General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selling stock mufflers worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 12:04 PM
gobucks
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling stock mufflers worth it?

We will be putting the house on the market this spring and time to clean out the garage and get rid of stuff. Went through the classified section and didn't see much to answer my questions. Is there much of a market for stock mufflers and full exhaust? By the time you pay for shipping not sure it's worth the headache. I have full exhaust from a 95 fatboy, factory mufflers from 2007 ultra, and full exhaust including the header from 2010 ultr limited. Any ideas how to get rid of this stuff? More interested in reducing stuff to move than making money! I live in columbus for anyone close by who might be interested.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:10 PM
BlackSoul
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try selling them locally on craigslist. That is how I have sold a few of my stock items.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:17 PM
wwiiavfan
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,154 Likes on 505 Posts

I'd say go for it. Even if you don't make much (or anything) on them, you'll be helping out guys like me, who don't have the coin to drop on new stuff.
I like to buy used stuff and modify to my liking.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:22 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

American Custom Exhaust, a sponsor here, rebaffles stock mufflers. They have a subsidiary company that will buy them, some one on forum knows name of company, or call 'em

Old 01-30-2014, 02:23 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Any stock exhaust systems I have sold, all I have gotten out of them is the shipping costs just to get rid of them. In other words...I had to give them away.
Probably worth more at a scrap metal yard.
Good luck.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:46 PM
heavyd1
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't know if any would fit my 07 FXDL (Low Rider) or not but I have been thinking about going back to start and putting on some slip on's, I got it with V and H's on it but they are a bit loud for me. I'm in Lexington, Ky. and go to Dayton once a month for reserves. I might take some if any of the guys here can tell me if they would fit mine. Any ideas folks?

Old 01-30-2014, 02:50 PM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member
Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

craigslist

Old 01-30-2014, 02:51 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,859 Likes on 1,289 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharkman73
Any stock exhaust systems I have sold, all I have gotten out of them is the shipping costs just to get rid of them. In other words...I had to give them away.
Probably worth more at a scrap metal yard.
Good luck.
I keep dragging my pipes off my 96 Fatboy to the swap meet and dragging them home. I had $30 on them a couple weeks ago and nobody cared. I was putting them back up in the top of my garage and knocked a drywall trowel of a hook and it landed on my fender and scratched the paint. Not only am I unable to sell them now they are costing me money. My advise, give them to a homeless guy and say "here sell these" and then run.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:56 PM
Bopple Hill Rd
Road Warrior
Received 393 Likes on 260 Posts

You definitely won't recoup much from a situation where you have to ship. Craigs List is one way to go or here in So Cal, there is a motorcycle swap meet in Long Beach once a month and I've sold most of my take-offs there - you might look in to see if there is something like that in your area. It's still dimes on the dollar but to your point it gets it out of your hair and puts a little scratch in your pocket. Good karma too in helping out our fellow riders who may not be able to afford it at the moment as well so it's a win-win. good luck.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:59 PM
elecwiz1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tried several time to sell my stock 13 Street Glide pipes. Full set, header and exhaust, that never even left the show room floor. No takers. Good luck trying to move yours. Mine are gathering dust in a box in my garage. I'm starting to think stock HD take offs should just go to the scrap metal bin.

Quick Reply: Selling stock mufflers worth it?