General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many bikes can I fit in this trailer??

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 09:38 AM
jgcable
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default How many bikes can I fit in this trailer??

We are planning our yearly trip to Daytona Bike week this year and I have a trailer question. We have 6 bikes. 2 Streetglides, 1 Roadglide, 2 Softails and a Wideglide.
We are looking at using a friends enclosed trailer. Its a 20' x 8.5" with the nose on it. The nose extends out another 2'.
I am thinking that the trailer is too small and would be perfect for 5 bikes but not 6.
Anybody with experience on this? Its winter here in Connecticut and the trailer we want to use is 2 hours away so it would be helpful to know if will fit 6 bikes or not before we drive all the way there.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:01 AM
DTCOOPER
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My toy hauler (built) is a 8.5 x 24' cargo trailer.. We hauled 2 road kings and an Ultra in it to Daytona last year.. As you can see in the pic, without the pantry-TV cabinet, and stuff in the front, you could have put another bike in it. But cramming 6 in there would have been extremely difficult, if not impossible.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:20 AM
Eyeball Kid
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

My guess is 17.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:22 AM
Guitardude
Club Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jgcable
We are planning our yearly trip to Daytona Bike week this year and I have a trailer question. We have 6 bikes. 2 Streetglides, 1 Roadglide, 2 Softails and a Wideglide.
We are looking at using a friends enclosed trailer. Its a 20' x 8.5" with the nose on it. The nose extends out another 2'.
I am thinking that the trailer is too small and would be perfect for 5 bikes but not 6.
Anybody with experience on this? Its winter here in Connecticut and the trailer we want to use is 2 hours away so it would be helpful to know if will fit 6 bikes or not before we drive all the way there.
Figure 8 foot per bike length wise, and 3 width wise, and that will give you some idea. The problem isn't just getting them in, it's having room to move around and tie them down.

I'd say 4 in that size trailer, realizing that if one comes loose, you could damage them all...

Old 01-23-2014, 11:27 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Id stick with 4

Old 01-23-2014, 01:00 PM
Scrambler900
Road Captain

Aren't motorcycles meant to be ridden?

Old 01-23-2014, 01:11 PM
Suntower
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to extend the considerable effort and logistical planning to put them in sideways... 6 will fit. Longest Harley is < 99" I think. Leaving you a whopping extra 3"... assuming that the width is measured INSIDE the trailer.

That's how shipping companies move them.

All that said... I wouldn't do it.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:21 PM
CLYDE60
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It could be done but risky. put the 2 SG's in first to the outside of trailer. back the WG between them. then repeat with the others. Somewhere on the trip a strap will probably come a little lose and a ferring will rub a wall. If you use good straps You might be OK but as I said it is risky. For length someone said 8' that's fine for dyna's but an ultra with a tour pack leave 9'

Old 01-23-2014, 01:25 PM
CLYDE60
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scrambler900
That's true but as someone that woke up this morning to -8 and -40 wind chill I wish I had the time to trailer to warmer weather so I could ride for a week.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:45 PM
jgcable
Road Master

Originally Posted by Scrambler900
Yea they are but we live in Connecticut. The last time we left for bike week in Daytona it was 10 degrees out with 6" of snow on the ground.

Its -3 today.

Riding season doesn't start in Connecticut until around mid to late May. Even in April it could get down to 20 degrees and snow. It often snows on Easter Sunday.

I just realized... your profile shows you are from Brooklyn. Are you going out riding today? Nope.

Quick Reply: How many bikes can I fit in this trailer??