General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why a Harley vs others?...honest opinions please...no flaming.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 10:29 PM
MSgtJoe
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why a Harley vs others?...honest opinions please...no flaming.

Before I bought my Softail I rode a Suzuki Intruder 1400. The bike was comfortable, ran great, never gave me one problem. So why did I save $$$ for a year to by my Softail? Because I wanted something different, something I could make distinguishable from all the other bikes around. I have to say the ride and handling on my Softail is awesome! Could I have bought another Metric at a lot less $$$...no doubt. But it wasn't all about the money.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:31 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior

To me, a bike by any other name is solely that; a bike. A Harley, on the other hand, is a symbol of freedom, independence, and good ol' fashioned hard workin' Americana. From the moment you straddle the seat, take hold of the handlebars, fire up the v-twin, and give the throttle a roll back or two - you'll know. You'll know that you not only purchased an amazing motorcycle. But, in the same breath, you've aligned yourself with other like-minded individuals whose appreciation for the rich history anddeep tradition of one of 'America's own' is unparalled by any other bike manufacturer in existence. Harley's - to most of us - are a way of life. A symbol of who we are, what we stand for,and what we believe in. And lastly, I don't think I've EVER seen a guy walk around with a Honda, Kawasaki, or Suzuki tattoo? There's a reason for this.......

Old 03-19-2007, 10:33 PM
midwesttom
Cruiser

Wow, we have seen this post before many times. I have owned my first Harley 1Year 2 Months and 15 Days. And every day I'm not riding because of work or bad wheather. I am thinking about ridingthis bike. That is the only way to explain it, If you have owned Metrics and I have I bet you never felt that way. I had a 750 Kawasaki for years and some summers I forgat I had it if it wern't in the way in the garage. And it was a great bike. Like everyone has said it's the sound the feel and the look. Good luck on your choice. Tom

oldbikenut
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are considering the money part of it, consider this.

Think about what that VRod is going to be worth in a few years compared to what that Suzi will be worth.

whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you have to ask you honestly aren't a candidate for a Harley. No flaming intended but if it doesn't reach out to you more than any other bike you'd be foolish to buy one.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:36 PM
EK5858
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because if you go with the metric you will always have doubts. I rode 3 metrics before my first Harley and I always wished I had the Harley. I have had a Sportster 1200 a Roadking, a Deluxe which the wife has now and an Electra Glide. Honestly you will always kick yourself for not getting the Harley. If money is the issue then you may not have a choice, but if you can get the V-rod do it. You will not have regrets with the Harley but you will with the metric

Old 03-19-2007, 10:50 PM
franciscojose
Novice

You all most certainly make some extremely valid points. Money itself is not an issue. I was just curious what made everytone pay more for a HD then a comparable metric. What has been pointed out so extremely is just the sense of belonging to something greater then just a "biker crowd" when you own a HD.

When I rode with my cousin in Chile and all their Harleys they felt the same way as everyone up here does. And I most certainly agree on not really asking questions about a Yamaha or a Honda. Nice bikes yes but still not the same thing.

If it was simply money I would go with the others. But something keeps pulling me back to a HD. Be it a V-Rod or a insanely nice Sportster they had at the dealorship. I spent 3 hours at the local openhouse this past Saturday. I will admit there was just a sense of commrodary in there. seeing all the MIA / POW stickers and veteran tags...kinda gave me a sense that riding to these guys isn't just about the bike. it really is like belonging to something greater then yourself. Maybe that's what keeps drawing me back to a HD. but what do I know, i'm just a 27 year old kid...lol

Old 03-19-2007, 10:54 PM
Beastly
Stage I

Have 2 beautiful bikes. My wife's black05 Suzuki cruiser fully dressed andmy black 07 Harley Heritage. The Suzuki has 10,500 miles and praise the Lord - not one problem (knock wood).... Now, the 07 Harley has 350 miles on it, been back to the dealer twice, the factory is involved, can't read my speedometer on a cold day because it fogs up and fills with moisture, might as well take the gas gauge/cap out and throw it away because it does the same thing, but they told me it will be okay if you park it in the sun (which doesn't do much good at 60 mph). The Harley hada map recall. But, it still pings, clatters, rapswhile driving, and doesn't sound like it will start on most occasions. But I am told all of thisis normal.(I have jumper cables in my saggy bags.) Oh, did I tell you the Harley cost 3 times more than the Suzuki. But, the Harleyreally looks pretty as it sits in the garage and waits for its next appointment with the dealer and factory rep. Oh boy, am I having fun? My wife nags..Only the rich can afford poor quality. I hate it when she says that, cuz I'm not rich enough. I'm sure what ever decision you make will be the right one for you. Happy trails or trials? Interested in a slightly used Heritage?

Old 03-19-2007, 11:02 PM
franciscojose
Novice

lol...nice little plug at the end there...lolol

Old 03-19-2007, 11:12 PM
JohnT
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As many have said, there is HarleyWorld, and then there is everything else. That said, I think H-D stumbled onto shaky ground with the '07 96". There are way too many complaints, like Beastly's above, about heat, performance, noise, etc. The only excuses like "they all do that" and "just do a Stage-whatever" are not working as they used to. It's why I'm waiting for the '08 announcements before buying a new bike. I'm hoping for a V-Rod-based touring bike.

Quick Reply: Why a Harley vs others?...honest opinions please...no flaming.