General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley riding gear!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 11:55 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

take it slow. don't go blow your whole wad now. get something that you can ride with and then pick up other pieces as you go along. obviously, you're gonna need some type of jacket now. but don't go get the heaviest winter coat you can find. get something that you can layer with and will still work when it starts getting warmer outside. your experience will tell you what you need.

oh, and congrats on the new bike.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:00 PM
Grimace97
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All my gear is from leather up eBay or theissens\ farm and fleet

Helmets. If you do. Buy in person. Period

Leather up is well worth it for 100 thick *** jackets. And their customer service has been great.

IMO harley coats for 450 are nuts when try are still made overseas.

If you want quality American leather. Fox creek. About 350 for a coat and quality.

I have a leather coat from leather up I wear if below 70 ish. A vented armoured textile hd coat I got here for 70. Also a knock of perfecto coat from jfrum. I paid 80 for but don't wear often as it's too large.

Boots I have a pair of docs. But my walmart boots I've been very happy with.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:12 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,034 Likes on 12,011 Posts

Don't forget to check out a Cycle Gear store for riding stuff.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:22 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
Don't forget to check out a Cycle Gear store for riding stuff.
+1 for Cycle Gear. Helmets have 7-day return policy if you don't like (other bike shops don't). "Bilt" non-leather coats with built-in shoulder/elbow padding well worth the $.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:06 PM
Rocinante
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum, OP. From your post, it almost sounds like this is not just your first Harley, it's your first bike. So here are a couple of thoughts. First, as self-taught rider myself, I'd suggest a lot of study time on YouTube, purchase of the Ride Like a Pro video series or taking the MSF rider course. Then ride intelligently.

As for the gear, a helmet (or eye protection, at least), leather jacket, leather gloves and decent boots are the minimum, IMHO. My experience with tennis shoes is "too slippery" at stops and ankles are exposed. Bare hands get dinged by stuff flying up from the road and/or sun burn after a long day. Jacket has also caught a couple of gravel bits that dropped from trucks.

To each his own, of course. That's the freedom of riding. These are my thoughts.

Ride safe!

Old 01-12-2014, 01:08 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 605 Likes on 440 Posts

Leather boots, Gloves and helmet.A coat large enough to layer underneath. I like wind proof material. Leather chaps for colder rides. For rain gear I suggest getting one that has a hood that fits under your helmet. Keeps water from running down your back. I hate that, other than that my cheap one works fairly good.
Congratulations on the new bike.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:11 PM
Nickatnyt
Road Warrior
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts

My favorite are the Harley boots and gloves. I had the boots several years before i even had a Harley and found them for $100 at one of the major dept stores. I have plenty of money but even I can't justify paying $300-$500 for a Harley riding jacket, so instead I have two armored jackets - a black leather and also a silver fabric mesh, both from Xelement and I love them. Good deals for those can be found on Leatherup.com. I recently bought my first modular helmet from Revzilla.com. It is a Nolan and it is awesome.

Last edited by Nickatnyt; 01-12-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:20 PM
06Ultraman
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

First time i've ever seen someone call harley stuff not over priced!!!

Old 01-12-2014, 01:37 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

If we you are wanting THE BEST riding gear than it wouldn't be Harley gear. Here's a list

1. Motorcycle jackets- Fox Creek (with force field armor) and Schotts leather
2 Helmets (full face/modular)- Shoei, AGU, Schuberth, Lazer, Icon, Bell
3. Gloves- Dainese, alpinestars, AGV, Icon
4. Boots- make sure you choose something with foot, ankle, heel, and toe protection
5. Riding leather pants/overpants- Dainese, AGV, joe rocket, Icon

Here's a great website for safe riding gear www.revzilla.com

Old 01-12-2014, 02:09 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

For around town during the summer I wear a T shirt and vest, when venturing away from home I pack a ballistic nylon jacket with lots of vents and a fleece pullover for a liner. During cooler weather I wear a leather jacket & chaps for warmth, skid & wind protection. I also have a heated jacket liner that fits under both jackets and rain gear to fit over everything. Layers give you the best options

Quick Reply: Harley riding gear!?