General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waterproof Motorcycle Covers

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 08:56 AM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Waterproof Motorcycle Covers

I am looking at waterproof, outdoor motorcycle cover and would like to know if anybody has experience with them. I have done advanced search and have seen a lot of answers about new sheds, bubbles and blankets, but no real reviews on waterproof covers. Two manufacturers I have looked at are Champion and Empire.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:06 AM
hollowpoint
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine came from Harley Davidson, & has been outdoors every summer for 6 or 8 years. The cover is still in very good shape, although last year I needed to spray it with Thompson's WaterSeal for Fabric as it began to leak. The treatment worked.
I highly recommend it.

Last edited by hollowpoint; 01-13-2014 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:07 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know if you can get Oxford brand kit in the US (it's very common in the UK) but the Oxford Stormex is an excellent and durable cover.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:38 AM
hollowpoint
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Very High Plain Drifter
I don't know if you can get Oxford brand kit in the US (it's very common in the UK) but the Oxford Stormex is an excellent and durable cover.
Amazon.com: Oxford OF140 Stormex Medium Outdoor Motorcycle Cover with Bonded Seams: Automotive Amazon.com: Oxford OF140 Stormex Medium Outdoor Motorcycle Cover with Bonded Seams: Automotive

Old 01-13-2014, 09:39 AM
marcortez
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Nelson/Rigg cover that works for me. Reasonable pricing.

It's never seen any hard rains, but has seen some heavy dew and light snow once.
Totally dry underneath.

Tight nylon weave fabric that smashes down good to fit into the stuff sack provided.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:03 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27,862 Likes on 11,647 Posts

Waterproof covers also mean they will trap moisture underneath. From a corrosion standpoint, they might cause more harm than they prevent.
Covers are a good idea in places where the sun damages vehicles.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:07 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep - that's the one! I use it every day and have done for nearly three years straight. Of course it's lost that "new cover smell" (ha ha) but it doesn't leak and has successfully kept off wind, rain, snow, hail, UV, bird poop, sticky fingers, prying eyes and, yes - dog pee (life in the big city...) pretty much every day. It also has a non-melty lining that won't instantly stick to hot pipes.

Also, throwing a non-Harley branded cover on the bike turns it from a nice, shiny Harley-Davidson into a nondescript black lump that you'd hardly glance at.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:19 AM
DDuess
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X2 on the trapping moisture under the cover. The cover needs to breath well or it will hold moisture under it too. It can be a real problem here in PacNorWest, particularly if the bike isn't parked over a hard surface. If you park on dirt, wet or damp dirt, moisture builds up under the cover, worse then no cover.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:14 PM
imazel
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought this Champion cover for my sportster:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017OFOQ8/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017OFOQ8/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Its waterproof and has covered vents that prevent moisture buildup underneath. Even with mini-apes, the fit was right on. So far, I've had no problems with it.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:22 PM
hollowpoint
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by upflying
Waterproof covers also mean they will trap moisture underneath. From a corrosion standpoint, they might cause more harm than they prevent.
Covers are a good idea in places where the sun damages vehicles.
I agree that sun can do more damage, but since liquid water is thicker than air, technology can now produce materials that breath + are water repellent. Gortex is a good example. Tyvek house wrap & Thompson's Water Seal for Fabric also have the ability to be water barriers but not vapor barriers.

(PS-- the Harley cover is vented like a good tent is vented.)

Last edited by hollowpoint; 01-13-2014 at 04:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Waterproof Motorcycle Covers