Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Divorce seller question

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 11:43 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 766 Posts

Seeing as how half of all marriages end in divorce, it certainly could be legit. But like stated above, if the price is too good to be true, you can't see the bike in person, it's not local, etc. you have to do your due diligence to make sure it's for real.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:44 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by KEYBEAR
If I was newly Divorced I would be buying not selling .
That is what I did!

Old 01-17-2014, 12:02 PM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I listen to what the seller says...

But I rarely believe any of what he/she says!

Old 01-17-2014, 12:04 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,967 Likes on 17,892 Posts

I'd say it's about 50/50 seen a lot of guys dumping stuff due to divorce and she was after his stuff just to be a bitch about things , seen a lot of women dumping his stuff dirt cheap just to **** him off too . Distressed doesn't always mean it's a scam . My own divorce I had a buddy who was a local big wheel make up a lien agreement saying my bike was collateral on a cash loan and damned if the c*nt didn't try and go after the bike , the bogus papers where the only thing that stopped it .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 01-17-2014 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:05 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,629 Likes on 2,734 Posts

Divorces can be ruinously expensive, not unusual for a lot of things you can live without to get converted to cash. I've even known guys that just sold stuf to pay off what was owed on them, said they wouldn't get to keep any profit anyway, so why let the other half get it? I bought a "too good to be true" bike a while back, guy didn't explain the circumstances, just said he was desperate for cash. Payoff to Harley financing was about a hundred more than he'd asked, could see that upset him, so I just threw that in to save the deal. Yeah, I was real careful to check all the paperwork, but there were no problems. The Harley financing was actually re-assuring; be more difficult to pull a scam with a company like that holding the title. And breathed a little sigh of relief when I had my own title and plate.

Long time ago I checked on an ad for one of those factory cafe racer styled sportsters, way too cheap, figured there was something wrong with it. There was - guy was in a motel and no title... Walked away from that one; would have liked the bike, would have payed the price, but not with a good chance it was stolen.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:09 PM
Hauser
Tourer
Location: a little place called 'insanity'... a great place to be!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe it's a pride thing.

"Selling due to divorce!" sounds better then "Have to sell because I'm broke and lost my Job!".

Old 01-17-2014, 12:17 PM
Boltsfaninmo
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who cares why someone is selling? Just do your due dilligence if you want to buy a bike.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:25 PM
Guitardude
Club Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyGTP
Of course it doesn't, but it if it is accompanied by a price that seems "too good to be true", it warrants further investigation.
Last divorce I was forced to sell a boat and give her half. Sold a year old Ski Nautique for $5,000.00 to a friend of a friend, gave her the $2,500 and bought the boat back for $5,500.00

Last year I bought a 2003 RoadKing, 5800 miles on it, for $6,000 from a couple going through a divorce.

It happens. Deal local where you can look at the bike or whatever and talk to the parties and you can find some real deals....

Old 01-17-2014, 12:36 PM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KEYBEAR
If I was newly Divorced I would be buying not selling .
I'm not sure, but i just don't think you went through a divorce yet.....

Originally Posted by Thumper09
I'd think that getting a divorce would be a reason to BUY a new bike....not sell the one you have. I'd be like "the beaaaatch is gone...wooohooooo...I'm going to buy a bike and start having the fun I've been missing out on all these years!!!!!!"
Same as above^^^. Just want to add, that as far as i know, divorce laws in the USA are not that much different then up here. Unless your EX makes more money then you, and the majority of them dont, you're financially toast. Ask me how i know.....

Originally Posted by lo-rider
Come on you guys! Stating the reason for selling as "divorce" does not constitute a scam.
Absolutely right!!
When i went through it, many things went for cheap, including the house, which was paid off. I turned down a stupid offer and she accepted it....guess who got her way, with the help of the law....
About 50 % of marriages break down and some of them have a bike as part of the estate, that he has the option to buy, by paying her halve the value. More often then not, he wont have the money to do that and they're forcing him to sell quickly, so she can get her half.
This is pissing me off just thinking back 12 years.......I feel sorry for guys going through it as well as young bucks, getting hitched without a prenup and are thinking with the wrong head.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:13 PM
Carl '69
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 695 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete6114
I'm not sure, but i just don't think you went through a divorce yet.....

Same as above^^^. Just want to add, that as far as i know, divorce laws in the USA are not that much different then up here. Unless your EX makes more money then you, and the majority of them dont, you're financially toast. Ask me how i know.....
Pfffttt.... the day I threw that skag out, I bought a new bike.

Quick Reply: Divorce seller question