General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lucky I saw this coming

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 07:11 PM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 177 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Lucky I saw this coming

I was riding in the left side of the lane and approaching an intersection when I bareley noticed a car tailgaiting the car approaching me. He was so close he had no sight of mecoming up onthe intersection. I just had time to switch to the right side of the lane to give him a view of me as I hit the brakes. He started to turn just as I made my manuever. He saw me just in time and stopped his turn. I'm always trying toswitch lane positions to stay visible. Glad I was alert enough to avoid this one.

Ride Safe!

Old 03-19-2007, 07:16 PM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Lucky I saw this coming

Something you need to look for at each intersection since your safety depends on it. I do believe is the responsibility of each driver but plain and simple a bike deals with a cage and the bike will lose every time.

Old 03-19-2007, 07:17 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I ALWAYS drive defensively, assuming that the idiots in the other lane are getting ready to do the unexpectedly STUPID thing.

Did ya have the sense of mind to flip him off as you went by?

Old 03-19-2007, 07:32 PM
chopperz71
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea, what New2Harley said. Did ya scream profanities at him? That could save the next bikers life ya know. Cause him to think twice next time.

Old 03-19-2007, 07:35 PM
fatboy44
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got cut-off myself today, about an hour ago. I showed my displeasure!

Old 03-19-2007, 07:44 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Last fall, I am headin home, and along the route, there is an uphill, right hand sweeper, with woods on the right. The result is, if there is a string of on coming cars, you can only see the 1st 4 or 5. It is also a no passing zone.

The lead vehicle coming at me was a tractor, and there were 4 + cars behind it. I just had that "feeling", and started to slow. Sure as hell, some teenage girl pops into view, in MY lane.

On seeing me, she brakes, and veers to her left, sliding on to the gravele shoulder. I stop next to her passenger door, and start screaming obscenities at her, about how stupid she must be, she coulda killed me, yada yada yada.

It was after about my 12th F-Bomb, that I suddenly realized that I was still in Uniform (D'Oh).

Old 03-19-2007, 07:48 PM
easyglider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

sometimes visibly is better than loud.

Old 03-19-2007, 07:49 PM
chopperz71
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

DOUBLE WAMMY! Way to go! Getting flamed by a cop on a motorcycle. You made the roads a little safer for us all. I'll bet she shudders every time she sees a motorcycle. Probably thinks we're all cops.

Old 03-19-2007, 07:51 PM
guitarman777
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: New2Harley

Last fall, I am headin home, and along the route, there is an uphill, right hand sweeper, with woods on the right. The result is, if there is a string of on coming cars, you can only see the 1st 4 or 5. It is also a no passing zone.

The lead vehicle coming at me was a tractor, and there were 4 + cars behind it. I just had that "feeling", and started to slow. Sure as hell, some teenage girl pops into view, in MY lane.

On seeing me, she brakes, and veers to her left, sliding on to the gravele shoulder. I stop next to her passenger door, and start screaming obscenities at her, about how stupid she must be, she coulda killed me, yada yada yada.

It was after about my 12th F-Bomb, that I suddenly realized that I was still in Uniform (D'Oh).

Dude, that's just awesome.

Better for her to hear it from a cop on a bike rather than "just another biker." Am I right? I'm sure she was a lot more freaked out and urged to be repentant of her poor driving ways because of that.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:42 PM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good heads up riding dude Yep you may have the right of way, but you will get the ambulance ride not the cager[&:]

Quick Reply: Lucky I saw this coming