General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Rider Killed by a Left Turn

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 12:28 PM
JaySwear
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by acunn1
If you read the story, the accident happened just before 6am. I would think it was dark enough for the headlight to be seen...hmmm makes you think
That's even scarier, if it was dark. I always think "at least I've got my headlight." It's not much, but it's something. In the early morning hours it should DEFINITELY have helped.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:15 PM
alysonowner
Advanced

Last summer on I-70 I went to pass an SUV and semi going ten under the limit. As I was abeam the guys driver door her swerved into my lane to pass the semi. With no shoulder and only inches between me and the cable barriers I opened her wide out. By the time he saw me he was up to the semis trailer and attempted to swerve back. He over corrected and swerved back. I was maybe a half foot in front of him with his front bumper brushing my rear tire. This all occurred on a curve next to copper mountain ski resort in colorado. I learned a lot in those few seconds. First loud pipes don't always save lives. Second always always be in a gear to get the best throttle response. I started the pass at 50 mph in fifth gear. The ole 96er didn't hit her stride till he over corrected and nearly hit me the second time. At that point I was at 60 mph and she pulled away quickly. Always plan for the worst. At the beginning of the season and often through the riding season practice practice practice swerving and emergency stops in an empty parking lot. I practice for an hour or two each spring. When my rear tires worn down ill use up the last bit of tread practicing max braking including locking em up. You will lock up in a panic situation and must practice and know just how hard you can push without locking up and what to do when you do lock up. Ride safe. God speed to those we lose on two wheels. Let their lost lives teach us to always be vigilant and proficient.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:31 PM
MN_RoadKing
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gliden
It is amazing how often that happens. God bless him and his family for being killed for something so stupid.

My first ride after winter last year. 2 blocks away from home heading out.....
I'm literally on the bike for the first time in a few MONTHS and at the wheel about 3 minutes.

A car is ahead of me on a road heading out of town. Single lane roadway heading North with a few little side streets on left and right sides but no one is out.

The guy in front of me in the car puts on his right directional and hits the brake to make a right turn......I'm cool with that cause I'm way back.

(this is my chance to go left wide around him while throttling up my beast to zoom away past him and continue down the road!!!

He slows down I see his brake lights, he has his blinker on to go right....I go wide left and throttle UP and he then realizes (split second) he needed to go LEFT not right to get to the major hiway he was looking for.

So there he is now abruptly going left and I'm heading straight to TEE bone him HARD. I just scream like a b^&*H at the TOP of my lungs "NOOOOOOOO YOU MOTHER F#$%ER!!! NOOOOO as I hit the brakes (no ABS) and down shift and PRAY TO GOD.

He see's me about to hit his side and floors his car as he goes LEFT and just pulls it out of my Tbone Zone literally by 1 inch. If he did not floor his car or if he stopped in shock I'd be pretty hurt or worse.

He goes left on his way and I go straight nearly crapping myself and continue screaming YOU MOTHER %^&* . I couldnt stop myself or shut myself up I was just beside myself on this near hard miss.

THats how easy it is to get killed. Drive safe fellas. I shouldnt have done what I did. I dont do it any more.
Gliden, I'm glad you are here to tell the story with no harm done. The lesson I take away from your experience, and the way I ride now, is to never EVER assume a cage is going to do what they appear to be doing. In your situation I would have slowed, stopped if necessary, and waited for him to complete whatever it is he wants to do, and make sure his *** is out of my way before moving on. Blowing by a cage turning in front of you is a good way to die IMO.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:35 PM
Freebirdsride1
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

that's sad we all need to remember drive like your invisible it mite save your life.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:04 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,390 Likes on 1,561 Posts

I don't think some of the time it has anything to do with seeing a motorcycle. I think many drivers just don't look period. They want to do something like change lanes, turn left, stop, pull into their driveway, and they don't care who is behind them or beside them. They feel entitled to drive the way they do or they are totally clueless.
There are plenty of 2 car accidents every day - clearly one of them is at fault from not thinking or not looking before moving or stopping. It's just that the consequences are generally worse if one vehicle is a motorcycle.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:23 PM
mtnbkr62
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First My condolences to the family, Second how many of us no matter how dilligent we are make a mistake? I know in my truck I have changed lanes almost taking out a car because either I didn't fully look, or he was in a blind spot. Accidents happen as we are all human, whether on 2 wheels or 4 we all just need to step it up a notch and try to be ever more vigilent.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:35 PM
Triple M
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I always take the position, that if someone is turning left or pulling out of a side street or parking lot, that they don't see me on my bike. I will flick my headlights, or honk my horn, slow down, or do all three. Last year I replaced all my lights on my Heritage with LEDs, hoping to increase my visibility. I have even started wearing a white pearl helmet. It is my thoughts that I have to depend on my ability to avoid that kind accident as opposed to depending on cagers to see me.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:44 PM
TimmH
Cruiser

Originally Posted by streeteagle
I read somewhere they did a study & that when a cager looks to the left he/she is looking for cars & that a motorcycle does'nt "register" in their brain and they actually don't "see" it. This has been used by defense attorneys, to me, that is total bullshit, if you are looking as you should ,& you see something is HAS to register in your brain.

I saw a show not long ago about this effect. Your brain doesn't register things that aren't in direct line of view, small objects, and things that aren't moving in a scenario where it expects moving objects.

They showed how a motorcycle at a distance is such a small object in the overall landscape that the brain doesn't see it as relavent information when the quick look both ways, and will leave it out. it's called Motion Induced Blindness.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:48 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The "didn't see the motorcycle" excuse should be an admission to guilt and charged as manslaughter in a death. I'm 56 years old and I see all motorcycles. If you drive on public roads it is a privledge and should be taken away if you kill someone.

There are a lot of drivers that have just got too damn complacent. I was in my truck and was driving on a street and saw a guy come up to a stop sign and slow down and went right through it without even looking my way. Luckily I was watching his eyes and knew he was going to do it. We both stopped at the same gas station and was going to say something but I figured he wouldn't have a clue he did anything wrong.

Almost every time I ride somebody does something that could have killed me. I try to stay alert and even though I use to drink and drive with the truck, I won't do it on a motorcycle.

Be careful out there...they are trying to kill us.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:13 PM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I know this is just a dream, but they should make everyone ride a motorcycle for a period of time as a precursor to obtaining a drivers license. The benefits would be twofold: We'd clean out the shallow end of the gene pool and drivers might be more aware of motorcycles.

Quick Reply: Another Rider Killed by a Left Turn