Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Divorce seller question

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 01:19 PM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,921 Likes on 3,290 Posts

Stranger things have happened.. I answered a craigslist ad one time for a snap-on tool box loaded with tools.. Come to find out the girl selling it was beat-up by the husband two nights before and he was in jail. The ad said "$ Make offer"
I paid $2k for a roll away snap-on box loaded with $15k in tools. Still have them today.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:49 PM
Fatboy1389
Road Warrior
Received 221 Likes on 129 Posts

a friend picked up a Fatboy that a motorcyclee shop told him about while he was there. They had worked on it and still had it in their possession. the guy was hiding it from the wife and didn't want her to get any of the $$, it was in the husbands name with no liens and he scored a great deal! It depends on the circumstances and you definitely have to do your own due diligence before you hand over any $$ - deals can be had ....

Old 01-17-2014, 01:54 PM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Carl '69
Pfffttt.... the day I threw that skag out, I bought a new bike.
I'm happy for you, seriously....
you done something right, by either hiding money or she made more then you. Just isn't the norm though!

Old 01-17-2014, 03:10 PM
Carl '69
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 695 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete6114
I'm happy for you, seriously....
you done something right, by either hiding money or she made more then you. Just isn't the norm though!
Yeah, I did get off easier than most, but it was worth it to be rid of her. Fortunately, I managed to avoid knocking her up. Made things SO much easier.

I would have found a way to ride, regardless. I'd sold my '98 FLTR before I married her (in '01) & knew I was gonna need to get in the wind to help me get my head back together. I was still in the Army at the time (retired Nov '08), so with good credit & a steady (& not shabby) paycheck, I bought a brandy-new '05 Kawi ZRX1200R. Hey, I needed a lot of wind & fast to clear that vampire outta my head

Old 01-17-2014, 04:12 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

As a buyer do you really care why someone is selling anything? I don't. If the price is good, I really don't care why it got that way. The actual bike and it's condition is the only thing I'd care about. His reason (justification) for the low price may be legit, or it may be BS to get me to look at it, but I'm going to base my worth of the bike by it's condition and nothing else.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:23 PM
ghira75
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If we were real gentlemen we should negotiate the price down. I mean really cheap. Like a couple of grands for a couple years old-low mileage top condition Harley. So the poor guy gets as little cash as possible, give half of that to the (about to be ex)wife, then when the divorce it's all settled resell him the bike at the same price we bought from him.
That I'd call it brotherhood!

When you lose somebody untrustworthy like a bad wife you certainly don't want to lose your trustworthy Harley as well after. It may even help you get laid after the divorce..

Old 01-17-2014, 04:41 PM
Idaho Spud
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Worked with a guy who had a penchant for expensive suits. The wife caught him and when he was away from the house, boxed it all up and took it to Goodwill. There were a lot of well dressed bums hanging out on the street that year.

I bought a ski boat for about 1/2 the normal price from a buddy who was going through a tough one. He figured he was going to lose it anyway and not get a dime so if it went to a buddy, at least he would get invited out on it occasionally. Darn if the mean witch didnt try and come get more money out of me, but I had a legit bill of sale and clean title so she was out of luck.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:30 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Not always a scam. In 1981, I got divorced and had to sell my 1980 Low Rider in order to pay for the bills she left me with. Being in the Air Force at the time, money was extremely tight. She ran up phone bills and bounced checks right and left before taking off. So, I sold the most valuable thing I had. Bought the bike new for $6,995.00. Sold it barely a year later for $3,800.00 just to get out from under it and pay off the debt.

The really sad things is, saw a bike just like it in the classifieds 10 years later. Asking price, $6,995.00.

So no, not always a scam. Sometimes just desperate.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:46 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 222 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
Not always a scam. In 1981, I got divorced and had to sell my 1980 Low Rider in order to pay for the bills she left me with. Being in the Air Force at the time, money was extremely tight. She ran up phone bills and bounced checks right and left before taking off. So, I sold the most valuable thing I had. Bought the bike new for $6,995.00. Sold it barely a year later for $3,800.00 just to get out from under it and pay off the debt.

The really sad things is, saw a bike just like it in the classifieds 10 years later. Asking price, $6,995.00.

So no, not always a scam. Sometimes just desperate.
+1, Lost my '79 Low Rider in exactly the same situation . . . been there done that . . .

Attached Thumbnails Divorce seller question-my-79-low-rider-lr2.jpg  
Old 01-17-2014, 05:57 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
+1, Lost my '79 Low Rider in exactly the same situation . . . been there done that . . .
Here's the one I had. Still miss this bike!!!

Quick Reply: Divorce seller question