Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Heated Hand Grips Critique

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 08:35 PM
RanD
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Heated Hand Grips Critique

ORIGINAL: 69Shark

Good point. Maybe someone here has them on unprotected handlebars and can comment?

Thanks!
Scott
Yes, but beware, because the 'new' heated hand grips have been re-designed due to malfunction, etc. of the old design. So.... some folks mightcomment thatthey aren't very good when they are talking about the old technology. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:52 PM
harleyfire18
6th Gear

Now when you guys talk about problems with the "older" grips what years are we talking? I just bought a pair of heated grips on ebay and the package says 8-1-03 on the label. Are these the "newer" ones that are better or might they be the old style?

Thanks.

Old 04-05-2007, 11:05 PM
FLHDRIVER
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had heated grips on my BMW LT and used them often when temps were below 45, work great on cool mornings/evenings. However, on a long ride the front and tops of your hands will eventually get really cold. Gloves (heated) are the only way to go. The least annoying way to use them, is in conjunction with the heated jacket liner. I have the Gerbings heated jacket liner with pigtails in the sleves for the gloves, no wires running down your arms. Only need one wire out the bottom of the jacket liner(heat controller) to the power setup. Teh BMW's have the european CIG plugs, but I eventually hardwire mine and just plugged the heattroller in, much simplier. Good for riding 20 and below. Brrrrrr.

Old 04-06-2007, 08:59 AM
stile45
Cruiser

FLHdriver is right I"ve had heated gloves and now have heated grips . The gloves will keep your hands top and bottom warm the grips wont . But I"m talking about a bike without a faring, a faring might make quite a differance.

Old 04-06-2007, 10:05 AM
Cohiba_Joe
Road Captain

I had always wondered about the heated grips vs. heated gloves. My thought process was the gloves, based on the internal heating elements, would keep the back of your hands warm where as the heated grips wouldn't. I would also think it would be the back of your hands that would get the coldest since that is the part facing into the wind (with or without a fairing). I haven't ruled out installing heated grips but for now I'm running heated gloves. So far that is the only heated clothing I have needed. As long as my hands are warm I'm good to go.

In regards to the gloves being a pain in the butt....I couldn't agree more. What I ended up doing was to sew in a few elastic loops to the jacket lining (behind the removable lining), I then made up a custom length of cable that I feed through the loops and down each arm. Now I only have the two pigtails at each cuff and the pigtail at the bottom of the jacket that plugs into the power switch. It has made things much easier but would still like to know more in regards to the heated grips to see if they would be a suitable substitute. Here on the mid-Eastern coast the winters can get quite chilly and I'm a year-round rider. My hands NEED to be warm.

Any further info would be greatly appreciated. This just might get added to next winters modifications list.

Thanks,
Brian

Old 04-06-2007, 10:43 AM
atco
Advanced

I bought a HD set last year , put them on, was happy until, after a few months, they stopped working.
Did read others having problems, too. Took them off and got better gloves.

Edit: Did like the feel of warm hands, though...

Old 04-06-2007, 03:39 PM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey question, most of the HD heated grips say they wont work with internaly wired bars.. WHY?

please help with this question, thanks

Old 05-06-2007, 09:29 AM
robandlyn
Road Master

ORIGINAL: harleyfire18

Now when you guys talk about problems with the "older" grips what years are we talking? I just bought a pair of heated grips on ebay and the package says 8-1-03 on the label. Are these the "newer" ones that are better or might they be the old style?

Thanks.
Yes I would like to know the answer too ....
We just had our 1st set go bad. I called HD once about a bad LED oil temp[/align]dip stick and was told there was a 90 day warranty so they replaced it.[/align]Unfortunatly the grips were bought in December.[/align]Anyone have any luck with HD replacing BAD heated grips ?[/align]Thanks ....[/align]Rob ....[/align]

Old 05-06-2007, 10:52 AM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: 69Shark

Good point. Maybe someone here has them on unprotected handlebars and can comment?

Thanks!
Scott
I've got them on my RKC. The tips of your fingers still get cold when directly exposed to wind blast.

Old 05-06-2007, 02:30 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

I have them on my Heritage. They keep my hands very toasty down into the 30s.

Quick Reply: New Heated Hand Grips Critique