General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wife's Butt is Sore

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 09:13 AM
Oleman
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wife's Butt is Sore

Had the same problem, havehad two HDseats both uncomfortableand went to Corbin Dual Tourerand best money that I spent

Old 03-22-2007, 10:14 AM
Nortonics
Cruiser

Adjust your air shocks properly and you may find the ride a lot more comfortable.

Properly probably means buying the actual Harley gauge made just for the purpose:

It's absolutely astounding how much the ride can be improved by doing so. Too low a pressure and you're gonna' take a butt hit on every bump, too high and it's just about as bad. Learn the exact pressure for just yourself and 2-up - they are definitely different.

After playing around with mine we found the perfect PSI for both instances, and it made a HUGE difference in comfort for both of us, but especially for her- kid you not. A mere two lb's of pressure difference makes a definite noticeable difference in comfort.

Personally we both very much like stock seat on the RKC and plan to leave it alone - doesn't even have a back rest and the wife still likes it. Even asked her if she wanted me to throw some cash into the expensive, removable back rest and she said "naw, bike would look too goofy that way and really wouldn't matter to me".

Seriously, check into the air shock pressure before you make too rash a decision on whether the seat is worthy or not.

P.S. - As I recall, pressure for both of us (I'm about 170 and she's about 120) was in the area of 2 to 7 PSI, or very low on the possible scale of max PSI allowable. The way we adjusted was to first drain all air out for zero PSI and I tried it by myself. Seemed okay, until hitting bumps - bottomed out. Went up in about 2 lb. increments until smoothed out, which as I recall was no more than 5 lbs. Added just a couple more for her as well and it was perfect. I recall that anything close to or over 10 lbs. made our ride much too stiff. At that perfect point the bike simply glides over bumps with a nice smooth, non jarringleveling off...

Old 03-22-2007, 10:19 AM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Nortonics

Adjust your air shocks properly and you may find the ride a lot more comfortable.

Properly probably means buying the actual Harley gauge made just for the purpose:

It's absolutely astounding how much the ride can be improved by doing so. Too low a pressure and you're gonna' take a butt hit on every bump, too high and it's just about as bad. Learn the exact pressure for just yourself and 2-up - they are definitely different.

After playing around with mine we found the perfect PSI for both instances, and it made a HUGE difference in comfort for both of us, but especially for her- kid you not. A mere two lb's of pressure difference makes a definite noticeable difference in comfort.

Personally we both very much like stock seat on the RKC and plan to leave it alone - doesn't even have a back rest and the wife still likes it. Even asked her if she wanted me to throw some cash into the expensive, removable back rest and she said "naw, bike would look too goofy that way and really wouldn't matter to me".

Seriously, check into the air shock pressure before you make too rash a decision on whether the seat is worthy or not.
I've got the HD air pump, but last night was the first time that I've used it. The shocks had 10psi in them and I raisedthem to to 18 psi. What are you running in yours (solo and two-up)?

Old 03-22-2007, 10:35 AM
Nortonics
Cruiser

As I recall ours was at around 10 PSI new also, which was way too hard for us - 18 PSI is going to be pretty darn stiff! I recall the bike manual gives some ideas where to set the pressure depending on weight difference, but don't go by that exclusively.

I say try what I added to my post above - go real low to begin with, that way you;ll be able to find that sweet spot in the middle after you feel the difference from both directions - too low to too high.

Another P.S. - I just went out and grabbed the manual to verify something. On my FLHRS the rage of PSI on those shocks is listed as 0 to 50 PSI. I remember trying Harley's suggestions as written in the manual and they were way too stiff! I think we tried around 18 too and it was way, way too stiff. It was then that I just dropped it to zero and started inching up from thereto figure it out myself. It astounded me that the best feel for both of us was way down at the lower end of the PSI range.

Old 03-23-2007, 03:36 AM
mariner227
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my seat modified by meancitycycles. The cost was under 100$ shipping included. Very good results.

Old 03-23-2007, 02:27 PM
RageAndMachine
Road Master

and my ***** hurts.