General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why a Harley vs others?...honest opinions please...no flaming.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 12:00 AM
Sam
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Why a Harley vs others?...honest opinions please...no flaming.

Why a Harley? For the most important reason of all...........I work at a dealership and got it at cost

.........okay, this is number 5 from Harley, so I would have bought one anyway

Old 03-21-2007, 01:12 AM
Slash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 50 Posts

ORIGINAL: franciscojose

Ok, soI am very much in love with Harley. Local dealorship has a nice '04 Orange / Black V-Rod for sale. It's not that it is "overly expensive", but I decided to check out other makes (girlfriend made me...lol). For example Suzuki has a C90T. This is a totally decked out 1500cc touring bike. Cost is out the door without dealing, $11,400. They have a "V-Rod" equivalent 1800cc bike for $12,300 without dealing.

Don't get me wrong, I am not going to just go buy another make just because it's cheaper. But truth be told it is something I have to consider before investing this kind of money into a bike. What made you all decide to get a harley instead of another make which quite frankly gives you "more bang for the buck" ? I am not looking for a harley bs. the world debate, but honest and good opinions please.
Always wanted a HD,seemed like the real deal to me..a bike I could hang on to for years that would only get cooler with age.I couldn't see anything interesting about having and hanging ontoa Japanese bike.Seems it's just likecomparing a disposable cigarette lighter to a Zippo...they'll both get the job done,the disposable's cheaper but....

Old 03-21-2007, 09:51 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Always the hardest question to answer.First off,just plain wanted a Harley since I was a kid.Went through a phase of wanting and trying outsomething else after owning many Harleys.Honestly,None of them gave what I already had,the LOOK,FEEL,and SOUND,that only a Harley Davidson motorcycle makes.Good Luck!and do understand.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:59 AM
GOSTAZ
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best analogy I can come up with is kind of a weird one, but if you think about it, it works. Keep in mind that I am 40 years old, and rode my first electraglide for about 10 minutes when I was 19. Fell in love with the bikes, and wanted one for 20 years. Finally bought one, almost divorced it, then found some help getting it to run right. Spent a lot of money and stressed myself out, but I am ok now.... I have it sorta bad for my rig named Mona.

I smoke. I usually have a Bic lighter in my pocket. Great lighters. Last pretty good, not too expensive, work well, but not really anything other than a lighter. Sometimes, I have a Zippo in my pocket. Probably have 20 of em. American made, feel really nice in your hand, last FOREVER, and every one of them that I have has a little story that goes with it. Their shape is classic, they are made of METAL, and the design has been around for a long time. My granddad had one. Do they make sense economically? Prolly not. But are they a tie to a simpler time, American made, tough as nails, and too cool for grade school? HELL YES! That what it is with Harley. They are a brand new version of a classic..

I ride some Jap bikes, german bikes, italian bikes, even scooters. Nothing makes me quite as happy as the buckety buckety of a Harley scoot running down the road. Does not have to make sense to anyone else, but it is crystal clear to me. Buy whatever you feel like you want. That is the joy of riding a bike, you do not have fit the cookie cutter. Don't worry about what everyone else is buying, who the hell cares. Don't buy it to show it off, buy it to ride it.

PS... My profound apologies to the BIC corporation. I feel your products are an excellent value, and am in no way trying to defame them.... Please don't sue me...