General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone pull an IronHorse or Aeroshield trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 08:31 PM
PopsHD
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Anyone pull an IronHorse or Aeroshield trailer?

The title says it all. Please provide options, year model and pros/cons you have experienced. Thanks.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:10 AM
Swamp Tiger
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an Ironhorse fliptop trailer. The trailer pulls great and loads easily. I bought mine new in 2005 from dealer outside of Richmond, VA. The trailer had to be order, and it took almost two months for delivery. At that time, the trailer had a design flaw that allowed the trailer fender to scrape the tire occasionally when you hit a bump in the road. The company paid to have a local welder "jack up" the frame a couple of inches. The gas cylinders that support the flip top during loading have played out --- they probably should have installed a heavier duty cylinder. I would hope the company has corrected those two issues by now.

I still like the trailer design and would normally recommend it except for the few aggravating flaws that I have encountered. If you buy a new trailer from a local dealer, ask the dealer how the trailer will be delivered. When I bought mine 8-9 years ago, they would hook a couple of trailers together in tandem and haul them with a regular vehicle to the dealer --- mean that my "new" trailer had 600-700 miles on it before I picked it up.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:58 PM
PopsHD
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Swamp Tiger
I have an Ironhorse fliptop trailer. The trailer pulls great and loads easily. I bought mine new in 2005 from dealer outside of Richmond, VA. The trailer had to be order, and it took almost two months for delivery. At that time, the trailer had a design flaw that allowed the trailer fender to scrape the tire occasionally when you hit a bump in the road. The company paid to have a local welder "jack up" the frame a couple of inches. The gas cylinders that support the flip top during loading have played out --- they probably should have installed a heavier duty cylinder. I would hope the company has corrected those two issues by now.

I still like the trailer design and would normally recommend it except for the few aggravating flaws that I have encountered. If you buy a new trailer from a local dealer, ask the dealer how the trailer will be delivered. When I bought mine 8-9 years ago, they would hook a couple of trailers together in tandem and haul them with a regular vehicle to the dealer --- mean that my "new" trailer had 600-700 miles on it before I picked it up.
Thanks for the feedback. I talked to the manufacturer and they had a used 2008 model in stock. There were vast improvements made from 2008 to 2014 in design, structure, etc. I'm guessing (hoping) that the issues you experienced have been addressed by now.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:23 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,293 Likes on 1,858 Posts

I don't have one but I'd sure love to have their Wide Body model.
Not sure they're cost effective unless you would use it very frequently but they are definitely easier to pull than comparable enclosed trailers and they look really sleek.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:01 PM
bwana1
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a 2004 "Fibercore". it is aerodynamic, has electric brakes and will hold two Ultras. Weighs about 1000 lbs empty, very easy to pull or maneuver by hand but, they are pricey. Only one color to get and that is white.

Bwana

Old 01-07-2014, 08:09 PM
flicksport1200
Cruiser

i use a two stall 1976 blair horse trailer , converted to a utliity trailer, to haul my 05 softail around , which isnt often cause im always riding it lol

Old 05-07-2014, 11:26 AM
Ultra90Harley
Intermediate

I purchased an Aeroshield. Picked it up at the factory myself. Overall happy with the trailer. Super lightweight but pricey compare to cargo trailers, but lowest cost lightweight I found. Just got back from a 4000 trip pulling it at 80 MPH all day long. Pulled great even with high cross winds. There is a design flaw that the tailgate has a rod that is just kind of press fitted. On rough roads, it would work itself out. Pulled over at a rest stop after a couple of hundred miles and it was sticking out about a foot. Just had to hammer it back in. The body of the fenders and top is a polycarbonate similar to trash cans or a port a potty. Called the factory to inquire if they have a solution and no returned calls or emails. To me it seems like a simple fix. Will probably just tap the rod and put a bolt and washer to keep it from working itself out. Happy with trailer, but their customer service is poor. Fortunately I did not have any major issues. One other issue is that the front seal is not the greatest. Not water tight. Pretty simple setup overall.