General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why a Harley vs others?...honest opinions please...no flaming.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 09:52 PM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Why a Harley vs others?...honest opinions please...no flaming.

or one of each

Old 03-19-2007, 09:55 PM
dastark
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tripper shared my exact sentiments. Since a young boy. I wouldn't compromise. It took me 42 yrs. but alas a little Sporty. I now am the proud owner of an S.E. Fatboy. I'm glad I waited.

cjackson
Cruiser

I have been riding for over 40 years. During that time I have owned several different brands and some very good bikes. I currently own 4 different bikes. I really like my two Harley's but my favorite bike is my 1959 R69 BMW. To be honest it is not even a fair comparison.
Thru the years I have had two different brands of newer bikes sitting side by side in the garage. I always ended up putting more miles on the Harley's. In many cases the other bike was superior from a Quality and performance standpoint. Harley's are just plain fun to ride.
Rational comparisons don't work. On paper you will pick the other bike everytime. However once you own a Harley, they get in your blood and take over your soul. You will only understand what I am talking about when you own one. Yes, there are alot of great machines being built today. When you own a Harley or a 1959 BMW you are always looking forward to your next ride. Good luck !
CJ

jkoch09ultra
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many here, probably most, have owned metrics. Everything written here are true. You can not beat the history, sound, feel and lifestyle. Also take into consideratioin resale. Sold my Honda VT1100 Shadow. Price went in half. Not the same for the Harley. I love my Harley and wish I had bought one 20 years ago. Had my Ultra for 16 months and have 20,000 miles on it. Love riding this machine. I get comments and questions from people all the time. Never had that kind of admiration from people looking at my Honda's. This is the one for me.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:08 PM
Mac57
Road Warrior

I chose Harley not only because I have always wanted one, but because I just love the traditional style and the unique sound. I have owned plenty of Japaneese bikes and enjoyed them all but my Harley is hands down the most pleasing bike I have ever owned. The Honda Goldwing is arguably the best touring bike in the world, but I simply hate the way they look. Reminds me of a snowmobile. I think a motorcycle starts with the engine, and then everything else is built around it. Mechanically, a Harley is a work of art. Beautifull to look at and elegant in its functional simplicity. Brute tractor pull power. Not screaming seat-of-your pants top end like a big sport bike. A new FLHTC looks very much like theDuo Glide of the late 50's sans the Panhead engine. The lines are classic. Like a Triumph Bonneville from the 60's. This to me, is what defines the style and soul of a motorcycle.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:10 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The HD has character to me, The mectrics are just machines to me. Good machines but no soul

Old 03-19-2007, 10:18 PM
IRready
Road Master

Simple:
HD = American legend / support american jobs and workers / Very little plastic / investment

Honda = No history /Support the japcorporation / nearly all plastic ( fenders ect...) / throwaway

If you are considering anything but a HD then buy it. IMO if you truly want a HD there would be no questions about it.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:21 PM
fatboylust
Road Captain

The Harley vs the rest: Well for me itis like supporting our troops, so if I am going to ride I am going to ride American. I am glad to see any American manufacture succeed. When our troop come home I want them all to find many opportunities for employment. Yes I know some other non-American makes are assembled in the US but their profits still go home so it is not quite good enough. My father is still alive and a totally disable WWII (Pacific) veteran; I wouldn't dishonor his service by riding/driving vehicles from those who tried so hard to kill him. I am a Vietnam veteran and my son is a veteran of the latest gulf war; if we are to continue to police the world every aspect of our economy deserved our support (IMO). I like Harley's for the tradition and the tenacious ability to survive. I also admire their new designs and look forward to their watercooled (v-rod powered) touring bikes, which must be coming. For those who live in other countries without a motorcycle/auto industry the choices must be easier with no national pride on the line.

Now understand what anyone else choses to do is there business and it is not for me to judge.

FBL

Old 03-19-2007, 10:22 PM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: HD7585

The HD has character to me, The mectrics are just machines to me. Good machines but no soul
I think that pretty much sums it up for me.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:29 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

b model vrods are the coolest v-rods you can do the most with them and the quit making them. that would be my choice as long as your not paying more than 13000 unless it is still new.

Quick Reply: Why a Harley vs others?...honest opinions please...no flaming.