General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why a Harley vs others?...honest opinions please...no flaming.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 08:57 AM
paulca
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why a Harley vs others?...honest opinions please...no flaming.

Sometimes you've got to follow your heart, but take a ride on each first.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:10 AM
ChiefGator
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel badly for Beastly.... I have a 25 year old Shovelhead and have had less issues with it than he has had with his new one... That sucks!

Back to the original thread....

The other day there was a thread that said " If you were to get a Metric, what would it be" read that thread... it is very enlightening. My post in there said the same thing as a few said here.... Nice rides... No soul.....

Old 03-20-2007, 09:18 AM
fordpartsguy
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: HD7585

The HD has character to me, The metrics are just machines to me. Good machines but no soul
to go a little farther with that thought, japanese bikes suffer from the same prblem as their cars and trucks. they are simply appliances. just as cold and lifeless as a microwave, stove, etc. something you just never think (or daydream) about.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:27 AM
wardenwf
Cruiser

Quality and detail. I checked out all of the metric cruisers and none of them had the quality or the attention to detail that Harley maintains. I have tried many times to give Japenese bikes a chance but everytime I get close to one in a show room it just doesn't look right. BMWs, Guzzis, Triumphs and Ducatis all have something special about them. I have ridden the Honda VTX 1800, the Gold Wing 1800 and a Hayabusa. All are good motorcycles and fun to ride but the feel is just not there. It may be that I grew up riding NSUs, BMWs, Triumphs, Nortons and Enfield 850 Inceptors that slants my view towards Japanese motorcycles. A Harley will feel like a motorcycle is supposed to feel.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:16 AM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member

It is personal choice. To me, Harleys have classic styling, a unique and enjoyable engine note, and I like it. Quality is fine, too.

This is no different than asking someone why they bought a Porsche when the 'Vette is faster and less expensive. Personal choice.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:26 AM
IOMC Qball
Tourer

ORIGINAL: 87lowrider

ORIGINAL: Beastly

Have 2 beautiful bikes. My wife's black05 Suzuki cruiser fully dressed andmy black 07 Harley Heritage. The Suzuki has 10,500 miles and praise the Lord - not one problem (knock wood).... Now, the 07 Harley has 350 miles on it, been back to the dealer twice, the factory is involved, can't read my speedometer on a cold day because it fogs up and fills with moisture, might as well take the gas gauge/cap out and throw it away because it does the same thing, but they told me it will be okay if you park it in the sun (which doesn't do much good at 60 mph). The Harley hada map recall. But, it still pings, clatters, rapswhile driving, and doesn't sound like it will start on most occasions. But I am told all of thisis normal.(I have jumper cables in my saggy bags.) Oh, did I tell you the Harley cost 3 times more than the Suzuki. But, the Harleyreally looks pretty as it sits in the garage and waits for its next appointment with the dealer and factory rep. Oh boy, am I having fun? My wife nags..Only the rich can afford poor quality. I hate it when she says that, cuz I'm not rich enough. I'm sure what ever decision you make will be the right one for you. Happy trails or trials? Interested in a slightly used Heritage?
Some words of advice
1:Sell your HD
2:Join a Suzuki forum
LOL....touche'. A Harley is a bike...all other's are motorcycles.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:26 AM
rickshog
Tourer

There really is nothing like a harley.. I used to have a crotch rocket and crashed it. But I dont ever remember dreaming about riding it during the winter! That said.. I have to take something away from h-d in that they have for too long relied on a business fueled by thebrandingof harley. I wish they would get thier crap together and start making bikes that are mechanically the equivlent of the metrics... This can be done.. im sure of it.. I havent had many problems with mine really but when you go into your basement to polish your bike that isnt even a year old and you see corrosion on the cheap chrome cap in the middle of the shock.. it makes you wonder.. Either way I love my bike..

Old 03-20-2007, 10:34 AM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it has two wheels - ride on

Old 03-20-2007, 10:58 AM
Ol Biker
Road Master

Absolutely correct to ask before you buy. I rode rice for over twenty years and always had reliable transportation. Now I own a hog and have not only a ride, but a "brotherhood." The adage "if I have to explain, you won't understand" applies. There are a lot of choiceswhen going to two-wheel and many reasons for the wheels to be on an HD. Your choice - - "What's important to you?"

Old 03-20-2007, 11:02 AM
Hagar the Horrible
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: grunt

It is personal choice. To me, Harleys have classic styling, a unique and enjoyable engine note, and I like it. Quality is fine, too.

This is no different than asking someone why they bought a Porsche when the 'Vette is faster and less expensive. Personal choice.
Like the commercial says "PORSCHE" There is no substitute. it's just something about them.

Harley - Davidson, the real deal baby. All the rest are immitations, trying to capture the look, the sound, the feel, But as stated eariler they just can't capture the soul.

One might mistake a metric for a Harley, but never mistake a Harley for a nother brand. No other brand has the loyalty,prestege, mystique. Heck even the wardrobe,

Like the commercial says. "Harley- Davidson" if I have to explain, you wouldn't understand.it's just something about them

Quick Reply: Why a Harley vs others?...honest opinions please...no flaming.