General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: do you enjoy group rides
no hate them
28.46%
yes love them
11.38%
like rides of less than 5 people
47.97%
like rides of less than 10 people
12.20%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

group rides

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 05:59 PM
cldiver
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default group rides

I'm wondering how many people like group rides. I hate them and would never willingly go on one.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:15 PM
evil-1
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't mind group rides, I do alot of charity rides to help out when I can. If I'm in a group that I'm not familiar with the riders I tend to stay in the back. Better safe that sorry.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:18 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 761 Posts

Depends, When I lived in NorCal, bunch of us rode to Yosemite for a camp out and party. Bunch of us rode to the Redwood Run in 1981, looking back I did lots of group rides but these were with good friends, we rode and party together. Last year my wife and I went on a group ride put on by Loves Leathers, This was with a bunch of people we did not know and alot different from what were used to doing. I dont care for that type of group ride, wont do another. Been on a coupe Toy Runs, They are ok, will do more of those.

Last edited by sixguns; 02-02-2014 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:25 PM
Rustell
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

2 is company.... 3 or more is trouble waiting to happen.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:26 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,173 Likes on 12,043 Posts

For many years, I did dozens of group rides as a motor. Not bad since we had similar abilities, bikes and missions. Group rides were primarily for training and funerals. We did formation rides at 75 mph just inches apart.
Now as a retired motor, I prefer going on rides alone. I stop when I want, go where I want and ride like I want. Kind of selfish I suppose.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:34 PM
HDriderDave1
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't really like large number of riders, but I do like groups of less than 10. It seems to be safer with more than 2 giving the 4 wheel guys might see you. Over the years I have had several cars almost take me out when riding by myself.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:41 PM
oldwarrior
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Used to be into group rides, kinda neat looking in the rear view mirror and seeing a steal snake in your mirror as you ride along.
Now the down side and why I ride alone, well anything more than two is too many for me anymore.
The wait for everyone to show up because no matter how many times you tell someone the time you are leaving there is always someone who makes you wait, even if you set a cut off time for no shows.
Break downs and lagers that get separated from the group can turn a pleasant ride into a pain in the butt, I always refused to leave anyone by the side of the road.
There's always someone 10 or 15 min into the ride that needs fuel, that is a pain, knowing damn good and well before the ride they needed fuel.
We always stuck the least experienced in the group riding in the rear of the pack and tried to pair them with an experienced rider.
The hot rider that refuses to stay with the pack gunning the throttle and surging his bike up to the rear of the rider in front, it goes on, that is why I don't ride in a group any longer.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:49 PM
gerjets
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would rather ride by myself...but I do ride in charity rides a couple times a year...just have to be extra alert riding with those you aren't familiar with (i.e., new riders or riders with bad habits).

Old 02-02-2014, 06:51 PM
MiniWolf
Received 4,844 Likes on 2,297 Posts

I don't care for group rides because there seems to be more time put into scheduling, deciding where to go, waiting for everyone to form, etc than riding itself. Then when the ride starts, someone has to pee or something and everyone stops.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:56 PM
Freebirdsride1
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I us to ride with a bunch of guys that now how to stay on there line in the road it was like we were one together. But if I haven't seen how a new person rides I'll take the lead to stay out of there way. My Wife's tween Brother we make him ride in the rear he's alway f--king with his stereo, he's all over the road his line is the curb to white line. He is the kind of rider that I'll tel him were we'll meet up at. It safer for the both of us I don't loss my cook that way. As for club rides I have been ran into from the rear and clipped by so called good riders, so no thanks I usually have my Wife as a riding partner.

Quick Reply: group rides