General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting a "Bike Night"

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014 | 04:53 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Cool

Originally Posted by Tony P
Good point. In my exuberance, I failed to mention any legal ramifications.
Remember no good deed goes unpunished.
Good luck with the hootenanny!

Old 02-11-2014 | 10:45 AM
Mcdave
|
Tourer

Thanks for all the GREAT responses!
We live in a pretty small town, so I can't see more than 20-30 riders attending.
The legal aspects are something to be considered since a lot of people are looking to shift responsibility and blame these days, it's a shame you can't do something nice and fun without the worry of getting sued.
I'm going to have to think hard about the reality of this, and weight the risk/payoff.
We don't have a HD dealer within 200miles but there is a local Metric bike/ATV/boat shop so I think I'll bounce it off him.
Maybe the best plan would be to organize a ride to start at bike shop and END near tavern and people could do what they want from there.
Thanks for the responses and any other suggestions are welcomed.

Old 02-11-2014 | 11:03 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned

Originally Posted by Mcdave
Thanks for all the GREAT responses!
We live in a pretty small town, so I can't see more than 20-30 riders attending.
The legal aspects are something to be considered since a lot of people are looking to shift responsibility and blame these days, it's a shame you can't do something nice and fun without the worry of getting sued.
I'm going to have to think hard about the reality of this, and weight the risk/payoff.
We don't have a HD dealer within 200miles but there is a local Metric bike/ATV/boat shop so I think I'll bounce it off him.
Maybe the best plan would be to organize a ride to start at bike shop and END near tavern and people could do what they want from there.
Thanks for the responses and any other suggestions are welcomed.
I host a internet radio show called the 2 Wheel Meltdown Wednesday nights at 6:00 pm est. on http://www.internetradioamerica.com/ when you have the details worked out let me know and I will get you on the show to help promote it.

Old 02-11-2014 | 11:31 AM
Mcdave
|
Tourer

Thanks Mark,
I'm gonna check ya out!

Old 02-11-2014 | 11:39 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Default This is important

This is also state to state..

We had an issue with our Hot Rod night... Someone got stupid, some damage was done, some one got hurt. The organizer was held personably liable even though he didnt pour a drink.. he just arranged it...

Dumb huh...

Our new rule is the bar does it all, we give them the names... We just reached out to the clubs and lots showed up..

Old 02-11-2014 | 06:21 PM
Mcdave
|
Tourer

Thanks Uncle,
I don't want to be held liable, and the tavern has shown interest so maybe that is the way to go. I wouldn't want them to be held liable either, so I will mention all these issues with them.
Sounded like a good idea at first, now just scary/expensive. But thanks for all the heads-up.

Old 02-11-2014 | 06:47 PM
_Daswine_
Road Master

50/50 raffles are always cool. Once your event is established contact local vendors for donations and make sure when you have the raffle you state where the products came from...

Old 02-11-2014 | 06:55 PM
Crex39
Road Master

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
I would do a city council meeting and see how they and the local PD feel about it before you invest much time & effort , those 2 can **** on your good time parade real quick with nasty repercussions .
I agree, in today's police state, the right to peaceful assembly is a privelege, not a right. It may not be worth the hassle. I might just find a bar that is motorcycle friendly and get the word out and start hanging there. There is nothing better in a free country than putting your hat in hand and begging for the right of association to a council or police Dept. 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not a blueprint.

Old 02-11-2014 | 08:00 PM
Mcdave
|
Tourer

@ Crex39,
100% Agree!