Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Heated Hand Grips Critique

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 09:48 PM
ibdpic
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Heated Hand Grips Critique

I have gone through two sets of the HD heated hand grips. I like the adjuster and when installed they worked great. I only got about 60 days out of them and they quite working. The thermostat gets moisture in it and quites working. Take the left side off and see if it has any water in it. I even took extra steps to seal the bars to prevent moisture from getting to the control but didn't help. Now the dealer syas Harley wants 100 bucks to cover the third set. I paid $230 originally. I feel I will not get any longer service life from the third set either. My dealer won't stand behind it either. Told me that they only sell the parts and do not build or design them. Not much for customer service. I told him you represent Harley and I am not asking for the world but would like to settle this small issue. It is not all about the money, it is about the quality of the product. I could have put $50 heated pads under the grips and I know they would have lasted. I have them on my 4 wheeler and there in there 3rd year and get way more use. Just a little disappointed in the way they are handling it. I was not treated like a customer by the store manager. They have lost any future sales of parts or service with me.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:04 PM
Dancemax
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed heated grips on my Softail (mechanic did). I think gloves would a better choice. My thumb gets cold and naturally you have to have a tight grip all the time.I am gonna go for gloves too coming winter. What the heck, you have to be comfortable. Previous threads also had more positive recommendations on gloves.. Grips can not warm your finger tips, thumbs- tips and outside of the hand.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:26 PM
BoneCrusher
Road Master

I have them and so far so good. Only been on the bike for a few months though. I can tell you this when my hands are freezing I am absolutely miserable. The heated hand grips make my whole body feel warm it's great. You do still get a little cold on the top of your hand and sometimes the very tips of your fingers but overall they are awesome. It's so nice to just roll that switch on and feel the heat.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:13 PM
Stache
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went the glove route myself.

Its just not the hands that get cold. I also have a heated jacket. There are several advantages.

Warmth - Of course the combination keeps you quiet warm even in the 30's for extended rides assuming you can also keep your feet warm (no, I dont have heated socks, but insulated boots and thermal socks work pertty well)

Reduced wiring. A pig tail hangs out the jackt wasit band and plugs into a jack I keep just under the edge of the seat. the golves plug into jacks at the wrists of the jacket ... done.

Reduced bulk. The jacket is no more than a liner. I put it on, then the medium weight leather jacket I wear in cool weather ... done ... no putting on 6-8 layers and looking like the Michelin man.

Style- no snow suit ... no bulk .... I don't look like I've been 'inflated'

Comfort- my hands stay warm even if they are not on the hand grips all the time, my body core doesnt have to work overtime to keep my exterimities warm.

Yes .. it still takes a bit of time to 'gear up' .. but if you ride in the cold or the rain or long distance ... you will always have take time to protect your self against the elements.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:25 PM
srochwerg
1st Gear
Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

Most of the new grips end in -02B, -03A, -03B depending on the style. I'm on my second pair of grips which had been a -02B The part-no. of the replacement left grip only was 56514-04A, however it is packaged as 56512-02B in the full kit.

Old 11-02-2007, 05:40 AM
nidan
Road Warrior

I had them installed when I picked up my FLHX in June , finally got to use them in the last month , and they are GREAT. I don't have to have them above 3 and usually let them get really warm for about 10 miles then turn them off , they hold heat well for quite a while.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:12 PM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

have them on my UC and i like them. never had heated gloves. i am sure that their effectiveness is also based on the glove that you are wearing and the insolation and windproffing properties that they have. i have used the heated grips down to around 30, but where a pretty good insulated glove also. my hands feel cool on top but warm/hot on the grip. however just briefly releasing the grip will immediately cool the hands off.

my daughter has them on her sportster but i have only used them around 50, but with non insulated gloves and they work just as well.

one definite advantage to heated grips over heated gloves is that you can use the grips with any glove. can the heated gloves be used when raining? the grips - put on some rain gloves and turn on the heat.

i'll keep my grips for now and will probably stay with them. until i get a heated suit i will stay away from the heated gloves.

Old 11-02-2007, 03:08 PM
grumpy irish again
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have chrome grips on mine and always half to worry about burning my hand on them here in so cal.

Old 11-02-2007, 03:41 PM
bigdoghd
Road Master

I just installed a set of heat demons on my Ultra.....nice and warm even thru my gloves. It has a graduated led and the switch look like a factory set up. I'm inpressed I have them on my web site.

Old 11-02-2007, 04:01 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

In previous posts, I've defended the Harley heated grips. This fall, however, at one year old, mine no longer turn on until the dial is at 4. Last year I was comfortably warm at 2. If the new models have the bugs worked out, I'd buy another pair when these quit all together, otherwise I'll be shopping for something else.

Ski gloves work quite well, btw, for riding in cold weather.