Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Rider Killed by a Left Turn

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 12:52 AM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Another Rider Killed by a Left Turn

Driver didn't "see" the oncoming bike. I know this probably happens throughout the US, but it pisses me off that drivers are regularly given a pass for this bullshit excuse. The consequences should be greater, like a mandatory involuntary manslaughter charge. If more people had their lives ruined for negligently killing a rider this way, I'll bet we'd become slightly more visible to oncoming traffic.

http://www.10news.com/news/motorcycl...crash-01122014

Old 01-13-2014, 12:55 AM
JKay
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A sad day indeed but yes I'm sure it happens Mich more often than we hear about....

Even in my car I seem.to be invisible.to other drivers, so I always try and anticipate the worst when I see other vehicles esp when out on my Scoot

Old 01-13-2014, 01:36 AM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Luckily, I lived through mine (with a trashed right leg). It's obvious they don't see you because THEY DON'T LOOK. Seems that too few drivers are trained to look right, look left and look right again before making a left turn. Should be a no brainer but not using this procedure is what gets us in trouble.
I was also lucky she had liability insurance that covered the bike damage, and I was well covered by my insurance from work. After it all played out it didn't cost me anything out of pocket, thankfully!
Thanks to a good surgeon, I didn't lose the leg but I walk funny now, can't run (you old farts will recall Denise Weaver as Chester on Gunsmoke), but atleast am able to kick start the beast with my bionic (titanium) right leg.

I can do without any more "surprises" like that!

Old 01-13-2014, 01:59 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,547 Likes on 6,276 Posts

That sucks. Left hand turners are the scariest part of riding in heavy traffic. In Wisconsin traffic is usually light enough that I can adjust my speed to avoid being in the intersection when they turn. If I end up near them, I hate that vulnerable position.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:04 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

right of way means nothing...let off the gas, cover the brakes, sit up and pay attention at all intersections. most accidents can be avoided by defensive riding.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:25 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by DeJavu
Luckily, I lived through mine...
Happened to me twice -- 1970 and 2008. REALLY lucky to have walked away both times, bikes were totalled.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:10 AM
Twistnride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

He wasn't killed by a left turn. He was killed by not riding heads up.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:25 AM
Dark Knight
Road Captain
Received 147 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Twistnride
He wasn't killed by a left turn. He was killed by not riding heads up.
Here we go. Another person playing Monday Morning Quarterback who I'm sure could have avoided the accident if it were HIM riding...

Old 01-13-2014, 08:43 AM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

It is amazing how often that happens. God bless him and his family for being killed for something so stupid.

My first ride after winter last year. 2 blocks away from home heading out.....
I'm literally on the bike for the first time in a few MONTHS and at the wheel about 3 minutes.

A car is ahead of me on a road heading out of town. Single lane roadway heading North with a few little side streets on left and right sides but no one is out.

The guy in front of me in the car puts on his right directional and hits the brake to make a right turn......I'm cool with that cause I'm way back.

(this is my chance to go left wide around him while throttling up my beast to zoom away past him and continue down the road!!!

He slows down I see his brake lights, he has his blinker on to go right....I go wide left and throttle UP and he then realizes (split second) he needed to go LEFT not right to get to the major hiway he was looking for.

So there he is now abruptly going left and I'm heading straight to TEE bone him HARD. I just scream like a b^&*H at the TOP of my lungs "NOOOOOOOO YOU MOTHER F#$%ER!!! NOOOOO as I hit the brakes (no ABS) and down shift and PRAY TO GOD.

He see's me about to hit his side and floors his car as he goes LEFT and just pulls it out of my Tbone Zone literally by 1 inch. If he did not floor his car or if he stopped in shock I'd be pretty hurt or worse.

He goes left on his way and I go straight nearly crapping myself and continue screaming YOU MOTHER %^&* . I couldnt stop myself or shut myself up I was just beside myself on this near hard miss.

THats how easy it is to get killed. Drive safe fellas. I shouldnt have done what I did. I dont do it any more.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:47 AM
Firewoman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by SquidHead
Driver didn't "see" the oncoming bike. I know this probably happens throughout the US, but it pisses me off that drivers are regularly given a pass for this bullshit excuse. The consequences should be greater, like a mandatory involuntary manslaughter charge. If more people had their lives ruined for negligently killing a rider this way, I'll bet we'd become slightly more visible to oncoming traffic.

http://www.10news.com/news/motorcycl...crash-01122014

Yes that.

Quick Reply: Another Rider Killed by a Left Turn