General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting a "Bike Night"

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014 | 10:38 AM
Jack Sullivan
Outstanding HDF Member

I love Montana. The riding must be great. We have one in my town on Wednesday night from 5 o'clock on it picks up and usually runs to about 9 o'clock. It's a little place called Star Drive-in with burgers, dogs, fries, fried clams, shakes, ice cream etcetera. It has a big parking lot and it's right off two highways with lots of access from nice secondary roads. No beer, wine or booze but some bring there own but nobodies there to get drunk. I think you just need a place and the rest takes care of itself through word of mouth and social media. The owners love the business. Who wouldn't?

Most HD shops usually run a club.

Old 02-10-2014 | 10:52 AM
DeeRides
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by oct1949
Don't just get stuck on that it had to be at a bar, lot of people don't drink and ride..

Our town's local Hot Rod club meets at our Frisch's Big-Boy every Tues night and has for yrs.
I'm no prude but it would avoid alot of potential problems.

I also second the Drive Inn/Family location. Folks can have a great burger, good music and fun times without the alcohol.

Last edited by DeeRides; 02-10-2014 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-10-2014 | 10:59 AM
Mr Bentwrench
Road Captain

Our favorite bike night is the 'euro' bike night every Wed. EVERYTHING is there; a swarm of mopeds, vintage and modern Triumphs & BSAs, a ton of old Hondas from an original 150 Dream through all the cafe' conversions, Moto Guzzi, Urals and one with a machine gun. Then there are a few loud, chrome Harleys that roll in. We just find this meet real interesting and fun.

On the same night, a real big fish and seafood restaurant on the Ohio river host their weekly bike night. THey shut down half of their lot and park 500+ bikes with 99% being Harleys. It's a show really with everything from wild to completely outrageous. Leather is the required dress code for you and your old lady. There is cheap can beer sold from tubs by cuties. Always a really good band on the riverfront. Overall, it's a great place for dentist & attorneys to dress up and put another 19 miles on their bagger.

I guess my point is to figure out what you really want your bike night to be. I strongly suggest that you promote it to ALL bikes.

Last edited by Mr Bentwrench; 02-10-2014 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-10-2014 | 11:22 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

A lot of good suggestions here, (except the bounce house thing). Most places are slow early in the week, ask if they're interested. Then like some suggested earlier contact the local authorities. Good luck.

Old 02-10-2014 | 11:40 AM
Jack Sullivan
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by RANGER73
A lot of good suggestions here, (except the bounce house thing). Most places are slow early in the week, ask if they're interested. Then like some suggested earlier contact the local authorities. Good luck.
I throw a big 4th bash every year and don't do a bounce house anymore. Lots of bumps and bruises including a broken arm and ankle.

Old 02-10-2014 | 12:08 PM
ConfuciusSay
Banned

We started a bike night in partnership with a local hot dog joint. They offered a 10% discount for all bikers. Didn't matter what brand. Was a ggod time to meet different people and talk about riding. The hot dog joint picked up alot of business. We set it up for Monday nights as there is not alot going on then. ran it from 6-9. Had a big lot with room for plenty of bike. Music piped outside from restaurant was enough for entertainment. We couldn't set up vendors unless they had a permit to sell. We didn't want to get crazy with it. Worked out well and we will be repeating it again this year.

Old 02-10-2014 | 12:52 PM
Glockmeister
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
I would do a city council meeting and see how they and the local PD feel about it before you invest much time & effort , those 2 can **** on your good time parade real quick with nasty repercussions .
Good point.

When you do get around to picking a tavern, picking one with some kind of food service might be a good idea. I've never been to a bike night so I don't know what you might do other than drink and eat, but my town does dart terminates and the like (no bikes involved). All the bars host on different nights and they rotate to keep things interesting. The competition gets pretty aggressive and everyone seems to have a good time.

Good luck, hope it works out for ya.

Old 02-10-2014 | 02:06 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member

Thursday evening (or Sunday afternoon). Cheap booze and food. Music (DJ okay, live band better). Decent size parking lot. Outdoor deck (people like to drink, smoke and see their bike and all the other bikes rolling in). The best bike nights are the ones where the women feel safe and can let their hair down without being harassed. The more women that attend the more successful the bike night. Also, market the s**t out of it! Social media is cheap and easy. Find a sponsor or two. Go big, or go home.

Old 02-10-2014 | 02:12 PM
howitzer88
Outstanding HDF Member

Be careful when publicly advertising and organizing these type of events, especially when alcohol is involved. If someone gets hurt for whatever reason at your event, you WILL get sued, regardless if you make everyone attending sign a wavier. Consult an attorney that knows the liability statues in your state and locality.

Old 02-10-2014 | 02:31 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by howitzer88
Be careful when publicly advertising and organizing these type of events, especially when alcohol is involved. If someone gets hurt for whatever reason at your event, you WILL get sued, regardless if you make everyone attending sign a wavier. Consult an attorney that knows the liability statues in your state and locality.
Good point. In my exuberance, I failed to mention any legal ramifications.

Quick Reply: Starting a "Bike Night"