.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:04 PM
Gerard
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a new 2004 1100 Honda Shadow Spirit for around $7,000 plus added $1,500 in bling. I just sold it 4 weeks ago for $4,000....resale on metrics sucks. They are less expensive to buy new but don't hold their value very long. Funny thing is, I rode that Honda for amost 2 years and was a nice looking and good running bike but never got the compliments or attention that I do on my Heritage. Not that I am looking for attention but it's like having a hot girlfriend, you want people to notice. Let's face it, Harley means motorcycles....the history andthe sound.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:14 PM
bolt_p51
Road Captain

everybody has a little outlaw in them and harley just appeals to that part. and i don't think the company (harley)is responsible for that...............which makes it even more appealing......and then theres all the rest...the looks..sound...performance....quality....etc

Old 03-20-2007, 12:25 PM
NYNickET
Road Captain

i rode/ride metric for almost 25 years. my 2 boys ride 90cc's now.

picked up my first Harley last November.

can't say why but it's different. just is. i waited too long to get her.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:28 PM
Mikeeeeeeeeee
"Moderator & Connoisseur of Ice Cream"
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Easy choice based on just ONE of many things.

Here is one of my favorites.
I ride with metrics. My group is about half HD half metric.
If I break down on the road, one of my harley buddies is probably going to have what I need in his saddlebag to get going again. Or visa versa. Our engines are basically all the same. Frames are the same, yadda yadda a lot of the components are the same.

If one of my metric buddies breaks down, he is sunk. No one in the group of 40 or so rides the same bike.
All are different. Motors, brakes, controls, everything.

Makes it simple to me.

HD uses basically 3 motors.
TC88 or 96
Evolution
Vrod

Look at the lineup on the metrics. You will see 20 motors in one lineup.
Then spread that out over 3-4 manufacturers and you have 60-70 motors and frames.
Pretty much says it all to me.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:29 PM
franciscojose
Novice

ORIGINAL: NYNickET

i rode/ride metric for almost 25 years. my 2 boys ride 90cc's now.

picked up my first Harley last November.

can't say why but it's different. just is. i waited too long to get her.
I am in love with your bike man!!! What is that exactly?

Old 03-20-2007, 01:04 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

The styling, finish, paint, chrome and available accessories/customizations are unparalleled.Quality and reliability is good andin recent years in particular are higher than ever for Harley.Of course the history, "feel" and comraderie are found no-where else. These bikes reach into your soul and touch you and become a part of you more than any other bikedoes. I just love the sound and feel of the bike when on the road, it's just magnificent.

There are faster, more efficient and more powerful bikes, but they don't "touch" you like a H-D...

Old 03-20-2007, 01:18 PM
ChiefGator
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL:

HD uses basically 3 motors.
TC88 or 96
Evolution
Vrod

SHOVELHEADS FOREVER!

Quick Reply: Why a Harley vs others?...honest opinions please...no flaming.