General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Legal or not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 07:47 AM
disom007
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Legal or not?

I got a clear taillight lens and clear signal light lens for my bike. I know you can get red signal light lens for the rear but i wanted clear lens with red bulbs. with all the combinations that you can get (from harley; 4 clear lens w/amber bulbs, 2 clear lens 2 red lens...etc.) you cannot get clear lens w/red bulbs. Its no big deal cause i can get red bulbs for $2 dollars, i just wondered if there was a reason they didnt sell them that way. Maybe in some states that's illegal...dont know.

Old 03-17-2007, 10:56 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Legal or not?

Many times State Statues dealing with the rear tail light are 'foggy' to say the least, and vary from state to state...

It would probably be best to check with your local law enforcement personnel and see what would be legal in your home state.

Here the State Statue dealing with the rear light is;

"Any vehicle may be equipped and when required under this ordinance shall be equipped with a stop lamp or stop lamps on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red or amber light, or any shade of color between red and amber, visible from a distance of not less than 300 feet to the rear in normal sunlight, and which shall be activated upon application of the service or foot brake, and which may but need not be incorporated with one or more other rear lamps."

[8D]

Old 03-17-2007, 11:17 AM
Sam
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the daytime the clear with a red bulb will not show up as well as the amber (go figure, but it's true), that's one reason Harley does not have a package. Spend the extra money and get Kuryakyn LED's, better looking and a lot safer.

Old 03-17-2007, 11:37 AM
Jumpman
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 28 Posts

I would suggest going to a local auto parts store and getting a LED bulb for your tail/brake lamp. The LEDs appear clear when off, and then light red - so it won't distract from the look you are going for with your new lenses.

As far as legality, most states require a red reflective surface on the rear of a motorcycle...it (in most cases) does NOT have to be the tail light. Most tail lights (on bikes) only have the 'reflective' areas on the sides...Different story on cars/trucks.

Old 03-17-2007, 11:43 AM
ditch_dgr
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is the law for Virginia.

Every motorcycle registered in the Commonwealth and operated on the highways of the Commonwealth shall be equipped with at least one brake light of a type approved by the Superintendent. Motorcycles may be equipped with one or more auxiliary brake lights of a type approved by the Superintendent. The Superintendent may by regulation prescribe or limit the size, number, location, and configuration of such auxiliary brake lights.

Every motorcycle shall carry at the rear at least one or more red lights plainly visible in clear weather from a distance of 500 feet to the rear of such vehicle. Such tail lights shall be constructed and so mounted in their relation to the rear license plate as to illuminate the license plate with a white light so that the same may be read from a distance of 50 feet to the rear of such vehicle. Alternatively, a separate white light shall be so mounted as to illuminate the rear license plate from a distance of 50 feet to the rear of such vehicle. Any such tail lights or special white light shall be of a type approved by the Superintendent.