General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Never Again!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 10:32 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Never Again!

(Venting after an aggravating problem with a local service repair garage owner.)

The owner, Bob, I believe is his name, seemed to be just a gruff old guy who always came across very strange for a businessman, and a man my age. His comments to me over the summer were always on the curt side. His manner of handling me as a potential customer always included multiple lectures about he knows it all but doesn't want to share any info, and he acted as though anyone with a question was a rube.

His manner of handling my inquiries had always been very condescending. I tried to accept his awful manners every time I showed up at his store to consider having service done on my '86 Tour Glide.

I bought products from him over the summer and told him my intention was to have a top end overhaul on my motor over the winter. I went into his store last week with my well thought out, concise service questions so we could address specifically what it was that needed repair and how it would be approached.

His reaction was to tell me he felt like I was interviewing him. I told him before I leave my pride and joy with him we are going to be on the same page and will have discussed all aspects of his service. Boy did that ever **** him off toward me.

He told me most of his customers just drop their bike off and tell him what is wrong, trusting him to do just what's needed to fix a problem. I'm guessing no one ever questioned what he is going to do to their ride like I did. We were not talking about simply fixing a flat tire here, we're talking about an engine overhaul and additional repairs on a vintage Harley.

Well, I wasn't in the mood for him treating me so poorly again, and when his rude, pointed comments continued to be personal attacks I finally told him he's being a jackass to me, and he has been one to me every time I stopped in to do business. I can't see his shop staying in business with an owner having this awful attitude toward a potential customer.

I also told him he'd ticked off the wrong guy this time because I will forever remember his lousy aggressive behavior and his poor customer attitude issues by informing people I know to steer clear of him.

A potential customer has a right to know specifically what a shop is going to do to repair their bike. And I believe a customer has the right to address each and every step involved in that repair. What a waste of my time and effort it has been to attempt to do business with this guy. His lack of manners showed me he was not a business man concerned about a potential customer. He showed me more than once his derogatory attitude toward me, a potential service costumer. I was thinking he shouldn't have opened his doors to the public if he didn't want to have a conversation about how his shop would take care of matters.

He told me his experience was being a mechanic at a Harley dealership. I thought he run a clean and professional looking repair shop. He had even showed me the work area when I visited the second time.

I now know I'm better off not using his service.

Has anything like this ever happened to you?

Last edited by JohnnyC; 01-25-2014 at 10:26 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-24-2014, 10:47 AM
Big_Al47
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 93 Likes on 40 Posts

In before "do the work yourself" posts.... sucks man

Old 01-24-2014, 10:51 AM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member
Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

Guy sounds like a dick. Probably doesn't know as much as he claims. If I was going to have anyone do a teardown/overhaul besides one of my brothers, we would have a talk about what I wanted.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:00 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,859 Likes on 1,289 Posts

I live about 20 minutes from Flint and never even realized that shop was there and I have never heard anybody talk about it. I guess there's a reason for that.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:02 AM
fissco1234
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll take customer service over price everytime

Old 01-24-2014, 11:07 AM
ringofld
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about those "rights" you are referring to.

It is just a bidness transaction.

That guy don't want your business.

I would not let him touch my stuff.
I would not transfer any money his direction.
I would not see the guy again. Unless he was laying in a ditch or something!

Old 01-24-2014, 11:29 AM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

So if the guy treated you like crap from summer and all the times you went there, why would you even consider him for major work? I would have just found someone else. You sort of set yourself up for how this ended. Simply, screw him, go somewhere else. Nothing to get mad about

Old 01-24-2014, 12:00 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts
Default The Devils Advocate

Hang on a minute here! Let's take a reasonable look at what transpired for you to come to this conclusion. As per your previous experiences with "Bob", you were more than adequately informed of his gruff, terse, lecturing, condescending and rude demeanor. I would imagine that he either has a well deserved reputation for being a top notch wrench who has a loyal following with a vast customer base who would follow him to the ends of the earth, or is a dick!

In either case, it appears that you voluntarily went back several times to be continually abused. I'm sort of wondering if anyone else here has had ANY type of experience with this shop. Just wondering.

I agree with your conclusion to not have your bike worked on at that shop. Picking a good mechanic for ANY mechanical repairs (bike or auto) is a hard thing to do. WORD OF MOUTH is still the strongest basis to judge how you will be treated and how the repair will go. Perhaps someone here will read thru this post and have a suggestion for you for a local shop that can meet your needs.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 01-24-2014 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:01 PM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

jeffreydsilver,

I respect your "other side of the coin" analogy. Seriously. I kept trying to attempt to befriend him and show him respect. I am sure we all have run into some hard headed people we've tried to deal with. There comes a point where each of us decide what will and won't work out. He was always "pissy" about me talking to him about issues on my bike, like all I needed him for was to "pump him for information" so when I went in ready to do business he had the option of dealing with me or raging at me. I really didn't think he'd go off like he did. I knew that my misjudgement in this matter would become part of the discusion.

Markymann,

You are right. I know that now. I thought he'd be a lot nicer if I had a real service job I wanted to have done. I can get my oil anywhere. I thought I'd give him a try and learned my lesson. 3 strikes and your out!

Ringofld,

You get it. He decided I didn't have any rights to discuss the repairs.

Fissco 1234,

That's my feeling too. As a customer it is more about the service and how they deal with me. I'd pay good money to be treated fairly.

Mark,

He was a long time mechanic at long gone Flint dealership.

Jakenok,

Thanks for your understanding and comments.

Big Al47,

The thing is I've wrenched motors and cycles since I was 12 and that's no exaggeration. I have the tools, service manual and even a nice lift. I have a good understanding but have never dug into a Harley motor or tranny. Torn down the primary and did many different repairs. Also top notch on electrical, but handling the tools anymore hurts my hands badly and I have lower back issues. I just want to find someone I can trust to complete what I need done so I can enjoy the upcoming summer.

Last edited by JohnnyC; 01-24-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:46 PM
Mercyfulfate
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds kind of like what I would do in terms of negotiating work done on my bike.

I would want to be satisfied that the people that would possibly be working on my bike are sane and actually listen to what I have to say. If they acted like I am bothering them I would give them a big F*** you and walk out.

its my money. and my bike.

Quick Reply: Never Again!